What do you think of braces on a 29-year-old guy?

I am 29 and I am about to get braces. I need to decide between invisalign and traditional braces. I know invisalign is less noticeable, but my orthodontist says the other braces will be faster and cheaper. And in the end my teeth would look better.

My question for the girls is, do you think braces on an adult man look unattractive or goofy? The main reason I am getting braces to look more attractive, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. I will need to wear them for 18 months.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's not too bad. I was recently told I'd need braces (again, the first time the dentist f***ed up) and another pallet expander (this time once, again, it will be inserted properly) as well as head gear because it's harder to move sh*t this time around. All of which I laughed at and walked away from. Unless you're looking down at my lower row of teeth everything looks pretty fine, minus some discolorations, which I am taking care of.

I guess my point is it's about you. And if you can go 18 months with braces and still be confident and it won't be a blow to your ego then go do it. I know, for me, while it's not a turn off I'd still poke fun at it occasionally because it is a little goofy for adults to have braces. So think about if you really want them and how bad your teeth really are and if girls care right now what your teeth look like. Because if they don't, why waste the money and the insurance money and get something that you don't need. As long as you don't care about it yourself either.

So no, I wouldn't not date you because of them, but it can make some things awkward and, being completely honest, if I did date you I'd poke fun at them a little bit, because you would look a little silly. But that's about it.

What Girls Said 5

• haha I remember in high school I thought guys with braces were so cute but now that I'm in college its rare to see them on older guys but I think it would be attractive , you should get them 18 months will be worth all the years of straight teeth after that!

• A lady at my work is 40 years old and she has braces. I have braces and I'm 21 (I get them off in june/july! yay!) Two other girls at my work wear braces and they are in their early twenties. My sister's boyfriend who's 25 has invisalign. What I'm trying to say is that it's not too late to get braces! A lot of people are getting it when they're older.

I have clear brackets for both top and bottom rows of teeth so it's less noticable. Some orthodontists only put clear brackets on the top row and have metal brackets on the bottom row. Anyways, if all goes to plan, I would have only worn my braces for 14 months!

I would recomment the traditional braces with clear ceramic brackets (it's less noticable than the metal ones). The thing about invialign is that you have to take them off when you eat or snack.. my sister's boyfriend ends up only wearing them at night (when he remembers) which slows down the speed of movement of his teeth!

Also, it depends on your job as to which types of braces you choose. If you've got a high paid job (lawyer, accountant, doctor) then maybe I'd go for invisalign because your clients need to take you seriously. Braces make you look younger than your age - people think I'm 16 when I'm actually 21 arghh.. (but I guess it's OK since I'm still at college)

I don't think anyone would look anyone unattractive in braces because I have them, and I hope to god I don't look rediculous when I smile at guys in clubs. Personall, I wouldn't get turned off by a guy wearing braces. It's really common to see adults wearing them now. I also think that if you wear them with confidence no one would even care that you wear them. 18months in braces then perfect teeth for the rest of your life :) I say go for it!

• Definitely get traditional ones. You can take invisalines out, which would take a lot longer to fix your teeth. If a lady doesn't want you because you'll have braces for a little bit, is she really that great of a catch?

• a bit old, but better late than never

• I had Invisalign and it worked fine on my teeth. It's really up to you what you want to do.

What Guys Said 3

• It's kinda like walkin' around with a big ugly cast on your leg. People Magazine ain't gonna vote ya sexiest man alive, but children won't likely be revulsed in horror at your grotesque image either. Heck, it's only 18 months

• I am 21 and I have braces. They actually bumped up my confidence level haha.

I thought that my friends would make fun of me but in reality no one cares.

1) Its easier for me to start talking to random girls who have braces or just lovely teeth

2) I know that sooner or later my teeth will look lovely

3) In my opinion, you will get that extra respect from girls.

Just do it!

• learn to hide your teeth lol