How do you go about dating in the 19th century America?

I'm going back to the year 1860

• As female would you rather date me ?
  • Or A female?lol

Most Helpful Girl

• Back in the 19th Century, men and women didn't "date" per say. Men called upon young ladies during the appointed social calling hour, and were chaperoned by a member of the young lady's household. In the upper classes, social events were held and men and women were allowed to socialize freely within the confines of a public setting. It was scandalous for a man and woman to be left alone, unless they were man and wife. Most times, marriages were based upon wealth and status.

In the lower classes, men and women had a little more freedom about how they saw each other. Since the public eye did not scrutinize them as much, they were not confined to the limitations the upper class had.

What Girls Said 4

• Man, I don't even know how to go about dating in this century. Dating is much more complicated this days. Back in those days it was easier for women and men to date in the sense that men and women were much more respectful and courteous. And since hardly were they allowed (by their families) to freely date as many people as they wanted, in a sense they were somewhat more careful and APPRECIATED much more true love, were not just playing around or testing waters. If they found the right one they basically married and "lived happily ever after."

• Well, obviously I wasn't there but I've read about it haha.

I think the guys would send letters to the girl they were interested in, maybe ask for a bit of her hair, yeah they did that...

Guys and girls would meet at a ball, and then the guy would ask to be introduced to the lady who got his attention and ask her to dance.

It was all pretty formal stuff.

• what I ask you today for your hair lol

and would be creepy back then to ask a stranger for her hair

also was magnitude of get hair the same as a blow job today lol

• back then I would be worried about her living long enough for the 2nd date lol

• what country?

• courting, getting to know her family ect.

What Guys Said 4

• "I'm going back to the year 1860."

Good luck with that. How do you plan to get there?

• SHOTGUN WEDDING! 8D

• In Balkans (Ottoman Empire, Europe) girls were going to get water from village fountain. There guys and girls were flirting.

• LMAO!

Bring me back some photos of the Civil War which kicks off the following year!