First day of college tomorrow! Any tips fellow students or graduates?

I'm both excited and nervous. I have U.S. History, College Writing & Research then Child Psychology on MWF. And Algebra and Intro. to Art II on TR. Not exactly a heavy schedule but still.

So do you have any tips for my first day? Could be about anything.

My first day was pretty good. I'm working on finding my books on Chegg and reading through the syllabuses. O_O I have a lot of reading to start on.

Most Helpful Girl

• my semester starts tomorrow too!

-note anything the teacher repeats often

- don't cram for a test, study everything for a good certain amount of time

-dedicate 3-4 hrs a day to studying

- put forth 100% into everything you do

- for a speech, practice in front of someone till you are sure you are confident

-don't be afraid to ask a question

- sit in front of the class

-stay organized

-read notes before class

What Guys Said 23

• All this advice about never skipping! It depends on what type of learner you are. I learn nothing by hearing a professor go at his/her pace. It took me a little while to figure out I do better by skipping class and hitting the library. The syllabus is usually planned out for the whole semester so all I had to do was make sure I was caught up. Occasionally I'd miss a quiz, but they were never worth enough to offset what I was gaining by my method. Plus the freedom was nice.

Oh, and when you start getting into your core classes don't be afraid to ask your professors if they need any help in their research if you want to get involved. It's infuriating how many people want to get some experience in the field before they graduate but never ask any professors. I didn't have good grades and didn't know any professors before, but I asked and always managed to have a (paying) job in a lab for every summer and winter break. You get to see what the field is like, what grad school is like, and it looks amazing on resumes. You might even learn.

NON-ACADEMIC ADVICE: Look at all the clubs/activities and be willing to try new things. This is the time to get into new hobbies and you have so many resources at your disposal on campus.

• Be yourself, never lose sight of who you are for anyone's sake.

Make as many friends as you can, you never know who or when you'll need someone, and a wide group of friends means never being bored :p

Some people won't be as intelligent as you, maybe they'll be smarter, maybe they won't, but they're still people, and sometimes even the worst person can say something brilliant.

Chances are you'll be fine lol But those are the thinga I'd recommend :p

• Okay, this brings back fond memories, I have 2 degrees. Buy your books as soon as you know your schedule, preferably a long time ahead. Or, check out last years editions in the library, they are likely all there. READ those textbooks cover to cover before you set foot in the classroom. Don't worry about what you don't "get", you are becoming thoroughly familiar with the subject matter, and terminology. DOnt worry when the teacher skips chapters.

if you can't read well, you have no business IN college.

make it your business to attend each an every class, "bar none". If you can't be bothered to BE there, you have no business BEING in college.

each class gets 2 separate huge notebook. One to take notes in, the second to copy them over LEGIBLY for studying. At thye end of each day, you read over ALL the notes from that class. In such a manner, you are covering ALL the material daily. When test time comes, all you have to do is read the relevant chapters a couple times, as youve ben reviewing all the notes daily as you copy them over into the "readable" notebook.

Always schedule the fattest schedule you CAN, then drop a class or two at the last day available that you are not doing well... there will be a few classes and teachers you don't "get", don't sweat it, just keep taking them again and again until you get through them.

you are there to learn. and to get a degree... not to date and party and find a husband. You can DO those things, but do not let them get in the way of your degree. if you want ANYthing more than that degree, you have no business being there. Any frienjds or acquaintances that advise you to blow a class off, you find new friends.

in summarization: read the textbooks way ahead of time, 2 notebooke for every class, every night you copy al lnotes over legibly into 2ns notebooks. Read ALL notes inclusive every day, for studying you augment this with reading the relevant chapters.

And you have to BE there, and you have to WANT it.

• Find your books online. Either buy them from Amazon or Craigslist or something for cheap or find a torrent PDF version so you get it for free anyways :P It'll save you thousands of dollars over the next ~4 years.

Try and get out there and have fun trying new hings. Check out clubs you might really enjoy and have even a minor interest in. Get to know people and become friends with them (I kinda suck at this one, but I try >.>).

Also, be very careful too. Try and stay around people you trust, don't go to any parties you are unsure of and if you do don't drink much (if at all) cause it's very likely there are guys who will try and take advantage of that (especially for someone who's "hot" in the modern senseof the word hah). I mean, my brother told me about this girl who was passed out and these three guys were talking about taking turns doing her. Luckily he was there (and he's army trained) and pretty much kicked their asses before they could do anything (makes me very proud of him :P I'd have done the same).Such scum don't deserve any less than a beating.

But ya, don't worry too much, but be conscious of it. Have fun, focus on your studies primarily (i.e. you are spending your money to be there, student loans suck and are the worst kinda debt cause, thanks to George W. Bush, no longer can we lose that debt from bankruptcy and it is even debt that isn't wiped away by death if your parents cosigned which I'm betting they have). College is about finding what you really are interested in so give all sorts of courses a try. If you really don't like a major you're in, talk to your adviser about switching to what you would like.

