Would you date somebody shorter than you?

I am specially interested in tall girl's opinion, those girls that are 5'10+. I know a girl who is 5'11 or 5'10ish, she is really attractive like model attractive, we get along very well and I am comfortable talking to her, with exception of one little thing: I am 5'7, so I am not very tall and off course below average. I have read questions where guys ask for girl's opinion of height and the answers never seem to favor the little guy.

• Yes I would there are other things more important than just looks.
  • No I wouldn't it would be awkward walking around getting stared at.
so its a tied huh?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm also 5'7", so I know what you're talking about. Unfortunately, all these typical USA girls are all about "being protected" and "cavemen also did that" and whatever the hell "evolution defines what I like about people" and all this stupid stuff...

Therefore they believe that a guy is supposed to be taller than them, and they'll be attracted only to guys who are taller than them. Unfortunately, it's a fact I proved on myself - if you think girls should be shorter, you'll be attracted to short girls. If you think girls should be your height... Then you'll be attracted to girls your height (primarily)... And that's what happened to me - which is why I never understood why it's a requirement for a guy to be taller. To me, it seems unpractical and stupid. But meh.

Anyways, the reason why I wouldn't really consider dating taller girls (yup, I reversed the question for my perspective) is because I know that she would feel weird about me being shorter. I don't see what people love about looking up or looking down when talking to people - it's the easiest if you are looking forward...

Long story short: Social influences cause most girls to be attracted to tall guys because they believe that that is the way guys are supposed to be like.

What Girls Said 24

• I see where your coming from, because I'm 5'9 and I always say that I have to go out with someone who is at least my height. But it depends how much I like the guy I guess, so she's probably the same, I don't know any girls that are that shallow that they wouldn't go out with someone whose a few inches smaller.

• I think those are the girls with insecurity issues, those blame guys for their own insecurities. I wouldn't date this guy, because I would feel this and that and I make sure I need to be this and that kind of thing.

• I'm 5'4 and I have dated a guy that's shorter than me. I'm ATTRACTED to guys that are either really tall or short. And actually, I've only dated one guy over 6 feet, one at 5'9-10, and all the rest no taller than 5'7. I like little guys, I think they're cozy.

• Some girls will date a shorter guy, for instance I probably would. The thing is, most guys aren't comfortable with it. You have to be OK with that she wears heels and will be even more taller than you. I myself am 6'0, and I've been attracted to shorter guys, (usually It's guys between 5'11-5'9), but they don't seem comfortable with it. As long as you don't feel emasculated, it's fine. :)

• I don't have a problem with it, I think it would be awesome all the attention I would get :D and thanks for your answer on my other question about shallowness. I said that you were shallow, but you are clearly not.

• Thank you! :)

• Awww, well I hope you two will work out. Look @ all the musicians who date taller women.

I think James Blunt isn't over 6 feet and was dating a runway model.

• Let's hope :)

• If you can see you two as having a really good relationship/connection and the *only* roadblock is a few inches...hopefully, she's more *evolved*. From the tall female friends I have, it's the evolutionary instinct of feeling *feminine*. Who knows, maybe your girl of interest is more evolved and doesn't care.

• Personally I'm 5' 1" and I've never met a guy (my age) who was shorter than me or even the same height as me, so it isn't much of a problem. I do like guys who are a lot taller than me though.

• I would rather NOT - BUT if I were really liking this person - their height would not matter to me at all unless they were like 3 feet tall - then I would be a problem - LOL -- No most females want a tall guy - BUT I am 5'8" my CHOICE would never be the short man - BUT if I were around him a lot and got to know and really like him and his personality - yeah I would deal with the height issue -- some woman don't mind at all

• From what it seems most women wouldn't date short guys but thanks anyways.

• No,I'm a girl and would not.I'm 5'3,most guys are taller than me.

Thumb me down,whatever,we all have preferences and taller is a preference.

