Do you think its smart to become attached to a person you met online?

Im thinking that its probably not too smart to become attached to someone that you meet online. It has never really happened to me before and I just don't think it would be a good idea for me to. People can be what ever they want to be in cyberspace because they always have time to think before they type. Since I have never really been a chatroom or a myspace guy, I don't really have much experience with online friendships. Anyone with any insight into this topic, I would love to hear from you.

• Making real friends or people you can care about is only for the real world.
  • I'm closer to my online friends than most of my day to day friends!

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depends. There are the same risks in real life as there are in cyberspace. People can pretend to be something they are not face to face as they can online. The only difference is that face to face you are 100% sure of what they look like, other than that, they can fake a personality, lie about age, lie about their careers, lie about their family and pretend to be something they're not the same way they can online. The thing about the internet is that it opens up more opportunities to meet people you probably never would have otherwise.

I don't recommend getting attached to someone online or offline. Either way it is unhealthy. However, I can see how it can happen. It may not be the smartest thing to do but online you can form connections because the monitor gives you the comfort to talk about anything without feeling stupid because the other person isn't looking at you.

Look at this way.do you consider yourself a cool, smart, nice, normal guy? You're answer would probably be a yes. If so, would you want to be judged negatively just because you have a myspace/facebook and/or chat? (I know you said you don't do that but assuming you did) You wouldn't want to be seen in a negative way because of that. Chatting, Myspace, Facebook and other social networks on the net have become soooo common these days that there is nothing wrong with making friends and even dating people you meet that way. At the end of the day, you are doing the same thing you would at the mall, a bar, a club, ect.you are meeting and getting to know new people.you just have a lot more options online. It's quite normal today.

Ofcourse, in my case, if I meet someone that way I keep it local. Why form a connection with someone I'll never ever meet because they live 15,000 miles away when I could just as easily try and meet people around my area? That's my only thing with it. And ofcourse, everyone already knows all the security measures when meeting people from the net.meet in a public place, daylight, get to know them face to face, meet their friends/family if something might develop, see what they are truly about. You could end up never seeing them again, dating them, marrying them, FWBing them or just a good friend.

To answer your question in a sentence.No, I don't think getting attached to someone in any form is smart ;)

• You must be a lonely person with an attitude like that. And I didn't lie about never really using chatrooms. I don't really lie very much. Maybe little things to keep someones feelings from getting hurt. That's really it, though. The truth will set you free and all that. Thanks for the reply, though.

• I am not mad at you, I just don't think its good to never get attached to someone in any form, I meant that that sounded lonely, sorry.

• Ohhh ok, heh sorry, I get you

What Girls Said 8

• I think that connections can be made with people online, but I also think that these connections can only be validated by meeting someone face to face. People can be whoever they want to be with a computer in front of them. While, I do believe that in every situation, some part of your real personality will come out, you have the ability to mask that behind alter egos in cyber space. So it's kind of like a catch 22. On one hand, the internet is a great place to meet people, on the other, how legitimate are they. And, unfortunately, every situation can be different.

• I met and married a wonderful man that I met online--we have a baby and an extremely happy marriage for years -- I am blessed.

I mean, you c an meet losers and psychos in real life too.and people can lie to face just as easy as on a computer--it's about wading through the BS and there I a way to do it, off line and on.

• I think it is fine to be attached to your friends. Not being physically in front of someone doesn't mean you can't get enjoyment from conversing with them. The Internet just makes it so you can talk to people you would never have the chance of talking to before. Like a woman in California for example :)

• I do get where you are coming from. Before last week I hadn't talked to someone online since freshman year. It's not really like me to be excited to check my e-mail.

• Maybe, its because I have such a nice penis! lol

• Depends on the situation. I met my boyfriend online although we do see each other quite often and are in love. Although he wanted to meet up with this other girl from online, who I was paranoid about since he talked to her so damn much and they were apparently so "alike". After he lied to me about her and arranged to meet up with her behind my back he had a hard time accepting that I didn't want him to speak to her anymore, and had a hard time blocking her.

• I met the love of my life online and we spent a whole two wonderful years together till we broke up for some certain reasons and I do believe that good and bad people are everywhere it's just another way how you get to know new people.

• ehh. do you plan on meeting them. or her?

• If you are really into her,

• I've made some good friends online and even dated. It is a bit of a challenge and a lot of pros and cons, but for some people it works and they find romance. Yes, it's a bit scary but also exciting if you're careful and real. I know of people that have met on the internet and ended up getting married and then there are these stories of people not being who they thought they were. It's risky, but it could be a good thing. Real life is better, but for a lot people that aren't into the bar and club scene, it's hard to meet people especially in rural areas of the country. The internet is just another way of meeting someone new and surrendering to chance.

What Guys Said 3

• There's something special about seeing someone face to face. The computer is a wall. Shoot even the phone is wall. When you are face to face with someone, you can feel their essence. You can really get a feel for if the two of you will get along or not. I like to compare to buying a CD. Yes, you can get it online through iTunes without leaving your home. However, there is something special about going out and holding that album. Having that physical album in your hand reminds you of all the work that went into it. When you are talking to a person who is right in front of you, you can see that he/she is a living, breathing person with soul. You will be able to see all of the "work" that went through their life.

• Lol, I have more mp3s than anyone you have ever met.

• LOL! I do too. But I mean for an artist I really enjoy. I take the time to go to the store and buy it. It's the same when you meet someone new that you may have an interest in. Do you really want to talk to them over the phone or through IM, or would you rather have them in front of you so you can see their expressions and really feel the vibe from them?

• its not a movie or a love story, you meeting that person in real life and getting even more attached if almost impossible. lets say that the person ur talking to was honest just to make things easy, how do you know that in real life you will feel the same about them as you did online.

• like you said its not only that they think before type anything but also most of the girls and guys in these sites are into games and wasting time only .cuz what the meaning of talking to someone for a while then when you try to ask them out they came up with some kind of excuses . but sometimes its work and its like 0.000001

• I dunno--I have met couples who are happy like me and the hubby--I think you just have to know how to weed out the playahs ( and I met plenty!)