Would your family be OK if you dated someone outside of your race?

all in the title^^^

I'm glad to see you guys and your families are open minded. I'm just asking because I know several of my friends' parents would not be OK if they dated outside of their race. I mean, they wouldn't forbid it, but they wouldn't exactly be happy with it eith

Most Helpful Guy

• I only date black women, and my mother (my father has passed on) is perfectly fine with it. I'm fortunate to have grown up in a family of enlightened, openminded individuals. Anyone who has a problem with such a thing is a flat-out small-minded bigot. This isn't to infer they are evil people, only deeply flawed.

What Guys Said 14

• Even if they weren't okay with it, I would not care. I date who I want.

• We all came from Africa so the scientists say ( link ). My family only wants me to be happy regardless of what race I am with.

• My family would be supportive of it.

• No, they wouldn't, at all. No one ever looks good on human to animal relationships. Which I think is really narrow minded. I mean, I heard they allow interracial marriages in america. I mean if your able to marry outside the human race THERE of all places it mustn't be that bad.

If I was being serious, y'know, my family probably wouldn't mind that anyway, hahahaha

• They'd be fine. My parents don't really have room to be apprehensive in regards to any women I bring home.

I stand to face so much adversity from the other end on a consistent basis. My parents know how that is. And they wouldn't want to bring down upon me what any of my partner's parents will likely bring upon them.

• why is that?

• I'm usually in the OTHER role, where I face skepticism and apprehension from the parents of a girl that I'm trying to date. Such is not to say that this is an issue in every case. It's just that to have disapproval from both ends would be a bit excessive, and my parents understand that. Although, regardless of the level of adversity, they really don't care about ethnic background anyway. They just want me to find a girl who's intelligent and sophisticated.

• no they wouldn't and I can understand that. but I do not have any harsh feelings toward any other race

• yes they are OK with it :D

• No they wouldn't, I don't understand why they'd care about Black, White, Hispanic or Asian.

• yes, they would be OK with it.

but I donĀ“t see myself dating non-white girls

• to say the least...they do

• My mom would be the only one who would maybe act a little funny about it at first but everyone else would be fine. But she trust me and would get over it with time if she saw that I was really feeling her.

• My family wouldn't care.

• no way

my parents would freak even if a girl called the house in general lol

• you make it sound like other races are different creatures, like animals or something, who teaches you this stuff?

• i never said that nor did I imply that. but like it or not, some families, even in this day and age, have strong opinions about what race their children brings into the family. I"m glad that your family is open minded, but that's not the case with all

• is it cultural? or it is just how people look like? skin colour? because if it was only the looks then that's silly, I mean everybody seems to love blacks for example, they're nice and all... asians depends, lots of hindu people are creeps, chinese are nice but not all, japanese are cool, middle eastern are mostly good... I don't see where the problem resides with racists, do you recall knowing of non white racists?

What Girls Said 15

• I personally don't care, just as long as I like that person I'm dating..

but my parents on the other hand.. I don't need them to tell me, I already know their answer. My mom would be okay, and my dad would reaallllyyyy want me to date someone of my race..

• my dad is OK with it, but my mom isn't

• Yes, my parents are very understanding, they wouldn't butt in my dating life.

• Yeah! My parents only care that the guys I date are going somewhere with their lives, and that they treat me with respect.

• Yes.

I myself,am the product of interracial love...they only care if the guy has no ambitions or future

• My parents know I only date white guys (I'm black) and they don't care... they support whatever I want as long as he is a good person and treats me with respect

• Yeah my family wouldn't care.

• I think they'd prefer for me to bring home a black guy, but no one actually thinks it's gonna happen. lol

• I'm actually going through that now. (I'm white, boyfriend is black). At first my mom hated it but now she doesn't care and my dad doesn't really like it but he doesn't stop me. But even if my parents told me to break up with him (they have before) I wouldn't/didnt do it. It's my life, I respect their opinion but in the end I'm going to do what I want and what's best for me:)

• yah definitely :)

• To say the least, they would be okay with it. I'm not saying they wouldn't be surprise if I took a black guy home one day, you know.

• they would prefer me to find a black american guy but they would understand if I met a good man that made me happy of another race. I think they would be more surprised if anything lol. now my extended family wouldn't be cool with it at all

• Yeah I guess. My mom wasn't too keen when I dated a Hispanic dude. She probably wouldn't be thrilled if I dated a black dude either. Never Asian lol. But I'm 20 so who I date is my business. Mostly I stick to white guys. ^.^

• my mom would be slightly skeptical if I brought home a very dark black man.

or a very mexican asian...

i wouldn't say problem just kinda like..."hmmmmmmmm" then shed prob get over it and like them.

but my dad, he wouldn't care. now if they were another female...God have mercy on my soul.

• its mostly religion for me. but I mean since people of other races aren't really my religion you can say that they do care. most of the guys I have dated though have been of different races than me so I guess I don't really follow what they would want.

race really isn't all that important to me but many races don't follow my religion which is something my parents care about.