Online dating safety tips? What are yours?

I am thinking about trying the online dating thing, and wondering if you have any tips regarding safety? I.e., how much information to really give out, when to meet, how to meet, etc.

Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• Well here's how I do it.

You tell him to meet on a small plaza. Have 2 teams of 8 freinds armed with CS gas, tasers and stun guns wating in civilian vans at an ETA of 2 mins.

Wear a transmitter.

Have 2 more freinds on the rooftops, preferably once covering the entrances and exits to the plaza with a sniper rifle and the other coving the plaza itself with a heavy belt fed machine gun. Mortars and RPGs can do no harm.

Then organise the meet. When you see the guy, if everything goes smoothly, move out, you will loose the cover of your freinds on the rooftop but don't take your transmitter off as the two white vans will be following you everywhere.

If at any point he creeps you out just yell and jump to the ground while your freinds fill him with lead.

Simple really.

Also encrypt all the messages you send to guys so they can't figure them out. This will make you safe. Another good tip is to hire a chinaman to manage your account for you, guys will think you live in china but the trick is you don't!

Oh I almost forgot, It might be a good idea to wear a stab vest or kevlar, if you have a vehicle make sure it's armored, don't go for standar steel plating, go for quadruple in case he throws a grenade at you or something. A helmet can be a good idea too.

Don't neglect taking a telescopuc baton, some mace, some sting grenades, a compact sub machinegun lots of ammo and a good sturdy hunting knife in case it comes down to close quaters.

Also I wouldn't say it's a bad idea to take some extensive attack Jiu Jitsu training to learn how to quickly disable him.

Good Luck, may the lord be with you!

• You forgot tactical nukes, psychic soldiers and suicide bombers!

• You're right I'm a bit laxist on security measures lately. Can't be a bad idea to have the block she's meeting in rigged with C4 in case it goes wrong, and to wear a suicide vest in case he tries to touch her!

What Guys Said 19

• Don't give out your e-mail address or real name in your profile. Always be vague about where you live when asked. Exchange multiple e-mails before meeting a guy and when you do - make sure it's in the day in a public place. Tell your friends where you're going and who you're with AND arrange for one of them to call you sometime during the date to see how things are going. This also provides an easy exit if you're not enjoying yourself.

~Distant

• (1)Talk with the guy for a while before agreeing to meet him in person. If he can't deal with waiting a little before you feel comfortable meeting him, he's not going to be much of a man anyway.

(2) There are websites that you can do background searches on. If he won't give you any info with which to search him, better play it safe and decline a meeting. Don't give him any info by which he could harass you. (Maybe this doesn't sound fair, too bad, men are rarely harmed by women, but sadly, it doesn't go the other way around as equally.

(3) Meet only in a public place where you feel safe and stay there. It doesn't help if 15 minutes later you are in his car heading out into the boonies.

(4) Give his personal information to a good friend and tell him you are doing it too. If he is a real man, he will understand you need to stay safe, and he will respect that as well.

I met a wonderful lady online and we have been together for more than a year and everything is great. I had to go through a few others first, but keep trying and have a good time.

• Here are some safety tips you can follow to prevent danger on dating sites

--Make sure you meet the guy in a nice public area

--Ask him for facebook, myspace, or anything similar

--Get many pictures of him before you meet, that way you know he is real

--Someone who is dangerous might put a fake pic and profile up and use a public computer so they won't be tracked by IP address, so gather as much info as possible about dude

--Talk to him several times on the phone before you meet us

--Let people you know where you are going and with who: before the date, tell some friends and family members

--Never agree to meet really late at night and try to avoid alcohol the first few dates

Hope this helps

• This is good. Basically leave a note for someone with as much info as you can get. Don't give out any identifying info about you or where you work/live. Know what he looks like. Take your car and don't ride in his. Stay in public areas. It's pretty much common sense.

