Have You Ever Been Owned By or Learned From the Aging Process?

There are many things in life that I find to be absurdly ironic. Ageism is one of them. Oftentimes, when we are VERY young, we think that we will live forever JUST as we are: we get to keep the same body and the same level of social regard. We don't feel as if these things would ever change! As a teenager, we remark upon the "creepy old people" in their mid to late twenties. Beyond that age, everyone is our parent or our grandparent and their life is over to us... Why do they continue to live? What is the point? As we move into our twenties, we now believe that those in their thirties are doomed and just TOO old. Those beyond that age are ready for the nursing home. Conversely, there are young people who are coming up behind us and who are now making the same nasty remarks about OUR being old. Yesterday you were really young! Now, all of a sudden, YOU are this creepy older person that kids 10 years your junior are calling, Sir and Ma'am. LOL! And so it goes... And it has been this way since the beginning of mankind. Does the sheer nonsense of the human life cycle make you wanna just quit categorizing people and quit being an ageist? Or, will you never learn and always putdown and remain condescending towards folks who are older than you; even if you are 70 and they are 100? Personally, I would not date (sleep with) a man old enough to be my father, but, I would not call him an "old geezer" or put him down for being the age that he is either. Why? If I live long enough, I will BE his age. I would be some dumb animal not to understand the law of cause and effect that is in play. And, it makes no sense to create a world that will be hostile to me in the future which is when I will need fair, social treatment.

So, what is your opinion about this issue?

• I can call an older person names because I am young.
  • I don't know if I should be disrespecting older people.
  • I should not be disrespectful towards older people.

Most Helpful Guy

• "Youth is wasted on the young" --George Bernard Shaw

Do you know people your age who are still call older people "old geezer"? Hard to believe if you do! But then again maturity is not necessarily age dependent.

• I watch old movies. :)

What Guys Said 2

• I'm not disrespectful towards older people, but I'm not showing them any special respect either. I don't see where the whole respect for the elderly thing comes from, all that's required to be part of their club is not dying a premature death, which isn't particularly challenging accomplishment :p

• So would you talk back to your grand mother or not give up your seat to an older person on a bus?

• I will talk back to just about anyone when I think they're wrong. Giving up a seat to an older person is more an act of compassion than one of respect, I acknowledge that the poor suckers can't handle standing as well as I can, just like I might give up a seat to someone with a broken leg or something. I do hope in a few decades others will do the same for me.

• I will live forever, you old geezer.

What Girls Said 0