Online Dating...?!!!

I know nowadays almost everyone has at least tried or browsed online dating sites...but does online dating work? Are there ever "happy ever afters" from it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I haven't made use of any online dating sites because I largely think they are a waste of time. This isn't to say I don't like online dating, though.

I'm in a (now real physical relationship) online relationship with someone else, and we have been going for four years, and are now engaged, as well. It can work as love can work anywhere else simply by allowing others to get to know each other (sometimes quicker that in real life) fast and then move the relationship up a notch. In terms of dating websites, they let you advertise your preferences and some of the better ones even filter the people you see, as well.

I met my girlfriend on an online game, funny enough. Counts as online dating as far as I'm concerned, we became friends on the game, then got each others messenger details, and then after a while, hit it off really well. I stand by the 'don't look for love' kind of thing when it comes to relationships, but not a lot of people are able to do that and even more do it wrong, as well.

Still, online dating is good because it lets you learn about someone without much risk, such as the perhaps having someone at your workplace/school hating you or feeling bad for the next month or so because it didn't work out - and online people are more open and friendly and more theirself, too.

So uh, hope that made sense and answered your question. :)

What Guys Said 4

• Well, in a perfect world all advertising would be the honest truth. That would mean that those e-harmony commercials were true and people really did find their perfect mate. Of course that means that I can attract any women I want with the right cologne and cars really do fly. I will say that online dating will give you a wider range of people, ways to narrow down the field and a way to filter out the morons. Exchanging e-mail messages and IM's can also let you get to know one another before you actually meet in person. It can save time and recent surveys have shown it to be more effective at meeting people than going to a local bar.

• All I hear from girl friends are disaster stories.

Think about it.

If I, as a guy, was looking to present myself as the most lovely, smartest, fun person, then just creating an online profile and say that I like cats and long walks on the beach, internet dating would be the perfect option for me.

Trying to find someone interesting over the internet can be shady anyway.

All you need to be is a good writer to make yourself seem interesting.

It might be easier to contact guys when you're looking for them online,

but this is exactly what douchebag guys think too.

• Oh, by the way, there's some dude on here who posted this question:

"What attracts women to a dating profile?

What can I put in my online profile that will be different and attract more interest from women? "

...

• Hopefully, there has to be some honest, decent people on it as well. Has to be better than meeting drunk people!

• gotta look somewhere. Who really wants to look for a mate in a bar? You will find the same types of people everywhere. You just got to understand that they are putting their best foot forward and weed out the ones that are suspicious.I met two lovely women on a dating site and do not regret it at all.

• Yes it works... if you actually reply to guys that message you and go out on a date with them. Very easy, but most women make it very difficult.

What Girls Said 4

• Online dating can be a useful tool. If you are serious about using it I would suggest OK Cupid or Plenty of Fish. Just be careful, a dating site is just as good as how honest the users are. If the users are posting fake pics or really old ones and lying about stuff, than its not going to make for a very useful website. And there are a lot of fakers out there. Just be really careful, and feel someone out before you decide to meet them. Ask a lot of questions and try to see as many pics as possible. Even webcam if you have to, but be careful. Don't do anything that you are uncomfortable with. A lot of guys will say they want a relationship, just so they can work their way into your pants.

Online dating helps to open you up to a lot of new people that you probably wouldn't meet on your own at the bars. Some people just don't like the bar scene or don't frequent the same places you would. So its a good way to meet new faces.

There are some decent guys on there, you just have to weed through the bad ones, and you will get some vulgar messages too. I have been using this for a few years on and off, and I found a really great guy off of POF :) So it is possible.

If you do decide to meet someone, meet in a public place like a coffee shop and tell a friend what is going on so if something happens they can contact help. Not trying to scare you, just some tips. I have never had a scary situation yet, but its always good to be prepared.

But online dating can be a useful tool, there are people who get married after meeting off of those sites. I would stick to the free ones tho, because they are free and you aren't wasting money if you feel it isn't for you eventually.

• Thank you! And congrats of that working out for you! I think I will dip my toe in the water and give a free one a try!

• I'm in a relationship like that, mine is a 'happy ever after' up to now, I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years and we are happy and want to get married one day :) But I do think a lot of them fail because of distance and not really expecting it to work or really wanting it to.

• Thank you! Glad everything worked out that way for you!

• Ii don't think it's such a waste of time, Jawless, it's just... well, it depends on your personality and on what you need right now: for me those little bits of online experience i had helped a lot, when i went on a couple of dating sites: okcupid, i guess, and another, kovla. com, and then there were tones of chatrooms)) so when i tried it all, it boosted my self-exteem, helped me feel more secure, more attractive. sometimes you don't have to get a miraculous experience, you just express yourself and meet new people and get complimented :)

• it's not about meeting online or offline, it's about the people, so why not have a try? agegapcupid (dot) com join to start dating , xx