Should I date him?

There is this guy at my school and we both like each other. I told my mom that we wanted to go out. She said that being just friends would be better. But he wants to be my boyfriend. I thought maybe if we could do that just at school then it would be ok. He'd be like a friend then but really my boyfriend. Please give me opinions, I don't know what to do!

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know if its really silly for your mom to be this protective of you. No one on this board knows this guy or your mom and how she is. If you are age 14 to 17 (so she might be only 14) I say be friends. Ask your mom if it's ok to have chaperoned dates. Alot of young kids get their hearts broken, or get pregnant early and seriously detour their life because they had sex too early (not to mention disease).

So go slow and listen to mom. Ask her permission, if she says yes cool. If not, just know she has your safety and best interests at heart and love her for that.

What Guys Said 1

• Your mom is being overprotective. She doesn't want you to get hurt. Maybe she is afraid you'll start having sex too.

Which is really silly. Tell her you're a big girl and you can handle dating. You might have to ease her into the idea of dating. Maybe suggest some chaperoned trips at first or something so she doesn't flip out. Sounds dumb I know, but life will be easier if your mom's fears are put to rest.

What Girls Said 1

• My mom is like that too. Your mom is overprotective. Tell her that you are really for a boyfriend (if this is your first). Talk to her and try to persuade her somehow. I do not suggest being his girlfiend in secret, though. The word could get out and you will get in trouble. If your mom does not agree, than just be friends with him. And who knows, maybe your mom is right.