I'm dating a guy with children; I'm not sure if I can handle it, advice?

First off I've been dating this guy for about 3 months. I'm almost 20 and he is 21, soon to be 22. I just recently figured out he had children. He never told me anything bout him having children when we first began dating. About a month into dating him, he mention something about is daughter during a conversation we had, which really caught me off guard. A few weeks ago he mention his son the same way! I was really upset because I felt that he should have told me about his children from the beginning. I NEVER date guys with kids. It's not that I don't like kids because I love kids! I just feel like guys with kids tend to have a lot of drama. My friends told me I was overreacting and that I should just give him a chance. I'm not sure if I want to even invest my time into someone with kids. If he couldn't be upfront with me about his children, there's no telling what else he keeps behind closed doors. I'm kind of torn between the two. I really need some outside advice.

Thanks in Advance

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Ask him why he didn't tell you upfront he had children. You need to know the whole package and you didn't, before you invest in a relationship.

I totally understand why you wouldn't want to be like a "mom" for a relationship that he isn't even totally honest about it upfront.

You should realize that with kids, you will have to be like a "mom" and they might become attached to you if you stay in the relationship for long.

Also I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with a guy with kids because I feel the kids need their actual mom and I can't be their actual mom ever. If you want to fill that "position" some day then go ahead, but if you look ahead and don't want to then just don't invest anymore time. You're only dating so it's good to break it off before it gets more serious.

• The children actually live with their mom... since they have been broken up, she won't let him see his kids. He says its because he doesn't want to be with her, but I don't know if its more behind that or what.