What's your opinion about Internet dating and dating sites?

Is it wrong it meet someone online? There are the usual risks involved but with these aside do you think this is something that is good for society?

this is a very open ended topic...so I'm leaving it for you guys...

p.s. Sorry guys, I have not done this in a long time, I've found it hard to get the time to come on here...

• I have never did any online dating and don't want to.
  • I have an internet dating site account for fun (just to see what its all about).
  • I have done some internet dating.
  • I fully believe in internet dating and believe it has opened up the world.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 15

• I'm gonna answer and fully say everything I want to say, but... It's going to be tough. Online Dating. Wow. I am kind of an advocate for online dating. However the man I met I did not meet on eHarmony or Perfectmatch.com. We met right here, on GirlsAskGuys. The fact that we met, was completely by accident. The fact that we continued to message each other here wasn't by accident, but just kept us entertained. By the time he got high speed internet and could IM me, we never stopped. We talked for hours on end. Things went from an accident to great friends in no time. I felt like I could completely trust him. Not long after, we traded phone numbers and called each other every day. He never left my mind. Now every day we skype. I can gaze into his eyes and I can say I Love You all I want. The best part however is that, our meetings didn't end there. Just this month, he flew out to see me. And I had the best week of my entire life.

Although the distance is a hard factor to get over, He in Washington and me in Kansas, the internet made all of this possible. And I understand that some people truly don't believe in Soul Mates. But I do believe that there is someone out there for everyone that is destined to be with you. Without the internet and the power of GAG, I would never have met mine. Now, the next step is me flying out to him. But then, I plan to move there. A week at a time isn't enough. Now I long to kiss him all of the time.

So the answers to your questions. Is it wrong to meet someone online. Hell no. In fact One in six marriages occur from the couple meeting online. There are risks, but all love has risks... Right? Overall, if 1 in 6 marriages comes from online dating, then there has to be something good about it. It may have changed society and some people are afraid of change, but I believe it to be for the better.

Like I said, because I am in Love and met the man of my dreams online, I realize just how powerful everything you say and do on the internet can be. I realize that love can spark from anything. I have learned so many lessons from all of it. Including when you aren't looking for love, it finds you. And his favorite saying, It has to get worse, before it can get better.

As an advocate to Online Dating,

I am open to any and all questions. I realize there are people out there who would and will judge me for online dating. But, It gave me the best thing I could ever ask for.

Ashley ^_^

• I tried it for a while. I found it very easy to meet people, and easy to find people who were interesting to talk to, but not an extremely good way to find romantic partners. You can tell a lot about a person by looking them up online and chatting with them, but sometimes, online profiles don't tell the whole story, and you just can't tell if there will be chemistry until you actually meet in person.

• i haven't used a dating site myself but I voted D because I'm all for them and just some success must make them good. its given people an opportunity to meet people theyd otherwise never have a chance to. as long as used safely and sensibly they are great.

• I think it's an age thing. The older you get, the more difficult it is to meet a wide-range of people (outside college.) Internet dating is nice when you get into your mid-twenties and later, because by then you probably an established social group, and meeting more new people can be difficult to do (and you've already exhausted your social group for potential dates.)

• i have had 2 online dates this year and they were both nightmares - the guys were NOT even close to attractive - and I would NOT do it again -i mean men face to face on the regular - that was just something to do when I had a break up because the best way to get over one guy is to get a new guy - but after meeting each guy I NEVER talked them again and let it be known that I was NOT interested in them at all... Chemistry is key - I think meeting in person is MUCH better and men are everywhere - and I think the online guys meet one female - conquest - then they go to the next female because there are so many options.

• I've seen the side of both sides.. lol. Married a guy I met on the net. It only lasted 3 yrs. We barely knew each other. Now I'm dating a man that found me on an internet site. We've been dating over a year and are living together. Still learning about each other, of course, and it's great. We actually see and feel and interact more than IMing or e-mails, which don't provide nearly enough info about a person compared to reality. A person can lie through typed word with no problems. Acting like a totally different person to get approval of another is easy when they don't see you. Reality keeps the lies from blinding you. When you're really seeing the person, you can know the true person, not just who they claim to be. I believe you can find a person to love through the internet, but ONLY interacting on the net is foolish if you expect the relationship to go any farther than online. For true love, reality is a MUST!

• I like dating sites. I have found some nice guys on those, and my mom met her boyfriend on one and they have now been dating for over a year, and we see him almost every day.

• I have done it before, but I'm not planning on doing it again any time soon.

I don't believe it's all bad, but I mean, it's the Internet. Anyone can pretend to be whoever they want. If someone does not have time to go out and try to get a date, online dating sites may be an option that person would consider. I don't see any harm in that.

But I personally would much rather meet guys in person. :)

• depends on the site you use I guess... I've met my ex on skype actually :) I find it's important to take more time to talk online before meeting the person, since it's not someone that anyone you know know, generally. So have to be careful. But in our day and age, internet is just another source, and it's all about how you use it.

• ive never done it and prob never will. I do know a couple of people who have done it thoug. both got married, one marriage lasted, the other didn't.

• It is a headache .. I will never love or even just like a guy over internet.

• You could ask the guy over the internet for a phone number and call him. Then you could fall in love after having many conversations over the phone.

