What do you think of online dating?

Have you tried meeting someone online?

did it work? yes? no?

what was the experience like?

did you actually meet face-to-face? if so how did that go?

just curious of others opinions of it.

ive been getting a mix bag of answer to this my self

• It works out great!
  • It might work out.
  • Could go either way.
  • It might not work out.
  • It dose not work at all!
Wow I got front paged, cool!

What if you have seen the person like on skype or similar chat?

It sounds like a lot of people were just deluded by false images or old pictures.

would that make it any better since you know what you are getting into?
Im getting an interesting curve from the answers.

Most Helpful Guy

• From the people that I've known who have used it, it tends to attract ladies with some kind of deep rooted issue. Besides the ones who are looking for flings and the ones who have kids, a lot of the girls on there have some kind of insecurity that springs up later on. I'm not saying this out of ignorance or a few bad experiences, but I've honestly seen plenty of girls that people have met online and they were just raging bags of emotional drama. Their issue is what seems to have prevented them from meeting people in person in the first place.

I know it sounds like I'm being harsh here, I'm sure there are plenty of nice women that do online dating. But you also have to understand that the "good ones" are being chased by every guy on there just like in real life. The only difference is that it's easier to ignore someone online and harder to get a good and full first impression of someone based off of a paragraph of text and a picture.

You are better off avoiding the online world if you have the opportunity to go out and meet people that way. I don't see why you should throw away the in-person option if you don't need to. Just my 2 cents though.

• i remember reading that girl are attracted to notes and word hence why they like passing notes in school. ha ha I don't know how true that is tho.

but I see what you mean with the "baggage" thing. with online you are as anonymous as you want to be. so you don't have to say you have a kid or you've been though this and that unless they ask, and you can be anyone you want to be too. a bit creepy.

it is easier to ignore someone through the net also 'cuz you can easily just delete or block people.

• Sounds like your typical woman.

• great best answer. I fully agree.

What Girls Said 25

• My experience with online dating was not good. The guy lied to me he had a picture that was 15 years old on his profile. I went to meet him after 7 months of talking and emailing and he was this old man 75 lbs heavier and 15 years older then his photo. I was disappointed, I had to travel a fair distance to see him, and it was just awkward after the initial meeting. So I guess it might work out but you would have to be honest with the person you were going to meet, but mine didn't work out at all.

• that sounds pretty gross... that must have really sucked...

but, what if you had used a video messenger like skype or something similar?

• It's more of a heartbreak than actual dating. It may seem like you've met the person of your dreams but suddenly, they either disappear or there's something catastrophically wrong with them. Or find out they're outright lied to you without you knowing it. Personal experience.

• i see... so are your saying only distraught and desperate people resort to online dating?

• No, I'm saying it's not for everyone.

• From personally experience, it can work out, but it depends on the site you're on, and also how you make your profile, how serious you are, and how well you can weed out the undesirables.

And not all women using online dating have deep rooted issues. Many are using it because they lead busy lives at work, and find it difficult to meet men outside the office. In my case, it was because I moved to a new country and wanted to meet some new people who didn't go to my school. In the end, I ended up making a couple friends and getting into a relationship a great guy.

Never really had a problem with false images or anything like false advertising, but people are never exactly who you'll imagine them to be from their profile, so it's important to meet them in person right away, instead of talking online for weeks and building up this golden idol of them in your head that they can never match up to.

• Met my current boyfriend online. We talked for 3 months before meeting. He was everything he said he was, as was I lol. He is perfect for me in every way. At the end of our first date he asked me to be his girlfriend. That was 2 months ago and we are still going strong :) so for me the experience has been amazing.

• thats really awesome for you.

how long from the first meeting to the face-to-face meeting was it?

long time? short time?

• dont worry, you answered my question.

• Online dating is causing infidelity and cheating to sky rocket! Because of how easy it is be discreet and hide things. It is becoming more acceptable in society. And I know for a fact many older guys prey on younger girls and the girls are just happy to get attention because guys their age aren't as agressive. Its sick and online dating is lame. Thus when used the right way ofcourse there is nothing wrong with online dating but we as a society always seem to take it too far. My 2 cents.

• My cousin met her boyf online and its worked out really well they have been together for years and they see each other as much as they can, but I tried and it really didn't work because I feel uncomfortable with it but there you go each to their own :)

• Thats cool for your cousin =)

• okay well I have dated a guy online once name sheldon he was black and we both really liked each other but never met but it didn't work out with me and him we always had arguments over stupid stuff and always disagrements so I just ended it with him and now we are just friends and that's how it will stay.

• yeah its probably better that way. if you fight on line imagine that fight that would have happened in person! haha

• It's good for the right people. My cousin never goes out, but is always on his computer. Online dating really helped him meet people & was perfect for someone with his personality. It is also nice because it's hard to find people to meet these days. The problem is that you never know who you are really meeting. You don't know if their pictures are real, if the age is truthful, & so on. You also don't know if you are meeting a complete psycho path & so on. At least in person you know some of these things... I'd personally rather meet someone in person, it feels weird dating someone on line...

