How bad is it to break-up via text message?

Just asking, I was the recipient of a text message break-up. I don't know how it's viewed in the dating world, I only hear that it's bad.

What I really want to know is why some people do it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's for respect for what you had, because the relationship was once special. Show respect for yourself and respect for the other person. When you asked them to be in a relationship with you , you did it face to face didn't you... when you guys kissed for the first time it was in person.

Breaking up by a text is easier for the one who ends it but not for the person you're breaking the heart. I know their heart is still going to be broken even if you do it by phone or on person but why not let the other person have a good memory of you.

What Girls Said 7

• YES ITS BAD!...if you've only been going out a week..or seeing each other for a week, then I might just let it off...but anymore then that, then yes its bad. Its so the cowards way out, if you're gonna dump someone (not you personally) but if someone is going to dump someone, then they should at least do it face to face...whatever the senario, no matter why the break up..i would much rather be told in person.

• I've done it ONCE and that was because I was so f***ing pissed he cheated on me I couldn't even tell him face to face I didn't text him though I called him and let him know what a worthless piece of sh*t he was :)

• It is extremely pathetic and childish because you avoid face to face contact.

• It is worse than in person, and makes the other person feel worse and more mad. It's just easier in person.

• On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, it's an 11.5...

• I think breaking up via text message is a giant cowardice and shows lack of respect.

• Because of the uprising of cell phone technology, people are too lazy to call. Breaking up via text message is a coward move.

What Guys Said 3

• It's pathetic. It means she's got no character and even less respect for you.

I guarantee you if you had the numbers of the ratio of guys vs. girls who have done it, the girls win by 2:1.

• I think anyone who does this needs to be beaten with a wet noodle.

• It makes the person doing it a giant tool