What's the point in dating someone if you don't love them?

I know I'm stupid and naive for asking this.

But I want to know.

GREAT answers so far, thank you:)

Most Helpful Guy

• Define "love"...

If you mean the act of compassion toward another that far exceeds platonicity, then there is what Kurosaki said... Mutual understanding... Growth of each other and whatnot.. Then I say why not! Personally, I don't throw the 4 letter around as much as others. Hell, I rarely even told my first ex fiancee "I love you"... However, my actions dictated my intentions. Can I say I loved her. Perhaps, but not in the "hoy-ty toy-ty" idiosencrancy of "Idealogical love"...

If you mean in the sense of Ideological love, stop reading those soapy novels, they are rotting your brain, with all due respect. No harm intended, but I don't believe that sh*t exists

As far as the reaction of phenylethylamine in the limbic system of the brain, It is harder to differentiate that chemical balance between "love" or "infatuation".

However, to ask "What's the point in dating someone if you don't love them?" is akin to asking, "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

My point being, there is always a reason for something... And IF there IS a reason for it, It is not always blatantly obvious. Ergo, I believe that they married for love in the first place.

What Guys Said 4

• Look at it as relationship experience for when the right guy does come along.

Spending time with quality people is a brilliant experience. You learn, you improve, you become a better person yourself.

And, as Kurosaki mentions, you never know, that right person might already be in your life as a current 'acquaintance' as love sometimes does need to grow on the tree of life.

• ... For sex.

• LOVE takes awhile to build up and realize.

And how long it takes to know you LOVE someone depends on the two people.

Are you thinking two people can't date unless they know they're in love or going to be in love?

Some people just enjoy each others' company and may not be in love but as long as their is mutual understanding, that is OK...

• for me, I won't let a beautiful girl goes away b4 I had sex with her, even if I don't love her, so sex.

What Girls Said 2

• People sometimes are afraid to move on or are trying to prove others that they we "make the relationship work." Sounds strange, but I've know people that stay in very unhappy relationships just to prove a point.

• They just like playing mind games or like to have sex.

Or that they care for a person a lot and like them alot, but they don't love them yet or aren't in love with them yet.