Do politics matter to you in who you choose to date?

Just wondering...if you're a hardcore Democrat or Republican, or very liberal or very conservative, would you still consider dating or getting involved with someone whose beliefs are very different than yours? How much does it matter?

Do relationships where two people disagree on almost everything politically work? Who has actually been in one of these relationships?

Are there any specific political issues that are deal-breakers if the person disagrees with you?

Also, what do you do when you live in an area where virtually everyone disagrees with you politically? Is dating even possible? I have a lot of guy friends who disagree with me politically, but I somehow thing dating women who disagree would be harder.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would not date a liberal. I think I would be much more compatible with a conservative republican like myself.

What Girls Said 5

• Yes, politics matter to me.

Why? Because politics isn't just a matter of who you vote for. My politics are based on my core beliefs and values. Someone on the opposite side of the political spectrum would have very different beliefs and values than me, and as such, we wouldn't be compatible.

• On certain issues, it doesn't matter. On others it matters to me greatly...particularly issues of social justice. And while I could date someone who was not particularly political, or was moderate and open minded, I could never date someone who was bigoted against others. At that point, it's not just politics but about personal values.

That being said, I do know at least one long-married couple who have extremely different political opinions but have managed to stay together for almost 30 years. How; I don't know. But apparently it is possible.

• I could not date a hardcore conservative guy, he would not agree with my lifestyle and I would not agree with his.

• To some extent, yes. I have very noninterventionist views, and if I were to date a man or woman who is prejudiced and bigoted, then I would have a problem. I am a very opinionated person, and I get irritated easily at peoples stupidity.

• Yes!

Well, we don't have to agree on each and every single issue, but some things are just too important (and say a lot about a person's character) to not agree on them. If his main political attitude is against mine, I wouldn't date him.

Deal brakers: capital punishment (no!), private or public health care and education (public), homosexuality (sure).

What Guys Said 2

• I have dated someone who had different political beliefs, and well at first it didn't really matter, we didn't really talk about it much, but then it got worse and we started to clash, just because she knew a lot about her party and I knew a lot about mine, so saying something as simple as stupid liberal hippies, would spark huge argument, and we pretty much got sick of each other, so it didn't work out, as that say opposites do attract but most of the time they don't last.

My current girlfriend has the same beliefs I do and so does her family, and we get along great.

• I think it matters greatly I would not date someone who was too unlike me politically.