Why don't many ladies cook anymore?

Why don't many ladies cook anymore? Are gender roles changing?

It seems like many Men are in the kitchen now as a way to woo a woman. It seems ladies have taken this as their chance to stop all the cooking to try and win a guys affection.

So seriously, is it just me thinking this, or do girls not cook anymore? I am not referring to mothers or much more mature ladies.

After reading all of these responses, I am pretty sure women have forgotten the age old secret to finding a man who will love you forever happily. The secret is in the form of a quote.

"The secret to a man's heart is through his stomach"

So I was thinking about this earlier today. Many times ladies get angry when a guy treats a girl like she is a piece of meat. I bet if a girl learned how to cook a actual piece of meat extremely well guys will stop treating her like she is one.promise
Do you think that neither a man or women cooking leads to eating out more? I hypothesize that a person in a home cooking is very unlikely to make a meal as fattening as restaurants can. Then that leads to obesity?Not cooking leads to obesity?
Let me add that I am not saying cooking is part of the "wooing process" that a girl must do to get a guy.

I am saying that a girl who already has a significant relationship SHOULD be able to help with the cooking. Show you care in the kitchen! :-)
A girl recently made me waffles with strawberries and blueberries. And bacon. Left me druelling...lol

Most Helpful Girl

• seriously?...It's not like women are sitting out there rubbing their hands together scheming of the next way we can dastardly take advantage of men...

honestly, most of us have been taught how to cook, its really not that difficult if you can read and can afford the ingredients.

I'll break it down for you like this. Back in the day, most women started their cooking careers when they got married and had a husband and soon after a family to feed. Now most people don't get married till their late 20's and early 30's. Cooking for your boyfriend was never part of the wooing process...as it should go, the male should do the wooing, not the female (although this can be different in some cases and I'm not saying that this is only way to go about it). If you're just cooking for yourself why take lots of time, effort and money when you're already pressed all for all three. This leads to my second point. Studies have shown that in the US there is a higher percentage of women that go to college as compared to men. This also leads you to believe that there's a higher percentage of women in successful, high-paying careers as well (since the two are directly correlated). This is not to say that there are no men out there who are successful or make lots of money, I'm just saying the balance is swaying. Therefore wouldn't it also fit that its more acceptable for the gender roles within the home to also sway?

So to sum this up...yes girls do cook, but because we're stressed, tired and poor (just like everyone else out there) we don't get fancy with it. And unless we feel like we want to do something really special for our guy, we're not going to cook every night for you unless you prove that you're worth our time. We're not scheming on how to make you love us as you seem to think.

• Beautifully said.

• guys like to cook to .. don't get sexist not

• exactly, most women know how to cook, its just that they are far too bone idle and lazy to do so, and thus rely on the man while they sit back and watch sh*t on TV.

Besides, womens food taste like sh*t. all the best chefs in the world are men. (ps. I'm a chef).

Same goes with hair cutting. I would NEVER EVER in my life let a woman hairdresser cut my hair. I learned that very valuable lesson when I was a kid. I think the government should force women from a young age to attend cooking classes.

GAG Video of the Day

How To Become A Morning Person

What Girls Said 70

• It takes a lot of time and effort to make a meal. And I have been using my cooking as a new strategy to woo a guy I like. I think it's working :) But it doesn't work for every guy. Some guys just don't appreciate a girl who can cook. If you don't appreciate it, then it becomes hard for the girl to stay motivated to do it.

It can also be a lot of stress and be expensive to buy all the ingredients. In my time dating, I have rarely, and I mean one guy has only cooked for me. So I think it works both ways. I met a guy once who thought that it was solely the woman's job to stay in the kitchen, clean and cook. Well he obviously didn't win my affections.

My strategy right now is to make a nice meal, and the guy I am wooing comes and helps me. Not because I have asked him to, he just helps because he wants to :) Makes me feel appreciated. And so I feel he deserves delicious food. And I make sure he gets a good meal when he comes to my house!

So if you want a woman to cook for you, or at least help, make it a rewarding experience for her too! Cooking together can be fun, and tell her how much you like cooking with her! She will be more apt to want to cook if you make it fun and show your appreciation!

• I tried cooking for a guy I liked once, on the advice of a male friend. Nope. Never again. I wasted my time and energy worrying about making the perfect dinner and having the perfect menu. He didn't even want to go out with me after that. Never again.

• was the food terrible.

• There is a chance the guy just wanted to have sex with you, did not like the meal or did not like you.

Cooking is in ADDITION to who you are, not everything.

• Guys don't want the 'perfect' meal or the 'perfect' woman. They want one that's good enough.

• I couldn't tell you. Maybe it has something to do with women having a wider array of hobbies that are considered 'acceptable' for a woman to have, in recent times, versus the almost mandatory every-woman-ends-up-a-housewife days. So it might not be that less women cook or enjoy cooking, so much as there are just a lot of other things out there to enjoy as well. And women who back in the day would likely have been stuck in the role of wife-mother-cook-housekeeper whether the cooking bit appealed to them or not, don't feel that kind of pressure anymore socially. They don't enjoy cooking, but would have done it anyway, whereas nowadays they don't enjoy cooking, so they don't cook. Times just change, and people change with them.

I don't believe that women should be forced into that kind of role, or that it should be frowned upon for men to take on that role. I feel that if you enjoy cooking and spending time in the kitchen, then you should do so, regardless of gender. And if you don't, then don't.