Oh ya, that's also great to know. Talk to your adviser a lot. They are paid to help you and they are in that job because they love to help students. Also talk to your professors a lot. Ask them questions, get them to help you learn anything you're having trouble with, etc. You'll be a huge success if so.

• Oh ya, I guess the "Best comment" has some good advise. But I personally never study AT ALL. I just pay attention in class and then generally talk about it with the teacher a bit after maybe or with friends and I always remember everything needed for a test.

I do agree with sit in front of the class :P helps you see what's being written and whatnot better and helps the teacher get to learn who are faster.

And ya, practice speaking (another I suck at... I practice singing though to myself >.>)

• Oh, studies also show before a test (if you do study) that it's actually detrimental for your memory and test scores to study right before a test. It's better to study a bit the few days before and then like 8-12 hours before a test you stop studying and spend that time relaxing and letting your brain process all you studied. Again, I never have cause I guess I'm weird (with a good memory for the most part), but ya, up to you :P

• Oh, one final thing, this is the most important. Grades DON'T matter. They do make you feel good to maintain an A(I know it makes me feel good) so do it. And it does help a little bit when finding a job, but it matters FAR more to jobs that you can accurately show you know what you're doing. So whenever you go for a job make sure that's the focus. Show them the projects you were in on and what you did, show them personal projects not for any classes you did. Don't fret bad grades.

• A lot of people get overwrought when the first day approaches and begin having anxious thoughts about the possibility of flunking out in their first semester, and the shame and humilation that will fill their lives from that point forward. Imagine what a family reunion would be like if everyone knew you'd been forced to leave college because you lacked even the basic intelligence required to get a degree! Then there's always the possiblity you'll do well scholastically, but meet with absolute, horrific, rejection from your fellow students on a social level. Basically four years of constant ridicule, lonliness, and emotional distressL. Anyway, congrats, and GOOD LUCK!

• The biggest advantage college has to offer is the insane amount of networking you can do for use in your future career! Obviously pay attention to your class work and keep an open mind about what you're learning but don't forget to establish the roots of your future professional relationships! Also, there are millions of people who have gone through the college experience, so if you ever feel overwhelmed don't be afraid to ask for help!

• good luck...enjoy yourself because it goes by quick. I miss it...iv been out for 2 years now

are you going to be living on campus? are you at a community college 1st? then transferring?

Also, don't be one of those girls that goes out of control drinking all the time.

• I'm living in a residence off campus. I'm going to a 4-year university.

• my advice would be simple. Go to class and pay attention haha. And don't be shy and not talk in class, it helps your learning to be inquisitive as well as you socially to talk to other classmates. Lastly, a thing to be weary about with talking to classmates is to make sure to not let yourself be taken advantage of, so many kids look to latch onto friendly and focused classmates to leech off of to pass the class. Some kid tried to do that to me and I stopped it immediately, don't be a doormat and have fun!

• Best advice I can possibly give you:

DON'T BE SHY IN CLASS. Talk to people, make friends early on in the semester. It's so much easier and less awkward then trying to later on. Kinda makes sense if you think about it.

• Well obviously know where you're going, and all the exact building names. I went to a big campus and some of the buildings had similar names, I ended up going to Educational Sciences instead of the Education Building.

Have a funny story about something that happened over break, or in your life in case your classes have ice breakers. I can't tell you the number of awkward silences or lame things people come up with.

Also pack plenty of pencils and pens!

• where are you going to college?

PARTY!

• It's not known as a party school lol. It's actually pretty small. But I have friends and my sister who go to Pitt and Duq to party at.

• good good, always gotta have the hookups right? lol advice though don't take the bus or subway or whatever to get to those partys... there creepy especially at night. ima guy and I thought I was gona get raped

• I just started college 2 weeks ago (only a community college) I'm 26 years old - yeah I know I'm getting a late start but hey for the last 8 years I've been making a ton of money and gaining life experiences (none of that sh*t you can get from school). All I can say is FOCUS

• ratemyprofessors.com was pretty good about what to expect from certain teachers. Get there a bit early to walk the halls. Sometimes classrooms aren't in the logical places (like in order when one is added in later in another location).

If you need to use a laptop, get to your class early so you can get a desk by the outlet. This helps when those seats are assigned or it's just common courtesy not to take your spot.

• I forgot to mention, some professors will allow you to get a previous edition book for classes especially for gen ed. I did that and saved hundreds of dollars though the core classes will need more up to date info.

I also took classes on the same day so I was only on campus two days out of the week. Removing the need for a parking pass on school grounds. This also saved money each semester.

• Go to class every day! Trust me, I did not go to class every day, and I struggled my first year. Also, sit more towards the front. Take notes by HAND, if you bring your computer, you will most likely surf the internet instead of pay attention. Also...remember that in college, nobody cares how "cool" you were in high school. Other than that, good luck, be wary of house parties (they tend to get busted fast), and try to stay on a regular exercise schedule.

