Guys, what does it mean when you give a girl your jacket?

When a girl is cold.. do you give a girl your jacket just to be a gentleman with no romantic feelings involved or do you usually give it to a girl that you're interested in?

Just wondering :]

Most Helpful Guy

• In my culture (I am Ukrainian) it is a standard thing to do. Noone would be surprised if at the wedding the husband lends his jacket to a female guest. Men care for women, it is just the way it is. It is in my genes, I do it automatically, without even thinking.

To be honest, I am having a bit of problem adjusting to North American culture. I am not used to seeing girls/women standing in the bus and men not letting them have their seat. In my culture that would be frowned down upon. I always give my seat whenever a girl is standing and some find it offensive, because that hurts their "equality." Call me whatever you want, but when helping a mother carry a stroller up the stairs makes you a creep, then something is just wrong.

Just the other day I was standing at the bus stop and it was pouring rain. The girl next to me didn't have a rainproof coat on so I placed my umbrella over her. She asked me why I did that, and just couldn't understand why would I, voluntarily, choose to get soaked just to make sure her, some random girl "I probably don't even care about", stays dry.

I am sorry, but I just can't let a girl stand out in the rain or freeze without a coat.

Just my 2 cents.

• glad to know there are some gentlemen left in the world

• Aww ha ha :')

@Whim_Q that's an ignorant thing to say. "We prefer European men" shows how stupid you are to put every other kind of man down based on a quality that other nationality groups may also have.

What Guys Said 7

• I'll just give a girl my jacket if it's a girl I am close with.

If I give my jacket to a girl and rub her shoulders to warm her up then I like her. Also I will suck her into my jacket with me wearing it as an excuse to get closer to her in a cuddling manner. :)

• For the most part, it's a chivalrous act much like opening doors. No man wants to be the one who misses such an easy opportunity to show off their masculinity.

To answer your question, romantic feelings don't have to be involved, it's just a common courtesy. When we are both "in the mood", it can certainly make the process more enjoyable. Haha.

• For the most part to be a gentleman, but a little bit of romantic feelings too. :)

• I've never had the chance to do it so I was kind of unsure what to say.

• Typically I'm just trying to be nice but won't do it unless its a girl I'd be open to be with...

• I would do it without any romantic feelings involved. If she's cold, she's cold. I'm generally much warmer than everyone else around me, so I likely wouldn't have a problem with it.

• Well, I would do it regardless even if I'm in a relationship but, yes it's a old way of showing that were interested.

• because you care about them. You don't necessarily have to be interested in them.

What Girls Said 1

• I'm not a guy but I think they are just thinking to keep a girl warm. I know a lot of romantic movies emphasise the fact that if the guy gives you his jacket he likes you. He probably cares for you and is concerned you are cold and being a good friend or gentlemen. Basically I can definitely say he is caring of the girl but can't really say it is a que to a guy liking you in a special way. Some of my guy friends are just very thoughtful and if it starts to get cold and I didn't bring a jacket for some reason.. they kindly offer. Nothing special between us. The guy who offers you the jacket could possibly like you, but you cannot really base it on the fact that he gave you the jacket in the first place..

• Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I'm not basing his feelings off of a jacket, don't worry haha. It just got me thinking about how guys view the act. Thanks for answering :]

• np ha ha but sure, he might like you as well :)