Does the distinction between Alpha and Beta males exist?

I was wondering if there is such a thing as Alpha males and Beta males. If so, I wonder what the characteristics are. I would be especially interested in what the ladies say. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• The whole Alpha/Beta thing might exist to a degree, but not in the same way that it does in, say, a wolfpack.

The wolves are pack hunters. There is a leader, and a bunch of followers/helpers. The leader is in charge, does a lot of the work, is generally bigger/stronger, gets his pick of the females, and gets his share of the food first. Without somebody to lead, the pack would be highly disorganized, ineffective, and likely die. Having a leader is necessary for their survival, so alphas must exist.

For humans, there is no pack hunting. I could survive just as easily being a freelance computer programmer as I could going and working for an elite team of programmers (in which I would not be the leader). In that regard, alphas do not necessarily exist, nor do they really need to.

That being said, in social situations, there is often a leader. He makes the choices, he makes the first moves, and he has the final word (unless everyone else chooses to outvote him, gotta love democracy). It makes him look confident, and it makes him look like a leader, so he typically gets everyone's attention before the followers (including female attention).

Also, people are not inherently "betas" or "alphas". I've had plenty of instances when I've led a group and done so very well. I've also had instances where I have been the follower, especially when I'm getting used to new social situations. It's less about individual characteristics, and more about who is in charge at the time.

What Girls Said 3

• yes. alpha males are confident and take charge of their own life. beta males just sit around waiting for everyone's approval and they're followers

• alpha male = leader, confident, respected, leader of the pack

beta male = follower, less confident, insecure, weaker

• Yeah. Alpha males suck and I'll never date one again. They're so controlling, everything has to be their way and they never apologize even when it's clearly their fault. I can't stand that

What Guys Said 1

• I think its just a label that's sort of made up. An "alfa male" is usually kinda a dead beat in my opinion. Kind of a loser. But girls would call them the alfa male because they're loud, get drunk, don't really care, rack up credit debt, etc. A beta male is one that is more passive.

In the animal kingdom, the alfa male is the leader of the pack. In some cases the alfa male is usually the first to die.