Should young people (usually under 18 but sometimes a little over 18) be in long term relationships?

kinda self explanatory but. I just saw a question where the girl is 16 and she's been with her boyfriend for two years. I know I'm a guy and its gonna sound kinda sexist but I believe you should be "dating" at a younger age, not having long term relationships like this one. my reasoning: you still have your whole life ahead of you, why get bogged down at such a young age, especially if they wind up getting pregnant (16 and pregnant show reference). plus, younger people have a harder time getting over longer relationships (if they were to ever break up)

so, regardless of what you think of my opinion. I want to know yours. do you think young people should be in long term (usually more than 3 months) relationships

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been with my boyfriend for 3 and 1/2 years this May & I'm a junior in high school. But I really think it depends on the people in the relationship. I honestly didn't think the relationship would last this long, but it happened and I'm glad. If we ever break up, yeah it's going to hurt but I don't think I will have a harder time getting over it than anyone else would. Yeah I know I have the rest of my life ahead of me, that's why I made a clear statement to him that I won't get engaged or married right after we graduate, even though everyone expects us to. I told him he would have to wait till after I finish college and if he couldn't do that, than it would be pointless to even think about marriage. Honestly, that's one of the last thing on my mind. And you can get pregnant not even being in a relationship, so I don't see how that would have more concern. If anything, I think it would be better because at least you know that person and you know you wanted them before the couple got pregnant.

• id heed the above answerers advice

• Sorry but I disagree, I'm living the way I enjoy my life, do things I want, and having my boyfriend around

What Girls Said 4

• I think if a couple can last that long, they should.

I've been with my boyfriend for 5 months now, and I don't really see it ending anytime soon.

I mean it's not like we're planning on getting married but why break it off because it's lasting too long?

Getting pregnant at a young age is a different issue I guess, but then again teenage pregnancies definitely aren't exclusive to long-term couples.

And that part about younger people having a harder time getting over longer relationships is, in all due respect, kinda bullsh*t. It depends totally on the individual and their committment to the relationship, not their age.

I think young couples should just enjoy the moment, and not worry about falling in love or "getting bogged down". If it happens it happens, if not, no biggie.

• younger people are immature. they have a harder time getting over them

• Alrighty buddy, whatever helps you sleep at night.

• ahh. young people, such delusional people

• Under 18's are better off not being in any kind of relationship long or short. They should be climbing tress, skateboarding, having sleepover/movie/gossip night with their friends, making up excuses for not doing their homework...just being kids.

There is just so much time to stress and create drama with relationships later on in life I think kids should avoid it for as long as possible to fully mature and come into their own so they can form a sense of who they are as an individual.

• I strongly disagree with the inference that adolescence should be a continuation of childhood

• Mm, I see your points, it does make sense, but ehhh. I think its a lot more subjective than that, personally. I know people who are still clinging on to their childhood and I know people who moved away from that long ago, and everyone seems to be totally happy, you know? And I know people my exact age who are at a totally different end of life than I am, be it further on or far behind, and I like that. For me--

• adolescence was a time of gaining extreme knowledge, and a time of intense self-discovery and enlightenment. And like, I'd hate to waste that climbing trees, you know?

• I truly enjoy being in a long term relationship. My boyfriend and I have been going out for over a year, and I know he will always be there for me and someone I can trust:)

i see your point though, but I do thing its everyones own thing. Some people want to experiment and not be tied down and hey, more power to them. But I quite enjoy being in a long relationship. Some adults can't handle them, so I don't think it really deals with age, in a sense.

• adults can handle them. they just choose not to

• delusional*

• I'm done arguing because I know I'm right:)

• I have to agree with you. From personal experience it really is not worth dating in a long term way until you are at least 18. I had a boyfriend when I was 15-16 and it last almost a year when we broke up it totally took me down. Now I realizerhere was no way I was emotionally ready to be Hirt like that because relationships at that age rarely last. I would recommend if you are dating that young don't just revolve your life around the person it's not worth it in the long run.

What Guys Said 3

• I think so. It depends on the person, doesn't it? A lot of people aren't ready, and as such, can't hold down a relationship at that age. Some people have gained all that wisdom at a younger time and can deal with it, or don't want other things that would contradict it. So they can go for it.

I don't think you choose it, really, though. Just whenever it happens, it happens, and for however long.

• A "sandpit" love doesn`t develop you, you should get experiences. So you have to change your partners in young years.

• theres nothing wrong with it, but its like when your married young your gonna break up

• they say the younger you marry, the more likely you are to divorce

• thats the point I was trying to make, but where do you think most of the divorce rate is from now a days