• yeah that make sense for your cousin. also you never truly know what the person is like until you meet them. so you really are putting a lot of trust into the other person... and if you find out they are not what they say, then it can be quit detrimental =/

• I personally feel like it would only work if both people made it work. It takes effort, patience, and trust.

• yeah that makes sence so longs both side want to make it work is should, in theory that is.

• I think it could go either way, I met a guy on here and we have been talking for 8 months he is coming to see me this summer and I really like him, I think he likes me too so we will see how it goes lol

• cool cool

i hope it goes well, did you talk via a video messenger?

or was it all just e-mails and IMs?

• We talk on the phone, text, and skype.

• Like everything... It really just depends on the couple and how much effort your willing to put into the relationship. It may be harder then normal but give it a go anyway I say!

• most likely won't last.

• I just recently met someone online, in a cam/chatroom, and spoke with him on skype. We were really only able to get along while typing; whenever one of us decided to speak, it was very awkward. I hated it! Haha. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: So what sort of music are you in to?

Him: You're really pretty.

Me: ...So what sort of music are you in to?

Him: Everything, I love music. Here, listen to this (plays music for 10 minutes straight). Ok, I'll talk now.

Me: >.>

I think online dating can work for some, but real-life dating is so much better.

• i haven't tried I'm too young...but I don't see anything wrong with it. some people say you might be crazy people but you can meet them anywhere...match and eharmony seem good. zoosk and chatrooms look corny and for people only interested in sex or raping u

• online dating., seriously? unless you KNOW that you will be moving there or they will be moving where you are, it's pointless.

• what if you change the setting to in your city and you find out its only a 20 min drive to see the person?

• thats not online dating. that's almost local dating. I'm from NYC, I live in BK but I dated a dude that live in BX at one point which is a good 50 min commute by car.

• it's stupid.

• i know people that have got married and they met over the net.

• oh wow really. that's really different

• I'm trying it because I know most of the people in my small town, so I want to meet people from the larger area without having to randomly walk around and/or sit in bars alone. Most of my friends moved away or are with their "hometown honey" and never want to go anywhere but the same place we've been every weekend.

• Lame

• it can work. it's no different than meeting someone in a bookstore or off thes treet. just another way to bring people together

• for some it is easier to meet through online, because online brings people together (like a big speed dating but less intimidating because it is online).

I met a few people through online. My current guy I met on facebook, we went to elementary, jr high and high school together but we really didn't "talk/date". 2 years after college, we randomly find each other on facebook. we happen to be in the same state for work, we meet, we date, get married... so it works. I like online contacting. It helps me find old friends.

• haha I never thought of it like speed dating.

• I met my boyfriend of nearly 3 years on a dating site, but we were just friends till we met in person.

I find it way easier to talk to people online because I'm really shy. Also guys online only see the decent pictures I put up. guys in real life see the ugly eye-offending real me, lol. One guy I rejected (he blatantly hadn't bothered to read my profile to see that I wasn't single) called me a princess who guys must be constantly drooling over, I was like erm... no.

• it is easier to talk online that's true, but there is that human element that is missing that makes it SO MUCH different

• Tried it, yes. Did it work, for a bit. Did we meet face to face, NO! We never even GOT to that point. My theory is that guys who date online are either too lazy or too ugly to get out and date, so they don't actually want to meet ever (just a stereotype, no offense to the good guys out there). So dating online was like talking to the same person every day about roughly the same things, sometimes doing things you might be able to call sexy if you had a twisted mind, and overall not really being satisfied. I recommend trying out the touchable girls and guys, because nothing beats real life. I love being able to walk places while holding his hand, instead of walking alone, or being on the phone with him. I'd say it's a waste of time, but as with most other things, it's something to do with personal preference. Give it a shot if you want, but I never will again...

• well the dude could have a busy life schedual. =/

but I do see what you mean if it never escalates it just plateaus and then slowly slopes to nothing...

humans need that physical touch... the tangibility.

• i met my current fiance online, but it wasn't on an actual dating site.

• what? like a forum, website, or random chat room?

• ohhh no chat rooms.. I think theyre completely dodgy! actually we're both closet geeks playing online games lol

• haha like the MMORPGs? what game?

• It could go either way.

• i see, like a coin flip.

• Exactly lol

What Guys Said 12

• I've tried online dating, and actually met the person in real :-)

Let's just say, it didn't go that well ^^

I decided to take a bus to get to her late at night, and it was actually the last bus that day, great.

Well, when I finally found her apartment, she wasn't at all what she told me :-(

She was slobby, messy, she actually smelled like she hadn't been taking a bath for a while, and then she kinda annoyed me...

