Do you take online compliments seriously?

if someone gives you a compliment online , do you take it?

Most Helpful Girl

• pretty much like every other girl said on here...there's tons of creepers lol. someone sent me a message on facebook saying how he "loved" my picture and wanted to be friends but I just ignored it.

people I talk to online, that wanted to see me and when they did, they complimented me and still do after more than a year of talking so I guess that has some truth to it..what do you think though? :/

i don't get compliments IRL, I do get people staring at me and a couple times some pervs made it clear that they like how I look (hollering at me or some pervy smile) buuut that's it.

and friends, if I have a new picture up on facebook or something will say I'm pretty and cute and blah blah.. but that's when I 100% don't take it. most times I'm just thinking, "yeah, right. just trying to be nice." idk.

it depends.

What Girls Said 13

• No, if it's someone I don't know or barely ever talk to.

It's incredibly easy to say anything you want when you're online, and compliments are no exception.

• Sometimes, if I can tell they're being sincere. It's more believable if there have been multiple people on different occasions who've said the same thing.

• Well,on Yahoo Answers I had a picture up and people used to compliment me all the time and guys would message me.

I personally didn't really take it.Alot of guys are creeps and try to "groom" the girl by getting her trust and once you gain trust,you've opened the door for manipulation and everything else.

I personally only give compliments that I truly believe whether on here or in real life.If I think someone is attractive,I'll compliment them.But I also happen to think many of the people on here give pity to those who are oh so down on themselves,whether it's overall obvious by their answers or if it's a "rate my looks" question,quite a few people go out of their way to lie to make the person feel good about themselves,but I lack sympathy for those people so eh.

• Online, by a stranger, no. As a girl, creepers like to sweet talk you. Plus I look like 14 and yeah.. lol they like to compliment my hair or my skin. Soo I just am like thanks. Online, anything can be said and repercussions don't happen. The internet is almost an anything goes world. Now if I know them, sure why not. Although I'm sure somewhere deep inside us all, we do take them in someway. Boosts us somehow. Ya know?

• Depends, if it's a creeper then no. If it's someone being sincere, and doesn't want anything from me yes.

• i bet you dont.

• Depends,.

• no lol

• To me a compliment is a compliment. People

can give them to you in person as well and not really

mean what they say or they can have alterior motives.

• yeah

• a compliment is a compliment :)

i'll take it when I can get it

• Yes I appreciate compliments, but it's not going to necessarily boost my self-esteem permanently or anything though. I don't believe in being negative and assuming the worst of people, that someone is lying. Yes, people can have ulterior motives but that doesn't mean people can't in some instances be sincerely genuine.

• It really depends. I think you're asking this question trying to find out if the many people who told you that you were attractive,are telling the truth or not. I would say some are telling the truth,and others are trying to help with your low confidence.

• nah I think all of them are trying to up my confidence, I don't take that tho

What Guys Said 9

• No, I don't take them seriously. Simply because, well, they're online. It is different if I was talking to people in real life when I believe a compliment is more genuine. Now if I met someone in real life, and then talk to them online at a later date, I can genuinely take compliments because I know who they are.

• Hmmm I guess it depends on how. Like if I were talking to someone and they gave a genuine and sincere compliment, then I thank them for what they said. But if they come out of nowhere with a compliment then I don't think much of it. There was this girl once on here that would just constantly make references to my looks or say that she can't believe she's talking to someone who looks like me...that stuff is annoying. I understand after being on here how girls feel about people constantly throwing compliments at them, especially ones that aren't very sincere. It's sort of uncomfortable and can be annoying.

• No. People lie online. It's second nature. Like breathing, or using CAPS.

• No, because often it doesn't match IRL experience lol

• About personality, yes. About looks, no.

• Why do you think so many girls ask questions about rating their photos?

• Compliments? Hmm, I guess sometimes. Depends how they're given and when.

I never give compliments without sincerity though :|

• I like any compliments

• if it seems genuine