On the first date do you think that the guy should pay for everything?

Why or why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, I'd offer to go dutch, but I'd want the guy to insist on paying himself- shows us that you want to make a good impression. If you can't afford to pay everything, just explain it to her. If she longer wants to date you because of something like that, then you've just dodged major bullet. :)

What Girls Said 5

• YES! First impressions are everything. Call me old fashioned, but I don't know how this whole dutch thing came about. I think the guy should pay for at least the first few dates. After you become comfy with each other, that's different. Dutch is fine. Part of going out on a date for me is getting to know the person and getting made to feel special. It makes me feel like a lady when I have a man that can treat me like that. Although, I ALWAYS offer to pay my half to be considerate and so that he knows I am not after his money and can take care of myself if needed. If the guy doesn't pay, I might as well not be on a date because I'll feel like I'm with going to the movies with one of my friends. Its a bit of a turn off for me. Chivalry is NOT dead, in my book.

• I think so. I think it all goes back to manners. I've always been taught that the man should be a gentleman and pay. However, I also think the roles are different if the girl asks the guy out.

• I completely agree that men should be chivalrous, but what about equality? I just think its sexy knowing that my girl can be independent and does not need me to wait on her hand and foot.

• I'm definitely a girl who can take care of herself. I just think that if I ever do find the right guy, I want him to be the man. The leader. The Prince. Cliche? Probably... but that's it.

• Respect.

• If he asked the girl out, I think he should pay. Any other dates after that I think it should be splitting the bill, unless one person treats the other one on a special day. I am speaking from experience. :)

• Yep, I think the guy should pay for the first few dates. If you split the bill or just pay for your own it kinda seems like you could just be friends going out for a meal as opposed to a date. Having said that I usually try to buy one round of drinks on the first date and offer to split the bill on subsequent dates (I would usually expect the guy to decline my offer on the first couple of dates though...apart from me buying the drinks)

• I don't personally think you have to pay for EVERYTHING, but offering to pay at least your half is kind of expected. Like if you do dinner and a movie the girl could get snacks for the movie or the tickets or something

What Guys Said 3

• In my opinion, whoever did the asking out should pay for the date.

• if the guy wants to impress the girl then yes otherwise the chances are that he ain't gonna get the girl is he.

• Dutch. It's only fair.