Opinions on dating older people?

OK so I'm 18 and dating a 26 year old and lately we've been getting a lot of snide remarks while out. my question to you is why is this, why do people have a problem with our age difference. and what is your opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally like older guys

What Guys Said 4

• Because haters hate, and people are *ssholes.

• Who cares what people think, I think a lot of 18 year old and even younger girls are more mature than some 26 year old girls I have seen. In my opinion it depends more on how mature both of you are and not just age. I don't even see a logical argument coming from the other side of the fence on this one due to the fact that in every situation like that it will depend on the people involved.

• ignore them ,they are just stupid

• Some call it the green-eyed monster, others call it jealousy. Don't worry about what others think.

What Girls Said 5

• I think if you were 30 and he was 38 that'd be one thing. The number of years is still the same but you're still at similar stages in life where you'll have similar challenges. But 18 and 26 is different. You either just graduated high school (or I guess you're just about to graduate) and he's been out of college and working. It's a little weird. Do what you wanna do but my first thought would be what's wrong with him? It's just weird to me. One of my friends is 21 and awhile ago she went on a few dates with some guy who was 30. She said that they had similar interests (apparently they're both into photography and architecture) and then after a month or two she stopped seeing him just because she realized that besides a few things that had nothing to talk about. They'd talk about pictures, talk about buildings, and make out. He was going to work and she was up all night doing homework and working on projects. Just imagine bringing a 26 year old to prom, wouldn't that be weird? To me a 26 year old dating someone that's 18 would make me think he can't deal with girls his own age and goes out with younger girls who are more likely to agree with him and be impressed by him

• I feel like the stigma with age difference stems mostly from the idea that people want different things when they get to different ages. It can seem like one person has one motive while the other is interested in something entirely different.

As long as you're both consenting adults, it really doesn't matter. You are the best one to decide whether or not your reasons for being in a relationship are the right ones. =) (What a "right" reason is is ALSO up to you. ^_^)

In a more historical/academic sense maybe the stigma mostly arose from arranged-marriage situations? If a younger person was betrothed to someone much older, there might be resentment and/or reluctance (on the part of EITHER party!) So the 'taboo' arose and made it more socially acceptable to pair up within a certain age range? (I'm just thinking out loud here, I have no idea if that's true or not. It just makes sense to me. ^_^;)

• That doesn't seem like a weird age difference to me at all! Try not to let people's remarks bug you. Seems completely normal.

• For me I've been braught up this way so so my state of mind has ways been the same, but the max for me is 4 years older and the least is my age... I never date younger guys or some older than 4 years... But that's just me.. It's not gross or anything I just don't like the idea that he's that much older then me because we won't have much in common besides liking each other...

• You are over 18 aren't you? I don't see nothing wrong but maybe it's just me