A date of mine was nervous so I gave her my info and suggested she write a note. It's a turnoff when you act all paranoid though. In reality, most people you'll meet are just like you. All you have to use is common sense

• in fairness if they know about ip tracking they prob can just mask thier ip address. beside why would they be woriied about that is not like that has anything to do with a fake photo, if they were doing something illegal then makes sense but then it doesn't because the public place could have camera and/or logs

• Honestly, online dating is not really dangerous. You might end up meeting some people who are kind of weird or who you don't like, but I don't think you really have reason to worry all that much. I've been using online dating sites for years, and so have many of my friends (both male and female), and none of us have ever had a problem. I'd just recommend emailing with the person (through the site) back and forth a few times first, then becoming facebook friends. You can meet for the first date (whether it is for coffee, dinner, etc) if you don't feel comfortable having them know where you live right away, but honestly I don't really see there being any more danger in meeting someone online than I do in meeting a person in a bar or anywhere else in public and agreeing to go on a date with that person. You don't really know the person in either of those scenarios.

• The tip I would suggest is talk about your interests and things that you WILL do with your future partner that your looking for... Be honest but never give them enough to read you like a book... Some people are predy clever and will read your profile and learn how to say the right things... So in conversation with them keep in mind what they say to you keep the conversation going to the topic and test them if they are just saying things for your interest or actually their own... Never settle, many people have different interests and when we meet somebody we like we tend to give up certain convictions or hobbies for theirs and that never works out in the end... READ EVERY WORD they print... Most guys will show their true intentions after some time... So if you have questions about conflicting view points than most likely you will when and if you meet...

For me when reading a profile I pass on profile's without more than one pic, TIP: if someone has more than two pics of themselves ( not their dog, kids, WIFE , ex whatever...) than they seem to be confident about themselves, unless you can tell that all the pics they have they took of themselves, maybe a bit lonely, desperate, and selfish...

TIP: when talking about themselves they do not share a lot about who they are and how they became the person they are today... Then again look out for the I,I I, ME , ME, ME guy that person would be totally selfabsobed and phony, YOU DON"T WANT THAT !

THE BIGGEST TIP: Never give out numbers , emails, address, ect... at first until you know in your heart that this person is guinuine...

I have myself dated online I can be very smooth and say all the right things that melt there heart and I have noticed some of the women fall head over heals over the dating sites and email correspondences.. To the point the women would by pass my interests ( like camping ) for an example when they prefer a luxurious hotel or something... We would meet and then find out she really doesn't like to sit by a campfire with the loons signing... She did not think everything through... So be careful NOT to lose yourself and what your really looking for in a man ...

• please excuse my spelling : I must have used spill cheek,lol

• It's all a crap shoot.

The only thing I can think of is telling him to meet to some where you can observe or see him first.

For example "meet me at the patio of the Starbucks" and you sit somewhere that he cannot see you. Don't use binoculars or any weird sh*t like that, or don't sit where he will see you before you walk up to meet him. Like inside or the table over.

How will you know it's him? Text him too see if he is there yet or ask him to wear a specific thing. Public Places are safest, epically out in the open. Don't bring a friend unless you want to send a "I don't trust you" vibe. Have a friend close bye that you can signal to leave because it's OK or come rescue you if need be.

• Never tell them where you live, if you meet do it in a crowded public place in the daytime and let multiple friends know where you are going to be. Also make sure to arrange for you to call a friend sometime during the date to let them know you are okay, tell him you are going to the bathroom..if I know women I'm sure you will have to at some point during the date.

• I aggre with with it alll except the last part

• ill give you the best safety tip about online dating: stay away from it.

Your a hundred times better doing things the old fashioned way by socializing with friends and meeting new people. Reading an online profile which is almost like a sales ad is a retarded way to get to know someone. Its a fact that using texts online as a form of communication is so much worse than talking to someone in person.

• You want tips on safety? Online dating isn't safe, and nothing you do will make it safe. There is always considerable risk, and it's up to you to decide whether to bring along the cavalry or assume the guy isn't a rapist/psycho. Either way, it's a lose/lose situation.

If you bring your friends along, it kills the date. It's both awkward and offensive to the guy, because most men value their integrity and would rather not have judgmental eyes staring him down having assumed he's a psycho/rapist. The relationship would be set up for failure.

