Question about kissing.

Hi guys !

So I'm latina and in our culture we kiss... alot. I kiss EVERYONE on the cheek when I'm back home. it's just a way to say hello and then when you're leaving a way to say goodbye.

I've noticed that in the US this isn't the same. No one ever kisses here! and I commented this to a friend of mine and she told me that no way people never kiss on the cheek casually just to say hello.

So... really... what's the big deal about a kiss on the cheek? Can't I just go to a guy that I know and kiss him hello without him thinking I'm flirting or something?

lol this is so funny to me... people must think I'm a slut.

Most Helpful Guy

• My understanding is that latin-influenced cultures tend to be more affectionate in general than anglo-centric cultures.

I've always believed it has a lot to do with the climate of where your ancestors came from. England is a cold place compared to much of France, Spain and Italy...and definitely a lot colder than Central and South America.

America today is a melting pot of different cultures but still leans anglo-centric. I think that it's more acceptable to show casual affection here than other parts of the world, but there are more limitations than in a latin culture. It also depends what state you live in to some extent.

So basically, a hug here is generally considered the equivalent of your "kiss on the cheek" in terms of showing casual affection. This isn't to say that you couldn't get away with casually kissing someone on the cheek here. It's just that it's not as universally recognizable, and so best not to do it until the person knows you better.

Also, you have to keep in mind that many people, are in general, less affectionate here and wouldn't necessarily even display that level of affection with their family or people they are close to. So some people will take any display of affection more seriously than you might be used to. But America is pretty varied too, so you'll meet all kinds of people here.

What Guys Said 1

• Lol, that would be funny. I'm part Hispanic and my aunts (8 of them), tend to kiss each other on the cheek sometimes to say hello at family events. Its just the culture here, best to keep the kisses to your girlfriends, guys will probably think your into them. Hope this helps.

What Girls Said 3

• A kiss has different meaning in different cultures. Here, its something you do to someone close to you. Its unusual to kiss someone on the cheek if youve just met them, but you can kiss your really close female friends on the cheek, and your family. Kissing a guy on the cheek is more complicated because they might get the wrong impression or, if you have a boyfriend, they might get jealous. Just be careful, but don't change for anyone :)

• No because it is two different cultures. In america the greeting is just hello or a hug. If you do approach an American guy every time you see him and kiss him on the cheek he'll think you're leading him on. Unless, of course, you explain to him that this is just a custom of yours and nothing more.

• we do the kiss-on the cheek thing in europe too. americans are strange ;)