Personally, I like to cook. I cook and bake all the time. I enjoy it, and I'm good at it because I care enough and love it enough to be good at it. I cook for myself, and I like cooking for others, especially if they really enjoy and appreciate the food I prepare. I put in a lot of time and effort, so it's nice when people acknowledge that. On the other hand, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if I were the only one doing it, all the time. Then it becomes less of a joy, and more like a chore, and it's easy to end up feeling taken for granted. Ideally, I would love to be with a guy who can have fun in the kitchen with me sometimes, or even cook for ME on occasion, and appreciate food the way I do, all the intricacies and creativity that can go into it; Not just for how good something tastes when I make it for them. Though that's always a plus too. =P

• hahahaha this is funny, but, roles have reversed, women pay at the restaurant and men cook at home

• I love to cook, but then my mum's Italian so it's just this huge part of her culture. I think if I hadn't liked cooking I would have been disowned. I never have take aways, rarely eat out -only on special occasions and my mum and I cook fresh food every night and we sit down as a family to eat. I bake my own bread, grow most of my own vegetables, make my own candy and sweets and jams without the preservatives. I don't care it's old fashioned and I intend to continue this tradition when I have my own family. Doesn't mean I wouldn't let my man cook, just that I like to do it. I find it therapeutic..

• The first and only time I fell in love was to an Italian girl who could cook like a master.

It was Very nice!

More from Girls
65

What Guys Said 21

• Honestly, I think you're generalizing a bit too much.

It is true that gender roles have expanded (more so than reversed).

Single women (like single men) don't have as much time to cook because they have to balance everything in their lives, like a job. In the old days when women didn't work as much and got married earlier (to ensure they wouldn't have to work as much), they had more time to cook.

But also, most chefs in the world are men...and that hasn't changed over time. So I don't think there was ever a perception in society that women are better at cooking than men. The whole stereotype about women cooking came about because women had more time to cook, and now that this is no longer true, I think you'll find that both sexes like or dislike cooking equally.

Generally, guys try to impress women with skills in the kitchen for the same reason guys try to do anything to impress a woman. The woman, on the other hand, doesn't really have to go out of her way to impress a man she's trying to date except by being good company...that hasn't changed either.

Not every man cooks, but those who don't will do something else to try to impress women.

• This is such an interesting topic because here in europe, cooking is a big thing that is led by some of the best chefs in the world and nearly all are men. We see more male chefs on the TV cooking for celebrities and other people. I personally think men have accepted that being a chef and preparing food is no longer a girly thing, no longer the job of the woman and many men get in the kitchen now and "have a go" at cooking because if these chefs can cook? why can't us regular men? I for one am a great example of this, I would rather get in the kitchen and cook a fantastic meal for my women, because it is such a pleaser and it's interesting playing around with all those ingriedients and coming up with your own 'special' recipe or meal.

• I totally agree with you. Woman are tying to take other roles. Men doing the same. I feel a lot of men pamper themselves more than woman now too lol

In all honesty, I think its a womans job to cook and maintain, and a man's job to work.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's just how life has always been, and I'm not out to try and change something that's been working perfect for so long.

I honestly thinks its sad seeing a girl who reluctant to cook. Huge turn off for me, especially if she ever wants to have kids.

I prefer a wifey type. Not some feminist thinking she's a guy.

When it comes down to it. Woman are emotional. They make many decisions based on emotions. This is scientific fact. This is why many people don't want a woman as a president or running a major corporation.

And as stated before, there is a larger woman to man ratio.

Also, you can say that there are more woman in college, but college does not lead to success.

Last I checked, its the men running all the major corporations, its the men who dominate the art and music industry, and ironically its the men that dominate cooking! lol

I personally think woman are capable of learning at much faster rates. But when it comes down to it, its not just about the moment. Its about the moment and how you want it to lead into the future.

I honestly think woman are just much better at organization, preparing, etc. Woman are very good at keeping things together, where as men are more clumsy.

I know I drifted off the topic a little. But I believe it is important for a woman to know how to cook and care. Especially if she's going to be my wifey some day.

• Gender roles aren't changing, they're disappearing. We're coming closer to becoming one big unisex society where the only thing distinguishing one gender from the other is their reproductive organs. Depending on how you look at it, you can see it as a good thing or a bad thing. I see it as a good thing because it's pushing more toward true equality.

• That being said, I wouldn't want my woman to cook for me. I would want to cook for myself. I don't trust anyone else's cooking to meet the nutritional requirements I have set for myself, so I will gladly cook my own meal at night every night.

• Gender roles aren't quite disappearing either. Women are more obsessed with physically altering themselves to look pretty, and men are more obsessed with "alpha male" characteristics. Society as a whole has become more unisex, but that's only caused people to be more neurotic about gender and go to greater lengths to differentiate what makes them manly or womanly.

• I don't trust anyone else's cooking to meet the nutritional requirements I have set for myself, so I will gladly cook my own meal at night every night.

me too! lol

• My wife and I tend to share the cooking duties. Most of the time we do it together.

• good, I wish you the best of success in your marriage.

• Thank you. It's a good time to bond, talk about our days, etc. Plus I love grilling.

• yes yes yes yes yes!

"good time to bond"

Cooking is doing something constructive and loving together to provide for each other.

What more is there to make a relationship strong?

Anyway, again, have a great marriage!

More from Guys
16