Yes phone, no texting?

I am going to enter college in a month or so as a freshman.

The problem is that although I do have a phone, I don't have texting.

Now in high school, I never had to use texting. I never had a girlfriend, and my friends could be contacted via IM or calls.

Now I'm reading some of the questions, and texting pops up in every other question.

How badly is not having texting going to screw up my first year of college? Should I try to change my plan and get texting?

Most Helpful Girl

• texting isn't a big deal but a lot of people use it. I like to text friends but I don't use it often now as I used to when I first started university because I'm busy. Right now I'm on vaca but it is sometimes helpful if I'm low on my minutes and I can just text what I could have said in half an hour in like 5 texts and I send it. ta-da! it's done. up to you.

What Girls Said 3

• texting would be fairly useful, seeing as most people (that I know, atleast) prefer it. but if you have other means of getting ahold of people that you're comfortable using, then I don't see why you would need texting. I go to college in a different country, and managed with just my phone plan and facebook. being one of those people who are fond of texting, however, I think I'm going to try and find an international plan for it.

• It really depends.

If you have a tight budget,then you shouldn't get texting "just because"

Texting is a good quick way of communicating.But sometimes it can get out of hands.

• Yeah, get texting. That's how almost everyone communicates. You might be missing out on events. I know a lot of my friends send out mmass texts to everyone when we're all getting together. It's easier than calling everyone one by one

What Guys Said 2

• I don't think it's a necessity, but it can be REALLY convenient when you just want to ask a simple question, or if you need to contact someone silently. When people have full scale 3 hours convos via them, well that I can't understand, but they're great for something quick and easy without getting into a full scale conversation.

• Bah, texting is overrated.

Think about this, you just said half the questions here involve something about texting, while this is a slight exaggeration, think about what that means.

Lots of people run into various problems when texting because it is a horrible way to communicate. Look at how many of the questions have to do with one person not knowing what the other person thinks or wants because THEY ARE COMMUNICATING PRIMARILY THROUGH TEXT.

If you want to get a text plan specifically to send messages (messages and conversations are completely different things) then go for it, but in my opinion, trying to use texting for conversation is a communication failure.