On the other hand, if you go alone, the guy will turn out to be a rapist/psycho, and when nobody is around, he will sedate, molest, and rape you. If you are really unlucky, he might actually murder you and chop up your limbs. Ouch! Take it from me, online dating is something you want to steer clear from!

• DONT DO IT ahhahahahaha... my advice to you... don't do it..

• Get a gun and set a date.

If something happens -- shoot to kill, then rip off your clothes and start yelling that he tried to rape you, even if he didn't.

You'll get away safely from both a bad date and accusal of murder.

• Hey that's a great idea! Lmao...

• probably but I was assuming corrruption wasn't happening, like in non-currupt legal system that is how is would work out

• There's no such thing as a "non-corrupt legal system".

• Don't do it, get your a*s off the computer, and find someone real.

• trust your gut

think with your brain not your heart

better to be safe then sorry

• Learn how to kick someone in the nuts.

• I hope you get kidnapped or something so can see where kiicking someone in the nuts you. anyone is going to kidnapp you or something is prob not a bitch, infact since they will prob have adrenaline they prob won't even feel it anyways

• Condoms, cell phone, and gun. I'm geared up for anything! :D

• Watch for red flags. If they ask for money, walk away and block them imediately

• First meet in a public space. And don't go to bed with the them the first time you meet them.

• In addition to what every other guy has said here, make sure you tell someone where you're going and who you're meeting. Be cautious of people who constantly change the meet time and place.

• Chloroform- is the organic compound with formula CHCl3. The colorless, sweet-smelling, dense liquid is a trihalomethane, and is considered somewhat hazardous. Several million tons are produced annually as a precursor to Teflon and refrigerants, but its use for refrigerants is being phased out.

What Girls Said 10

• I met my boyfriend online and we're in a very successful relationship, so don't completely disregard online dating like everyone does. Sure the chances of you meeting someone who isn't a total internet weirdo are pretty slim, but it can happen.

My tips:

1. PHOTOS. Only accept someone who has a profile photo, and preferably a few more. If they don't have one and say stuff like 'looks aren't important', then they are doing online dating wrong.

Don't show cleavage in your photo, don't wear too much makeup if any. Look natural and pretty, no hint of sluttiness or you will have too many people hitting you up for casual sex.

With info on your profile, you kind of need to put your general location like your city/town, but other things are optional. I had the stuff the site suggested, like height, hair colour, build, religion, non-smoker etc. This stuff is optional but without it you're less likely to get any requests. No point putting even your first name, as this will come up when you chat to someone.

2. Use a site that seems to be frequented by people in your age group, and less by older ones. Also restrict the people who can contact you to the age range you want. (I used oasis, if this helps at all for your area, I'm in Aus so it might not be popular elsewhere.)

3. Be clear about what you're looking for in your profile. Don't let yourself be knocked off your feet by flattery, or everyone gets too involved too quickly before you meet. TALK AS FRIENDS FOR AT LEAST A MONTH BEFORE YOU MEET. I talked to my boyfriend for 2 months before we met up - there's of course a risk that one of you is going to have completely misjudged the other and you will have a super awkward "date" thing and go home and never speak again. However it's important to talk online as it gives you time to try and scope out their personality (yes, even if they could be a massive troll or rapist, but we're accepting that this is a given risk with life in general).

4. Facebook. It's hard to fake a fb that has a reasonable amount of friends and an active wall. They'd have to be a MASSIVE troll to bother pulling that off, so always add them on fb or some other networking site where you can see the "real" them kind of in action.

5. If and when you meet, MEET AS FRIENDS. Don't let either party get up any expectations, or you might feel pressured into things even if you don't /really/ like the real them.

TELL AT LEAST ONE FRIEND WHERE YOU'RE GOING, THEIR FULL NAME, EMAIL (or dating site screen name) AND NUMBER. It's a good idea to call your friend at one or two points during it; if they don't hear from you they can call you. Even jokingly mention that your friend's calling to check you're still alive, just to hint at any potential murderer that you'll be missed.

