Would you date someone who is missing a limb (arm or leg)

I spoke to someone recently who said that one non-negotiable factor when dating is that the other person must have all their limbs intact.

Although that statement may appear shallow, the person who said it is not.

It will be Interesting to see how many people share the same view.

Are you missing any limbs yourself? Do you feel that you're at a disadvantage when dating?

Please share any experiences you have had good or bad!

• Yes I would, neither would bother me.
  • Only if they were missing a leg.
  • Only if they were missing an arm.
  • No I wouldn't be able to.
  • Checking answers as I am too scared to vote!

Most Helpful Girl

• I would have no problem dating a guy who was missing a limb and it would not bother me at all. I am slightly biased though as I am a rehab therapist who works specifically with amputees. I'm glad this question is out there, because amputees (especially men) seem to have a lot of difficulty getting past the altered self-image and generally dating is a concern. I choose to work with amputees, one because of their strength to face obstacles, and two, because with today's technology, prosthetic limbs are amazing and can even exceed the performance of a natural limb. Some of the patients I work with are so good with the prosthetic limb that I would not know the difference. I also think a prosthetic arm is amazing and I am fascinated by how it works and the skill level it takes to be able to work it.

What Girls Said 16

• More important to me would be how he deals with it psychologically. Sometimes, when dealing with lost appendages, people feel as if they are somehow lesser than they were before. It can cause serious issues within themselves and with their relationships with other people.

So, no; I have no issue dating someone missing a limb as long as they still had the fundamental inner strength I require of anyone I date. Everyone has insecurities, but they don't have to run your life.

• Interesting question...I never stopped to think about it until now. It wouldn't matter to me at all. It wouldn't change who he is a person. I mean I saw a man on TV recently who is a military vet and is visually impaired. He loves to run marathons. He still runs marathons by getting a buddy, tying his wrist to his buddy's and running the marathon that way. People like him simply amaze me!

• link

no, it wouldn't bother me at all. I'm in the same boat as Cerigo though that a "pity me" attitude would be very off putting.

Everyone needs to watch that link I posted as well.

• I wouldn't mind so much a missing limb. But I couldn't handle dating someone who was handicapped to the point that he needed lots of help in his day to day stuff. If that makes me shallow, so be it.

• Hmm I'm not sure. Something that would influence mu decision a lot would be how comfortable the person is about their missing limb. I wouldn't date someone who has the ‘victim’ or ‘pity me’ attitude.

• my best friend in high school, whom I also had a crush on from 6th tgrough 11th grade, was born without a leg, and had a prosthetic leg. He was the sweetest, guy. His prosthetic leg didn't keep I'm from playing sports, being in band, orchestra, and choir. He was the most sought after guy. We never dated, because we didn't share many of the same views on important things.. But his disability wouldn't ave stopped me, because it didn't stop him.

it would have been different if he whinned and omplained about it all the time, but he looked at it with good humor. :)

• Yeah I would, but I would highly prefer the arm be the missing limb.

Either way though it's cool.

• At first I would get a little put off by it but I would very quicly get over it depending upon the person, they would need to be confident with themselves and not dependant/ self-pitying.

• for me its all abt personailty I mean dating someone with an awsome personailty will make up for a missing limb

• if I really loved them I would it'd b hard but id do it for love

• Missing limb? it wouldn't bother me , if I'm attracted to a person its because of their eyes and smile and personailty. if he can't make me laugh then no !:)

• I would date them. I mean, it would be shallow not to and plus it just shows that they have something they have to over come every day and they are just more stronger & have more courage than the other person. I currently have all my limbs, and in the long run I so hope I always will. The only thing that would bother me with someone with a missing limb is there nub... but if they don't mind it, I would draw on it and put a smile face and kiss it every morning :)

• I wouldn't mid if the guy I was dating was missing a limb at all. As long as he's not like terminally sick or anything like that and the limb being missing was a result of him being unhealthy or sick... otherwise I really woundn't mind.

• I don't think I would start dating a guy if he was missing a limb. I would be worried that there are going to be health problems that I'm not prepared to deal with. As someone already said, I wouldn't break up with someone if something happened to one of their limbs after we were in a completely committed relationship.

• This might sound harsh but whatever, it's how I feel. I would only date a guy with a missing appendage if it happened after we started dating. Then, I would stay by his side to support him and help him through this period of adjustment.

• I have all my limbs, but I have a rather strange attraction to men with fake legs

What Guys Said 7

• Eh, I was watching the news and there was this attractive Canadian paralympic athlete with part of her leg missing. And I'd say I found her more attractive than I find 99% of 'normal' women. She had a fit toned body, gorgeous face, and a radiant personality. A lot of women could take a leaf out her book, given her optimistic outlook on life despite the tragedy that had befallen her. So no it doesn't bother me. She was sexy.

• to be honest, I wouldn't date someone with a missing or severly damaged appendage.

• The important issues to consider is whether there's any chemistry between yourself and the other person. Does that said person have a good character? Good attitude? Kind and gentle and an overall good person?

Missing a limb or whatever the condition may be should not be your paramount condition for dating that person. However, it is only human to consider that person's impact on your lifestyle should there be a long term commitment, and are you able to adjust? If not, then, being just friends is still a good alternative to making an enemy or pissing someone off. If your honest to yourself and that person, you'll eventually find your answer.

• I'm missing my watch, does that count?

• I hate to be superficial, but I would not date someone with such a disability.

• I like ladys with there left arm missing above the ebove the elbow

• I feel like a prick, but I kinda agree. I'm pretty superficial.