Guys: Does flirting over text message really count?

Some people will say that flirting over text message is just an ego thing for some guys, whereas others will say that it's a way of finding out things that you'd be too shy to ask/admit to the person if it were a face to face flirt conversation.

I have flirted over text before with a guy that I like. He likes me back, but I don't know if he'd just pass off what I said to him as harmless fun. Even though it was a bit of fun, I still meant what I said because I like him a lot. Thoughts?

Do guys see text flirting as meaning something more or boosting ego/harmless fun?

Most Helpful Guy

• In generally, flirting is serious. People generally don't flirt if they aren't interested though the social context of it allows them to duck and cover it they find out the other person isn't desirable.

One thing I did find out is that people don't generally joke about sex. If they are joking about on the subject of swinging, biplay, SM or pretty much anything else, it is usually a signal of some interest and my be a cue to pursue. Most of the swingers I know got started by one of the partners "joking" about swinging and the conversation eventually took hold.

What Guys Said 5

• No it doesn't count. It is harmless fun but doesn't necessarily always mean that just because a guy doesn't do it over a text message definitely doesn't mean he wouldn't flirt with you in person. When a guy gets a text from a girl it's like "She texted me, big deal, just words on a screen" I'm not saying that it is that way all the time but it is for the most part because a guy would much rather hear your pretty voice, or better do it in person, then just get another text. While you meant what you said he doesn't know that because you aren't talking to him. He could maybe judge if you were telling the truth or if you were playing with him by the tone of your voice. That's why he maybe takes your texts at little value. I'm not saying that they are worthless, but for sure less than a phone call. Hope I helped.

• text flirting I guess would probably most likely be harmless fun, because nothing over text counts at all. honestly, what is the deal with text messaging nowadays? don't people understand that it doesn't count for anything?

• Text flirting just shows your immaturity. If you want a guy to know how immature you are just start flirting with him through text. This will really turn him on if he is a pedophile. Pedophiles thrive on immaturity and naivety. So if you are looking for someone who likes immature girls keep doing what you are doing.

• I write this at least once a day: everything significant happens in person.

Text flirting is fun, but insignificant. Does not count.

• just keep it to yourself

• It can be innocent

What Girls Said 2

• Sometimes it can mean something but sometimes it does not. Some times guys use text messages to say things that they normally would not say in person.You should not count on text to find out if someone likes you because they can write down anything to tell you, but they probably would not tell you in person.You can only tell if there is a spark in person or through the phone. you can hold all kind of conversations texting and online. But you can only find out the real person and if they like in person or on the phone.

• i think it should count. it's a way of communication just like talking on the phone and if someone wants to just b.s. then that's on them. I guess you have to know what kind of person they really are to determine if they are real in their texts, or not.

and people can b.s. over the phone too.