Can texting alone help build a relationship?

I've known this guy for about 4 months now. We've been texting almost every day.and sometimes till 2am in the morning and sometimes we don't text at all. But all we do is text each other but not talk on the phone or anything. We hung out several times but not alone.He always come out when I invite him but we get pretty quiet around each other. Through our texting, there are flirting and stuff.but he never take initiatives to ask me to hangout.recently, he invited me to his bday and his brother's bday dinner soon.

I do like him but I don't know if he likes me or not.should I continue with this and wait to see what happens? or should I just stop wasting time and find someone else?

Most Helpful Guy

• Try to spend some alone time with him it will help further the relationship (start off with small talk and go from there). If you want to be bold ask him if he wants to go to dinner with you, heck maybe you can do that for his birthday.

To answer your question, texting alone will never substitute for face to face conversations. I mean, you miss out on a lot of things that are essential to communication: tone of voice, gestures, body language, facial expressions etc.

What Guys Said 5

• Old School Rules: Everything important happens in person. Stand in his shoes: There's a girl you're texting, and a girl you're dating--which one are you serious about?

• Well, ino he's not dating anyone rt now...not that I want to have this type of texting communication...but I don't know what he is thinking of...in terms of..where this is going...

• He'll text you but he won't date you? Doesn't sound serious to me.

• I have a fiance. She is the most amazing woman in the world and the entire first 3 months or so was almost completely texting. I'm not saying this guy is mr. it or anything but at least give it a chance. You never know, he could be the one.

• Thanks!..yes, I don't want to give up on this so fast neither because my guts are telling me that this could be something...but I guess a part of me is afraid that he might be just playing around with me only...I got hurt once before and was very devastated..so I'm really scared the second time...i do feel strongly about this one...i mean...when we text..i felt we had a connection...n most of the times be bicker at each other, I actually enjoyed that...and it does makes me smile..

• trust me he think the same thing ,try to hang out together alone and see how it goes , because if you guys get quiet around each other its mean that both of you like each other ,

try to break the ice .

• How should I break the ice? I mean I want to just hangout alone with him, too but I feel like I've been doing all the initiating..which yes..i don't mind...but then again..i'm a girl..I don't want him to think like I'm crazy about him or anything...

how should I break the ice?

• Yea...he is...from what ino about him..i heard he's pretty shy..and he tells me himself..that he's shy..we'll I'm shy, too when it comes to someone I like...i did asked him to this movie screening before...alone...that was the plan..but later ended up meeting other people there, too...so wasn't alone at all...but no, he haven't asked me to anything alone yet...so I'm not sure...

• First don't go somewhere you expect to meet people you know there , try to pick a different place next time but also public , of course when it came to the ones who we like we gonna be shy ,

try to encourge him ,give him signs that you're into him but don't look desperate though , its tough I know tell me about it ,

• possibly

• it can

What Girls Said 3

• Oh Your God. I refuse to believe you are actually 25 years old. Are you serious? A relationship through text? You said it all yourself when you said you are quiet when you are actually physically together. For some reason people feel they can say whatever they want in a text to someone but freeze up when they are put into a real social situation with that person. Ok. I don't believe it but I am going to give you some advice and it actually suggests more texting. Only to get you through the point of breaking the ice though! It is obvious you haven't built a relationship with this guy because you can't even look each other in the eye so I suggest you use text to break the ice. When you guys get together at his birthday party start texting each other. The next time you two are in the same room text each other. This way you can say what you really want to say to each other and be physically in each others company. I'm not sure how many times you will have to do this before you can have a real conversation but hopefully it will only be once. This text/ in person contact will help you two put together the text conversations with the person. Text detaches you from the actual person you are and people have a hard time putting those two together in reality. If all goes well you will only have to do this one time and you will be able to start actually talking to each other the same day. Whatever you do don't fall back into the text hell you got yourself into. CALL each other. TALK to each other.

• No..i don't want a relationship through text..but for some reason..it seems like this is how we're starting out....definitely..its a plus if we can talk more on the fone..but becuase he doesn't do anything and I'm too scared also...so I guess neither one willing to take initiative...

• From my experience, texting alone won't help you build the relationship. It good that you're guys are hanging out because that is going to be big help. Don't rely on text message, talk to him on the phone too. Maybe he'll be talkative with you on the phone and when you see him just get him to talk to you. Just ask about his day, his work or something.

• Yea, I would love to talk to him on the phone, too, but I don't know how he feels about that. I don't want to feel embarass neither if it turns out that he doesn't want to talk on the phone. but I guess I can give it a try first. Last night while texting, I felt he wasn't being too responsive or interested in communicating, so I told him I'll stop asking him questions, since it seems like he's busy and not really into it. then minutes later, he replied and started asking qs. does this mean anything?

• OK if a guy ask a lot of question yes I does mean they are interested in you. If you guys are talking all night till 2am then chance are he interested. You can do a relationship based on texting, you have to go out with, ask him to a movie or dinner or just to hang out. And see what happen's, He could be shy so make your move.