What do you consider to be "officially dating"?

My name is Brian, and I am a 16 year old junior in high school. I am currently dating an 18 year old freshman girl in college, and I am seeking some dating advise. By the way if you just don't wanna read all this then just answer the question given in the subject title. But it's a good read and will help you understand my point of view on things. I promise I will applaud whoever had read the entire thing. Okay, so here's my story. - - I've been dating this girl for about a week now. Our first kiss was last Sunday, and we've kissed every time we've seen each other ever since, but we haven't really made out yet or gone past first base. I've known her and liked her ever since she was still in high school as a senior, and she kinda liked me a little too. But when she was in high school, she was also dating a senior. Then that senior moved away for college and she stayed home, and then we hung out even more and eventually went out. Now the ex boyfriend is coming back for... Show More

Most Helpful Girl

• okay so I read the whole thing and I definitely have an answer for you. You said you guys have been "dating for a week." I'm assuming this means you've been on dates during the past week. Just because you guys have kissed and been on a few dates does not mean you guys are exclusive (this is what I would call "official dating) or are boyfriend and girlfriend yet. You haven't asked her out and even though you really like her she can still go out with other guys unless you guys have clearly established that you guys are only seeing each other and no one else (which it doesn't sound like it does).

oh and when she said there wasn't anything official to tell her ex she means that you guys are not girlfriend and boyfriend which is what "official" means. oh and to answer one of your questions, kissing does not mean you're officially dating. sorry. I guess you guys are "dating" but you are not official (aka exclusive). You guys have to have a talk to establish those kinds of boundaries. I don't see what the rush is though. you should take your time

oh and just be aware that high school and college relationships often don't work out. they're two different worlds unless she lives at home with her parents still