• link

why the delay between high school and college?

• Gap year. And a half.

• Yes I did. It made me lol. It reminds me of one they do with the perfect man- link

• aha that's a good one.

• Be you and remember that you are there to learn rather than be taught by someone. Ask yourself, is this what I really want to do? Are my dreams being fulfilled? Just that for now.

• Always go. Only skip if you have good reason or just really need a day off or friends are visiting or something. Also don't give up. If you get a D or close to an F in a class who cares. At least you passed. No one is perfect.

• never skip readings and lectures

• and don't join a sorority.. avoid partying to much. Universities a fine balance of partying and studying. master it

• the library is a great place to meet people. I met a lot of girls there by starting up convo's ect!

• Get a tape recorder & start taping your lectures. MAJOR HELPFUL!

• Advice really depends on the school; where are you going?

• How much is renting books cost and how do you return it ship? Is there any online place to buy used books for cheap. I'm paying $400-$500 a semester for books!

• Chegg does free shipping and you just search for your book online. It's usually way cheaper to rent.

• Chegg made me pay for my shipping... it was lame, I've been going through them for years and just now I had to pay for shipping...

• It wasn't free shipping. I was wrong lol. I paid like $30 extra for 1-3 business day shipping.

• ohh yea, I also learned this the hard way. If you don't think there is any chance that you are going to pass one of your classes, be sure to Withdraw and take a W instead of getting an F,D or C- . You need at least a C

What Girls Said 11

• Ohh how exciting! Take advantage of the first couple weeks of school where everyone is always more friendly and open to meeting new people. Always try and make friends with at least one person in your class and get their email/phone number on the first day so you can contact them for study buddy time or if you have questions about class. Work hard, don't get to stressed out! Personally, partying helps me release my stress, but keep partying where it belongs! On the weekends! I find that anyone who parties during the school week ends up having a hard time keeping up with classes. Learn how to eat well to, have healthy snacks around so you are not tempted to go straight to pizza when you are studying and it is 2am. Stay away from the freshman 15!

• I would suggest that you just be your self, don't be nervous and wait at least until the second day of the class to decide if your going to drop it or not. Just be open minded!...

• Make sure you understand how the grading works..sylabis . If it's more applied participation bring it.. if it's more based on reports work at it...note that sometimes attendance is apart of your grade and be on time. If you arn't doing well in a class NEVER be afraid to ask for help from the professor. Be social and see/join clubs associated with your major. The End.

• Good luck! You should be able to do well in your classes if you just go ever day, and actually listen while there. For the first day, just be open to everything, and make sure you know where your classes are so you're not stressing about finding the rooms. And find a good place to hang out in between classes. Oh yeah, and give yourself enough time to eat during the day! :)

• Join study groups, don't skip class too much, eat breakfast, live on campus (its easier), Join study groups, realize that you will have to study and teach yourself because that's only way you are going to make good grades let alone pass any classes.

• i agree with tstdude21 I met so many cool people in class! meet everyone you can! become friends with everyone in your dorm if you can, I am about to graduate and am so sad because it really is the best time of your life.

• make friends. find someone you think you can get along with and form a study group.

• Sit in the front of the class, especially if it's a small class. This will show your dedication and give you some brownie points even if you don't speak often in class. Get to class a little early (I get there no later than 15 minutes before class starts, because that's when the professors start showing up). Talk to some classmates, if you like. Most people find their best college friends in class, although my best friends all came from my floor. Always go to class. Professors do notice and they do hold it against you. They're more likely to be helpful toward a student they think is dedicated than one who doesn't care about the class. If you have to miss for some reason, E-mail the professor.

Make sure you find all of your classrooms beforehand. You don't want to be late on your first day.

Don't be nervous about the classes; it's the same basic thing as high school, except more work.

• why are you starting in january?

anyway good luck and don't ever miss labs they are boring as hell

but they really help

• Because I wasn't enrolled for the fall semester.

• Aww, I hope you have a great first day! I think I would recommend looking to see if your professors have websites with information on your classes (like the syllabus). Most of mine do. Other than that, I think you'll be fine. It's a change, but you'll adjust quickly. Make sure you have writing utensils and paper and take lots of notes. The first day/week is not stressful, though, because many students are still changing their schedules. As a result, the nicer professors don't try to cover much. I would enjoy the rest of your night, because you have nothing to worry about. It is very exciting, though! Good luck! :)

• 1 in 4 girls are raped in college...just to help with the stress...

• What...?

• Hope that your first semester is going well so far! As far ad advice, everyone has pretty much hit it all and I agree with everyone above. Definitley recommend going to each lecture and only missing when you have to. I would never recommend trying to study late at night as it never works for me and I just have to go to bed lol. Best of luck to you and hope that you are enjoying college so far!

• Thank you Violagirl. :) This semester is going well, but it's definitely tough. I can't study late either, I just can't concentrate lol.