6. Of course meet in a public place and don't let them know where your house is unless you're comfortable with them at the end of the meet up. Coffee is always a good place to start, or a shopping centre, the park if it's busy enough.

• depends on where you live. for a time, I was living right by NYC, so that's where I would meet guys: in very public places.

i recommend meeting after no less than 2 weeks.

give out your number after no less than a week.

above all, trust your gut.

i met my boyfriend on the internet and only dated people through the internet (with the exception of one guy). there were bad dates/experiences along with good dates/experiences. I learned a lot about myself and what I was looking for and what I needed in a relationship.

for those who are shy (like me), I highly recommend internet dating.

for your profile, always be honest.

give your honest age, honest general location (for example, say manhattan but not specifically lexington and 123rd), honest desire for children, whether you have children (you don't need to say you have kids in your profile), be honest about your drinking/drug/smoking habits, etc;

always have at least one full body picture (cuz yes, men like to see the whole picture) and a picture of your face. also have a pic of you doing something fun with friends that doesn't include drinking/smoking.

• just remember, guys and girls always want to make themselves look better than what they really are. it's hard to judge personality from online, its hard to judge from what they say or type. it takes a lot more real life experience to know them well rounded and each of them individually. overall , my rule is extreme caution and I have never dated online.

• I agree with Asailum.

Online dating isn't worth it. I've tried it and I found that it wasn't good at all. You will meet tons of guys, but once you meet the guy in person, you will most likely find that you don't click as well as you would have thought from the profile. An online profile basically doesn't tell you all that much about the person.

• know some Ka Ra Te!

• dont give out your address!! i can't stress this enough... experience talking

• My online dating safety tips?

Don't date online.

• use the common sense god gave you! that's the best tip!

• Always tell a friend where your going, when, and meet in separate cars, don't bring them home and preferably meet with your friend their so they can see his face and if you need to run away cause he's not who he said he was, you can leave with that friend. Get your own drinks, I know its paranoid but what if he slips you something!

• Best thing to do is don't give out where you live your phone number right away talk for a few weeks before you choose to meet and meet in a public place where you can talk face to face first. And meet like this for a few weeks until you know the person a little better, after you feel comfortable with the person then if you want to give your information then you can, best thing I can tell you if you feel something is not right with that person then there is a good chance its not good. Before you even give any information out make sure they are who they say they are. I like to talk on yahoo IM for about a month before I meet someone face to face and I never meet at or near where I live. I don't get into detail about anything too personal like where I work where I live I don't even give out my phone number until I meet them several times. And when you are meeting someone make sure you tell someone where you are going to be and make sure you tell that person when you get home, that way you know you have someone looking out for you and they can get a help if they haven't heard from you. Best thing you can also do is have that person call you and check on you 20 min in to meeting the person and that's also a really good way to get out if you don't feel right you can say oh I'm sorry I have a family emergency I have too go. And if everything is going all right you can have a code word with your friend saying everything is alright or something isn't right that why he won't know what really is going on. But don't text because text messages don't always come through when you want them too best thing is to call. Carry either a blow horn or pepper spray with you just in case you may never need it. And don't ever believe a word they say online people are not always who they seem through a key board. Take everything slow, and keep your guard up at all times. Always trust your gut feeling, and if you really want to talk on the phone before you meet ask for his number and call but block your number I think its *76 but you can look that up or call your phone company. Some dating sites have for an extra fee where you can call the person through them which will allow you to talk with out either one of you to know phone numbers. Be careful what you put on your profile. And relax and be your self, talk to as many people as you want and pick the best match you feel would be best for you. If you want to really get a feel for the person you can do a video chat on any of the IM that's a really good way to break the ice because your both going to be in your own home and people are more relaxed in there own surroundings. Make sure your both on the same page on what you want because there are a lot of men out there looking for hook ups now not all of them are that way but I meet a lot on those sites like that, and remember if he sounds too good to be true then chances are it is. Best of luck to you and I hope you well in this. And if you want to know anything else just add a comment