How much dating experience is needed before getting engaged?

I got engaged before going to college, and although I generally like who I'm with, I wonder if waiting until I had met and dated more guys would have been better. Do you guys think you should settle down with a person no matter your age, or do you think you should have more experience first?

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like having more experience is better, because you never want to feel like you didn't give yourself enough opportunity to learn about yourself and who you are/want to be.

I'm not saying that it's not important to seize the moment and jump in when it feels right, but by dating more and having that added experience, you get a better idea of what "RIGHT" is for you.

Just remember, you're your own independent person with all the options and freedom in the world. All the best. :)

What Guys Said 5

• I don't think it's really about experience. If you honestly think that you've found someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with, go for it.

• You should settle down when you can't imagine life without them.

• We'll, experiences are definitely needed as a person with ample dating experiences may give you more sense of security or at least he/she can please you..

• When you two feel your ready.

• depends... i don't think any is really needed.

What Girls Said 3

• Experience is all relative. If you feel you've had enough experience to know what you need and what you want, then you should be able to trust yourself. But if you still have that little voice in the back of your head that says "I'm not sure if this is what I want," you won't be able to rest until it's quieted. I had to make some really dumb decisions (even some that I KNEW were dumb at the time) because I was stubborn and had to take every opportunity, before I could rest knowing that I had chosen the right person. And it caused me a lot of grief, but I also know I probably wouldn't be so secure in my relationship now if I hadn't done that. Everyone's needs are different. Sometimes you meet someone and you just know it's right. But if you feel a little doubt, maybe you should listen to it. Do what you feel is best.

• My dad always told me that if your nervous on your wedding day, then your not ready

• Experience teaches you right and wrong but do not end a relationship where you have goals in common and mutual respect to get more experience. Most dates do not lead to marriage. If you are certain you have met someone you can envision a life with don't end it. Maybe wait longer to get engaged if anything.