Are a drunken man's words a sober man's thoughts?

Hey guys, maybe you can shed some light on the subject. OK so, I have gotten to be super close with one of my best friends which is understandable he is one of my best friends. This has transpired over the past 5 years approx. He has a girlfriend who he has been with for quite some time and I truly believe he loves her etc. About 3 years ago the drunk text messages started they got worse or better depending how you look at it ha ha and finally I called him out on it in a joking way but it got the point across. It stopped but the flirting didn't I try to keep it funny as in joking but part of me thinks he's serious and I ignore that sense. We hang out all the time and talk to each other almost every day. I know he sees me more than her which I find disturbing. I love him to death ( as a friend) and maybe if it were another time and another place it would have worked and been appropriate. Long story short are a drunken man's words a sober mans thoughts? and if so what do I do? How do I treat this situation?

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh girl, do I SO feel your pain! I'm totally in the same spot currently, so I feel where you're coming from! I say, definitely, drunken texts/words are absolutely sober thoughts - alcohol makes all inhibitions go bye bye, lol, so it's easier to be straight out. And since he's been doing it for so long, if he wasn't serious, it would have stopped a long time ago. He obviously feels very comfortable with the flirting and "joking" and texts because if he felt bad he wouldn't be doing it, lol.

Well it sounds like you're like me, basically, you COULD possibly be with him if circumstances were different, but they're not, and since he's a best friend, you'd rather just keep that as is. If you ant to keep it absolutely platonic, I wouldn't encourage the behavior by flirting back or joking back in that manner. If he texts "those" kind of texts when he's drunk, I wouldn't respond. OR if you do respond to anything, always make sure it's 100% platonic :). Good luck girl!

What Guys Said 1

• He likes you, and probably likes his girlfriend a lot also... everybody wants what they don't have... there is a good quote that says "much truth is said in jest" which means when someone jokes about something, often they are saying the truth... I think its obvious he likes you, probably just wants you to commit before he calls it off with his current girlfriend... not willing to lose her unless he gains you...

What Girls Said 1

• Dont flirt, stop messaging, hang out less. If you really don't wanna mess with his relationship you will back away a bit and allow the space for his girlfriend to fill the spot which you are currently holding in his life. You may not like it, but unless you want him to fall for you completely, its the only option you have. Cause right now, you are his girlfriend, all except for the sex.