I couldn't get home, so I told her I was tired, and went to bed early, then I sat an alarm on my phone to early next morning, when it rang I pretended to talk with my dad at the phone, and he then told her I had to get home, becouse I had to drive my dad somewhere, she accepted, I went to the local supermarked, bought some breakfirst, and then waited for the bus 1 an hour, then I took home, and we actually never talked again after that :-)

So for me, online dating didn't work out, at all :-p

• whoa! that just sounds like a big mess!

but would you ever try it again? the online dating ?

• Yes, I would try it again, but I would never take the last bus out to a girl again ;-)

• Might not work out well

There's so many layers, secrets and baggage to uncover in real life dating -

on line dating friendships add at least one more layer/veil to that getting to know you phase - before taking some sort of plunge.

I agree that your market has increased a thousand fold if only quantity was the goal.

I agree that some might be drawn into dating on line who would simply stay at home if real life dating.

In the end, it's the one that meets face-face that has the inside track and is more acceptable in the real world to peel away those veils.

• that is very true

it is seen as a bit of and odd phenomena with the online dating thing.

it is almost looked down upon...

• Have you tried meeting someone online? - Did.

did it work? yes? no? - At first.

what was the experience like? - Nothing really different than talking to someone in person.

did you actually meet face-to-face? if so how did that go? - Indeed. Well, had a relationship out of the few I came across. Went all right at first. Until they ended up being lying bitches. - And one one-night stand that was such a retarded thing. Because I wasn't even feeling the chick. It ended up being some pity sh*t because of how she was when I met her. It's really retarded.

• really? when I asked girls, a lot said it was the guy that was looking for the one night stands haha.

• Not really. But, those are most of the stuck up bitches tha think most guys are "creepers."

• I met my ex online, although we were in the same school but different forms, we hadn't known each other until we started chatting online. We were dating for more than a year. So, I chose C. Who knows what shall come next?

• i see just taking a leap of faith, huh? we'll see what happens right?

• Complete waste of time, you have no idea who you're actually dealing with and don't know if you actually have chemistry, 93% of the conversation is lost online. Body language and tone of voice people!

• that is very true the body can speak a lot more then words ever can. that one way you can tell if a girl is really into you. so without it seeing the other makes it hard, but what about a video chat with the other? what do you think then?

• Video chat would solve a lot of the problems of online dating, you still need physical contact for flirting though

• Ahhhhhhh, bad experience bad experience. I met a boy on a dating site and f***... He ended up being pretty damn creepy, and at the end got violent. Could have done something serious, you know. Baddd

• that sounds like it sucked. but good thing you ended it soon, huh?

• Yeah. Well, it wasn't really online dating I guess, since we only met online. But yeah, its good I was under no illusions before that came out, forsure =]

• 1) Yes.

2) It's still going on. I'm hopeful.

3) I really like her, it's pretty awesome.

4) Not yet but I will in a few months should she permit it.

• cool I hope it works out well for you. have you uesd a video chat to talk to her or is it all just e-mails and IMs?

• im sorry to heard... was it a really bad misunderstanding?

• She thinks I called another girl "sexy." I don't even say that word unless I'm joking. It was in a comment on a picture of a fat man-lady and I said something like "LOL. That's a sexy picture XD." But then the person who posted the pic changed it to a pic of herself, then the girl I've been talking to saw that. She refuses to believe me, and I'm crushed.

• Dose not work?

How about you ken knot spill?

• girls are far more picky online than in real life, they judge guys before they completely know them

• Sucks. The women are total liars.

• you should meet the person face to face sooner or later or else its not really "dating"

• that sounds like something to go by. from first contact how soon should you arrange a meet?

• It usually ends up in a disaster, it leaves at least two idiots emotionally destroyed and it takes those two ages to recover. Please mate, take this advice from someone who's become an expert on the matter, I've done it myself and I've known lots of people doing it over the years, result: it does not make a real-life couple, it's delusion. We're got 5 senses, online dating uses only 2, the 2 that can be fooled the most.

• i never said I was in the online dating thing, I just wanted to know really. but yeah we as humans love to see and touch, so not having those can be quite fearsome indeed.

but what if a video messenger was involve like skype? would that make it better at all in your opinion?

• Same man same, no matter how or on what website you meet them, you still need to meet them face to face as soon as possible. If you find it really hard to meet up or the other person showed you signs of ultimate unsocial/suspicious/self-centred behaviour, or if you had the slightest clue they're saying and doing the same thing with any other, then you should never discuss a relationship with them anymore. Online dating is there for matching, not for building a relationship.

• And trust me on this one last point: even if it worked out as a long distance relationship, even if you were so happy with it for many months, you'd still risk having the shock of your life when you move in with them and live together, you'd discover that all you've been through with them has nothing to do with the real life... so really, even the "success" of these relationships is not in fact a win at all, it's an all lose-lose situation.