• NO,it's all the same.

it will just bring sadnees and wishful bullsh.

i mean the best way to know someone and love them for who they really are is in person.

but a dumb thing like this is the most annoying thing ever.

i can't be in a relationship with some1 if I didn't know or even meet him in person.

it is a lost case.

• So your THAT against it... you know you will meet up with creeps dating the old fashioned way... most people will do everything else online... but they will often be deathly afraid to do any i-net dating. Strange...

• I personally wouldn't do it, but my cousin and his wife met on eharmony or something and they've been married for a while. They actually just had their first child :) So, I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just not for everyone. And you definitely have to watch out for some creeps on there.

• I found one guy purely online on craigslist and it turned out OK. He was a real person, and so was I. we started out around December talking through email every single day, then we talked on the phone for a bit. Then we finally met on valentines day and had lunch, then we went out a few times and he kept on asking me for more dates (likes movies, canoeing, kayaking, stuff like that). we added each other on facebook, so when I got a boyfriend that I sort of knew from way back then (5th grade), I put in a relationship and he still asked me on dates even though I had a boyfriend. finally I got married and then he moved away =(... but yeah, I didn't feel like he was the one for me anyways but he was a nice lonely guy from another state who moved to the state I was in for work... and he needed friends his own age because he said all his co-workers were really old.

• It's actually kind of nice, but I guess I always felt dumb, so I never did meet anyone in person. I made an account for fun, and some guys were pretty nice, but I didn't let anything go far.

• Any online dating I've done is through games, every once in a while I'd use the couple feature, but I nvr really took it srsly. Part of me still believes that 80% of every hot person on the net is a fat pedophile...

I've seen how very untrue that can be, I but I can't forget it.

What Guys Said 12

• I think that meeting online is a good way for people who are socially awkward, such as aspies, to be able to network and meet other people. Only for the initial meeting/introduction, however. I think that before you can begin to explore the possibility of becoming a coupl,e you should start meeting and hanging out regularly in person.

• Its good and its bad. Like everything it depends how you use it.

Organised Internet dating is "very bad". Its all about selling an idea (and is esencially charging people for being lonely and often is about giving people false hopes of meeting their "perfect" partner [in the shallow sense]).

However, IRC and other online social sites are great! :) I'm not here for dating but I've made some very close friends here, at least one of which I would date.

I've never planned to date someone online, but I have meet someone online and we got together through share interests.

In the overall, I say online dating is erring on the "negative" side because

1) Its always better to meet people by living your IRL life.

2) Internet dating can give you a unrealistic impression of dating that just doesn't translate to real life

3) Online, its much easier to fall in love with the idea of a person than in real life dating

• I've never done any online dating, and don't want to. But I have met a girl I would love to date, and were pretty close friends, but from where were about two states apart it's not gunna happen most likely. However like I said were pretty close friends and what not, and she cares and I care about her too. So yeah.

• Internet dating is great, and I think in the future everyone will do it. Everyone who wants a relationship, at least, will do it. You get to look for people you have things in common with and not waste your time dating people who would never work out.

• you kinda left out the never again part lol

awkaward people is one version who date... married people looking for outs are others... However there are some people who litterally have no time to get out of the house and meet people who are awesome people. They are just on the more rare side

Oh another option a friend of mine met a girl and got conned out of $3k... There are some scams going on. I've found one, but now have to figure out what actions I can take to bust these people.

• I see nothing wrong with it at all. It can open up your horizons and find really nice people. I met a good friend through them, and the last girl I dated was also off the internet. Ultimately chemistry has to be there though, both online and in reality. Some people you will like the look of and it either won't be mutual or you won't click. The girl I said I'd been dating, I would have never have met if it hadn't been for the internet, she lived in a part of a nearby town I'd never been to before, her job meant we would have never ever crossed paths, and her social life would have meant we would have never got chatting randomly in a bar/club on a night out either.

Yes there are people out there who use it purely for 1 thing, but there are also those of us out there who want more than that. Nothing should be written off as a way of meeting new people

• Met my wife online - I'm sure not complaining. (9 years - 8 marriage)

• Im not a fan of it. I've tried it twice and both times after I did the survey I was told 'there is no one that we could find that would be compatible with you'.

Getting that on an online dating site of all places is pretty depressing...

• Ive done it... internet dating... it's as challenging as regular dating... the internet has changed the dating game... but people do have (still have) hang-ups about most things beyond their control.. that's what kills most people in the dating game, regular dating or internet dating...

• Yeah. There's not all that much difference between internet dating and regular dating. A lot of the internet dating scene is the same as the dating scene. It's just faster, and a little more convenient in some ways. It also opens up the chance of somebody getting to know you for you, before they meet you. Whereas there's a lot of people in the world who judge you on your appearance from the getgo and take their impression of the appearance as fact and never waver from it. Not as much on the net.

• Erghhh. I met a boy online once, and we dated, and it was great, untill we met up. He was a real creep, and he made me pay for his sh*t, despite taking me out, haha. Then he got violent with me...

I ditched, aheh.

• I tried it once, but it was a piece of sh*t.

• I've made an account under an other person's information (and picture), and just had fun.

I used to talk to ugly chicks or girls that obviously had glaring emotionaly and psychological issues. Get them comfortable; make them feel good; make them feel better about themselves; get them to play a few games and a little hard to get; make them feel safe; have them gas themselves up; and then just let them know that I was totally kidding and just having fun at their expense. lol