Would you date someone with a lazy eye?

I have a severely lazy eye. It goes outward, and almost never works with the other -- even with glasses and contacts. Due to how severe it is, surgery would not do much good. Besides, surgery is not something I can afford at the current time. So, I'm pretty much stuck with it.

I feel like it really hinders my social life, especially in the dating sense. After all, eye contact is so important, and I can't really make it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a lazy eye too!

Its my left eye. Because the muscle is weaker, when I try to focus, it has to turn in to focus so a lot of times eye contact may make me feel uncomfortable because my eye doesn't always cooporate.

I have never gotten any complaints relating to it. I can't prevent it, and if anyone asked about it, I would just be matter of fact about it. It doesn't mean I don't get insecure, it just means that I've gotta work with it sometimes. Sometimes my eye cooporates, and sometimes it doesnt.

Knowledge is power, learn about it and educate those who ask you.

What Guys Said 3

• Honestly, I would.

Maybe it would bother me a bit, but hey, no one is perfect right? A lazy eye isn't that much of a deal...

• I have a lazy eye too, and I have felt exactly the same way. Luckily, mine work together and I've had surgeries to realign them, but they're still not 100% together. Like kmhco said, I think the best thing is to embrace it and adapt to it. It's only a problem if you make it a problem, and if people don't like you because of it, that's their problem. I've explained it to my friends and they seem fascinated about it, I mean, you literally see the world in a different way! I have never had a negative reaction to my lazy eye, and yes, sometimes people think you're looking somewhere else, but if you explain it to them, any reasonable person will understand. It's not something you can get over overnight, but just keep telling yourself that it doesn't matter.

• No, that eye needs to get up and do some work like everyone else.

But seriously, I wouldn't really care.

What Girls Said 2

• the first answer (in the girls section) is right. you should embrace it because it is a part of you.

I have a lazy eye too and because I can control mine (most times), doctor's see it as something so minor that I shouldn't bother getting surgery done on it (and believe me, I wanted it). So, like you, I'm stuck with it so to speak :0

i've had my fair share of teasing. did it get to me, sometimes. and every now and then it still does. but I don't let that deter me socially. Lazy eye or not, I'm still me. I'm still the sarcastic, loving, easily annoyed by idiots, person that is CherryWill. Yes, people stress eye contact with dating. but they also stress confidence. and if you accept your lazy eye and not care what other people think, the RIGHT men will only see this confidence and should be able to look past something as minor in a relationship as a lazy eye.

• Embrace it! You should watch this...

link