Girls, is it totally lame to ask you out via text message?

There's a girl I was going to ask out last night, but I never got a chance to. I don't know if I'm going to be seeing her again anytime soon, so texting her may be my only option.

Girls, if a guy asked you out in a text message, would you think that's completely lame? (Especially at my age).

Well, to all of those who still care, I went ahead and did it and it's been four hours with no response, sooo...f***...

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry,i think it's lame. Texting is quite impersonal. If you only had her email address then I could understand...but you have her PHONE NUMBER. I would suggest being bold and ringing her up asking to hang out. It's NOT a good way to start things out. If a guy asked me out via text,i wouldn't think they were that serious about me. That's just my opinion. Follow your gut.Good Luck! Give updates!:)

• Would that be ok? I only met her on Friday, so I feel like calling her already might be weird. Girls tend to write us off as needy at the drop of a hat, so I'm kinda nervous to do anything, even though I've been getting some pretty good signals from her. (There's some back story on this here should you be so inclined to read it, though keep in mind I've been to one more party with her and more happened: link

• Sorry but I still feel the same. You are generalizing girls (in which I have no idea why,maybe it's this website...ha).I find that people tend to text as way of getting out of things.Getting out of being bold and saying what needs to be said in person or the telephone. Anywho,you do what you think you should do.I just think it's tacky to ask someone out via texting.Because you could easily just call. Maybe you could make small talk through texting and then work your way to a phone call.

What Girls Said 6

• If I were the lucky girl, then asking me out through text wouldn't be bad. Especially if you're shy, then it would be less socially awkward for yourself. A lot of people these days prefer to text over talk on the phone; it would be better to ask her out in person. But, since you don't know when you might see her again, I actually think asking her out through a text would be a great thing to do. Or if you're bold enough, call her.

• I wouldn't mind that at all, if my crush sent me a text asking me out I wouldn't care if it was through a text or not, I would just be happy he asked me out, so just ask her out :)

• i see you from europe. dear, American girls are so much more complicated. this is also one reason why I love european girls. :)

• Is it really a difference between european girls and American girls? That's too bad for guys living in America.. Europe is great, at least Norway, but it's quite hard and complicated, especially for girls like me who are "outsiders", "not good enough", "not pretty and popular enough" and "not a guy's type".. I, at least, have still not had a boyfriend at all. American girls is lucky though.

• if you don't see her very often then there is nothing wrong with that

• To be honest, yes. Texting is the most unpersonal thing you can do, you can't even hear a person's voice like you would if you were on the phone. Ask her out in person...

• Not lame. But I would probably not go out with him until he asked me in person. You should message her and ask her to hang out, then ask her out. If she can't hang out and its like a last resort thing then sure, do it via text.

• Problem is I don't really know her that well. I've only met her twice, so any suggestion to meet up is going to be interpreted as me asking her out anyway. I REALLY didn't want to to this via text, but if I don't I'll lose the momentum we have going.

• So asking her out on a first date through text would be fine?

• Yep, should be ok.

• If I liked you, I wouldn't care how you asked me -- only that you did. So I say it isn't lame. Texting is a perfectly normal way of communication in today's society. And, asking someone out is nerve-wracking no matter how you do it so good luck. :)

What Guys Said 3

• Wait a couple days and then call her and see if she wants to meet up somewhere. Just ask her out over the phone. Forget texting. I did that once, terrible terrible terrible idea. Never do it.

• Display some moxie

Converse with her in person

Increase success odds

• I'd rather do that, but like I said, there's no guarantee I'm going to see her again anytime soon.

• Without seeing her

Small chance to go on a date

Might as well just wait

• LMAO at your haikus. I've been seeing them all over.

• That's something I'd never do, but I'm not sure if I'd call it totally lame.