• I would not date someone shorter than me (i'm 5'9)...short women don't understand it because when they go out (with heels) they are about 90% of the time shorter than the male in the club/bar as of me...i would say maybe 55-65% are taller than me...Some one said below that they don't think girls would be shallow to the point of not dating a shorter guy...I don't say it's shallow...I would like to ask everyone here...would you date someone who is about 100 pds overweight?..If so, (and you are a healthy sized person), then I respect you if you are being honest...but more the 99% of people wouldn't (again, healthy sized-people)...but you can change weight...that person can lose the weight...however, the short person is like that forever...there is no changing there...So no, I wouldn't date a shorter person...hope for you she is willing, but deep down I don,t think you are her ideal...sorry :S!

• But you can't relate height and weight though, they are too different things. You have control over your weight (unless you have a Thyroid problem), you don't have control over your height just like you mentioned, aren't you being a little unfair and not looking beyond his looks?. That's what people call being shallow.

• Well that is a personal preference....we all have one thing that we are totally not attracted to in the opposite sex...you might be to ashamed to say what it is...but you would totally overlook that person because of it (consciously or not)...we ALL do it...I not ashamed to say that for me..height is crutial...it sucks...but hey...it's MY personnal preference!!

• Well I already said the only thing that I wouldn't accept on a girl is if she doesn't take care of herself. I mean if she doesn't respect herself or takes care of herself, what makes you think I would too?. That's my opinion and I know a lot of guys said this too, but thanks anyways.

• i always have a thing for guys that are shorter than me, and I never seem to know why, cause I would prefer to have someone taller than me, but I'm 5'9 and my crush is 5'7 and it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. at this point, I look past his height, it doesn't even bother me anymore, and I was never worried about people looking at us. everything about him over powers him being shorter than me

• Women that like short guys or wouldn't have a problem dating short men I heard make really good mothers.

• Oh wow! ha ha I never knew that, that's pretty interesting!

• I certainly would prefer to date a taller guy, but I'm not opposed to dating a shorter guy.

• I really wonder where the women like you are.? Seriously what kind of girl are you? Are you from this planet? :P

• I'm pretty sure I'm just a normal girl from planet earth...

• I'm 5'1" so it would be hard to find a guy shorter! But still yes, if I liked him.

• I dated a shorter guy once and I honestly felt like I was dating my little brother. He was a year older than me and about 6 inches shorter. It was so weird. I'd never do it again.

• I am not sure how told you are, but would you be able to date someboyd closer to your height? Maybe like me? :) . Just a question

• I'm 5' 5'', so the lowest I'd go would be bout 5' 3''

• I think this is part of evolutionary psychology. Women tend to prefer men who are taller because on some level we want someone who we beleive will be able to protect us. If a guy is shorter than us, we feel like the protector, not the protected. Also, a tall man has more attractive 'genes'. To ensure that our offspring will also be tall and have more of a fighting chance.

• I agree :) I only ever date guys older and taller because they make me feel safe.. I'm 5"4 and I've only dated someone close to my height once but they were still a fair bit taller.. most of my other ex's were at least 6".

• I am sorry but that is a really bad argument, are you saying that girls that won't date short guys are still back in the stone age?

• of course guys would vote yes but most girls wouldn't

• Well what did you vote?

• I voted no..i dated this kid bak in the 6th grade but I dumped him because he was a couple inches shorter than me and other things too...but mainly because of height srry =]

• Im just at 5'8"

and I like it when guys are taller than me...

as hard as that is to come across

• I'm 5'6, and I prefer taller guys. I dated guys who were around my height or shorter in the past and it felt weird. So yes, height is definitely an important factor.

• Im 5'8 so its common to have a guy shorter then me, and that has never bothered me. Infact I've dated a couple of guys shorter then me

• I'm 5'6 and I've dated a guy as short as 4'8. :)

• It depends how much shorter. As a girl, I don't think I could be attracted to a guy more than five inches or so shorter than me. Height isn't the most important thing, but there is such a thing as too extreme.

• Glad I don't know you then. I'm seven inches shorter than my wife.

• Well, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm glad it's worked out for you. I'm just not sure I personally could handle such an extreme size difference (in EITHER direction, really). It's hard to find a guy shorter than me, but if a guy is unusually short, I figure he's better suited to unusually short girls. And if something works between him and a taller girl, fantastic, but I'm not going to feel guilty for not being that girl. But who knows, maybe if I met the right guy, I wouldn't care.

