Girls, should a guy pay for you in a date?

I was on a date last night and my date had the audacity to tell me to pay for her dinner. I told her that she should pay her dinner and that I should pay for my dinner. She got mad and obviously we will never see each other again. Why do guys have to pay for a woman's date? Women work too; they should pay their part of the date.

Most Helpful Girl

• If it was a first date, and you asked her on it, you should've paid. I wouldn't have told you to pay for my dinner, I probably would've even offered to split it. But if you didn't cover it on a first date that you asked me on, I wouldn't have gone out with you again. You'd seem cheap and like you didn't care at all about being a gentleman or impressing me. Might be unfair, but there are lots of things that are unfair in the dating game (slut vs. stud complex anyone?) Women are equals now, like you say, but society still won't allow us to sleep around like a man can. Sure we can do it if we want to, just like you can refuse to pay for a date if you want to, but those women who sleep around a ton are going to have a hard time getting a boyfriend. Just like with your way of doing things, you'll have a hard time getting a girlfriend, or even a second date.

I've been on plenty of first dates and I've never had a guy not pay the whole thing. So with that amount of men willing to be gentleman on a first date, especially when they're the ones doing the asking, I wouldn't waste my time on the few who aren't willing. Besides, I think if my father ever found out a guy made me split on the first date, he'd never let me go on a second with him (even though I'm out of the house haha).

What Girls Said 9

• Well it's good that you didn't do the whole ''oh,I'll pay'' routine,that would set her expectations,she'd want you to pay for everything in the future. At least you got rid of the gold-digging slut on the first date,it's harder to say 'no' in a longer relationship.i think everyone should pay for their own meal.

• That's really really rude of her. She either has high expectations or lives in a fantasy world where everything is done for her. It's good that the issue came out then, instead of down the line where you could have been emotionally invested.

But yeah, I agree. Split the bill. Unless he offers. But the girl should offer sometimes too. It's just a nice thing that the girl or the guy can do.

• I'm with you, 50/50 is fair. :) Of course, if the guy offered, I wouldn't turn it down, but otherwise, I would always pay.

• I offer every single time. And what I'm most comfortable with is if he insists on paying for dinner I insist on paying for dessert, and take him to get some ice cream or something.

• you should try being the one who insists to pay for dinner and tell him he can buy some ice creams later for desert.

• but the guy always asks the girl.

• tell that to the guys I asked out.

• Men and women are equal on this paying bill thing. Agree.

Just, if it was your first date, and you asked her out, she'd have expected you to be a gentleman.

• wait, so your saying I should pay on the first date?

• Yea, just a being gallant. It doesn't mean she can't afford her meal or sth. That's just what women expect you to do on the first day.

• I offer every time, but I've never paid for a dinner.

• Is it a 1st date? If that the case the receipt should be split, at least that's my rule. Unless of course the gut insists like there's no tomorrow. ^_^

• Finally a girl with some damn reason. It's absurd to EXPECT a guy to pay on the first date. With that said though... I would never make the woman pay.

• Well, I agree with u..unless you told her you were gona take her out and treat her then I don't know y she believed that you should've DEFINITELY paid 4 her diner. 2 answer your question, "girls should a guy pay 4 you in a date?" I'd say no, he doesn't HAVE to, if he suggest that's fine, but I don't c the big deal with paying 4 your own fod.

• i always offer to go dutch. you aren't obligated to pay, but sometimes, the gesture means a lot :)

What Guys Said 2

• Generally, whoever does the asking out should pay, as it is terribly impolite to impose upon someone and ask them to take you out to dinner (close relationships excluded of course). That being said, were I to be in that situation, the date would have ended then and there, even if I fully intended to pay for her dinner. I would have walked out, and left her money for the meal and cab fair.

• I always believe in mutual benefit so people should help each other out in all things including dates. If the girl didn't have money to pay for that meal I would cover her and I would hope vice versa. Trust goes a long way.