Advice for dry skin on my face?

here are the facts:

-ive been using the same jar of moisturizer after showering for a couple years now. it was recommended by a dermatologist

-the dry skin comes about after a shower, even tho I use the moisturizer

-the dry skin is on some of my forehead, my cheeks, my chin, and the part of my jaw/neck where I shave.

-this only started happening in the last month or so..

you think my moisturizer expired or something?

what should I do to get rid of the dry skin. its like flaky.

ill update if I think of anything else.

Most Helpful Girl

• apparently lotions are good for up to three year, although SPF will have an expiry date. That being said, your skin might be changing. Mine doesn't react the same way now as it did a couple years ago. Also, did you change any soaps you use in the shower? Do you have hard water? These can all have an effect on your skin. Just be sure you moisturize immediately after your shower. The key is to trap moisture in, so wipe your face off and slap on the lotion before drying your hair!

Personally, I swear by Clinique's dramatically different lotion. The yellow stuff. It's amazing. It's a little pricey (not bad compared to other good brands, though), but a jar will last for a good year or so for me, using it every day.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 3

• The next time you're in walgreens, cvs or etc. pick up a facial buffing pad. They look like this: link and you can probably find them next to the bath sponges. You just wet your face and then softly rub the sponge in circles over the flaky areas. It'll remove all the flakes. I use mine every day :)

• Also, I agree with the below comment, that your lotion has likely not expired, and since it's from your dermatologist it's probably better than any facial lotion you could buy in the store. I'd try that buffing pad and if all else fails let your dermatologist know. :)

• I have dry skin from using benzel peroxide on my pimples...but my skin is flawless and smooth...I use the glove scrubbie things or exfoilator gloves to scrub the dried cracked up patches but after that I moisterize...I use st.ives St. Ives Soothing Oatmeal & Shea butter body lotion and also on the extremely dry times I use Aveeno Active Naturals Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion...becausefor me they give intense moisture and last. St ives is a little cheaper because it is like 5 bucks but aveeno is like 9...but they are still cheap...

I recommend you scrub the flakyness and get new moisturizer...get the aveeno stuff I wrote above...because it will work...

Question- Do you use After Shave around the dry areas?

Make sure you moisturize all over. EVERY DAY AND NIGHT.

• I used after shave the day I posted this. Then found out it can Cause dryness. Don't use aftershave anymore.

• Good that is why I had to ask that...that could have created the dryness lol

• I use natural home remedies for my dry skin...here is a mask recipe I use 2-3 times a week and it works well for me...

1 egg

1 teaspoon of honey,

1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and

few drops of rose water

What Guys Said 2

• Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize

Use a good moisturizing lotion for your skin and moisturizing I like the products from Sensible Addictions (salon quality) they have great fragrances Stargazer is one of my favorites. They have a full range of products from show gel to lotions in many fragrances they are all moisturizing. You can find them on the Web . Try their stuff I think you will like them. Also be careful of the detergent in the shampoo it will cause your hair to dry out and get frizzy. A lot of shampoos contain SLS which can be a strong detergent and strip the hair of natural oils. Try getting shampoos with out SLS. I like the products from Sensible Addictions they have great fragrances (for women and men). In your case they have a Aloe Shampoo that may be right. They have salon quality products. Also I would consider using a conditioner at least to start alternale between leave-in conditioner and regular conditioner. Try Sensible Additions products do not contain SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) or Parabens. Even of you don’t care about that kind of stuff you will find their products makes your hair feel good, healthy and smell good. Try their stuff I think you will like them.

• You could possibly have a form of dermatitis called eczema or psoriasis. Perhaps you should check out some creams that directly deal with this.