• yes I would, cause its hard to find someone taller than 6'4'' lol ;)

• I would definately date a guy shorter than me I think guys that are shorter are really cute :P

• You're wrong, my dear. I'm proof positive you can be short and as un-cute as can be at the same time.

• I am a black woman, there are many guys that wouldn't date me because they are not into black girls. That doesn't make them shallow or racist its just their preference.

Just like some women do not like short men-its not that they are saying that there is anything wrong with them.

Its not shallow

• I don't know about you but you got it all wrong I would date any body from any race as matter of fact Kassie and Doutsen Kroes are my crushes.

• Well said anonymous!!!

• Hmmm OK thanks.

• i'm 5'7. I would prefer to date a taller guy, but yes I would date a shorter guy (5'6+) if I really liked him and he had other appealing qualities to make up for it

i prefer to date taller guys because I like being smaller than the guy I'm with. I feel more masculine if I'm bigger than the guy

• I am a tall woman and I have dated a shorter guy and didn't like how it made me feel. I like wearing heels and felt I couldn't when I was with him. It also somehow made me feel masculine. Dating a tall man just feels like the right fit, I feel feminine and protected. Apart from that tall men are just my preference as someone who has tried both.

• I completely agree with you...my last boyfriend was my height...and I felt masculine beside him..and he had close to 80 pds on me...I like to feel feminine and protected!!!

• I wish you would show me where I stated that I would never date a short man again? I've simply outlined my preference AND given reasons.

you seem to have trouble accepting som1 elses opinion which is why you've resorted to being rude and putting words into my mouth. It just sounds like sour grapes on your part and makes you sound bitter and whiney.

If she isn't into you it might not be becos of your height it could be because of your obvious insecurity-which is a big turnoff to most women.

• I don't have an insecurity issue. I did said that I want to date but I know how much crap you guys put on guys just because he is not this and that, in this case it would be the guys height. I don't have an insecurity issue, you on the other hand seem to have a pretty big issue since you cannot date someone that doesn't qualify as a "protector", so you put your insecurities as other people's problems because you can't deal with them, or you are not strong enough to deal with them yourself.

What Guys Said 4

• Girls have a real issue being taller. I saw some research just the other day that in Western marriages, 97% of men are taller. I guess guys would also have a problem being shorter.

Even societies where selection for height is ignored (central Africa because heights between genders is more balanced, and the Middle East because of arranged marriages), 90% of men are taller.

I have no problem dating taller girls. Probably stems from the hottest girl I ever dated being 2 inches taller than me (I'm 5' 9"), and she would wear 3 inch heels as well at night.

How to get the girl that's taller than you? Never bring up your height, even a postive comment like how you're comfortable with it. Regarding hers, the odd neg (think light teasing) once rapport/comfort is built to break down any final barriers.

• in general the guy likes to be taller than the girl... and the girl likes to b shorter than the guy...

• To be honest I wouldn't care to date a girl taller than me, I have dated girls below my height and that was good, but it would be great to date a taller girl

• Everyones dif. but most guys would rather have a shorter girl than a taller girl... MOST not all

• I'm 6'0"... I once dated a chick who is 6'5"... she hadta lean down to kiss me...

• Now here on this page, all the shallow stupid cavewomen will show up, the ones that want to be protected from dinosaurs and tigers with horns. (those are better left off for the sharks with legs as dessert, I wouldn't shed a tear)

On the other hand, all the awesome self-confident healthy attitude girls will show up as well, those who believe in such things called equality, cooperation and have no complex issues.

• Hahahahaha you make a good point, if they are so scared of somebody or something, they should just buy a dog to do the protecting for them.

• Exactly, they think we're their dogs or something? LOL

and another thing I just thought of today, if tall women went with slightly shorter guys it would always be good for the offspring, and vice versa, tall guys going with the slightly shorter or short girls would produce average to tall children. But the way those shallow girls view it there will always be short people but lesser and lesser taller people.