• Ask
  • myTake

Calling my boyfriend "dear"?

is something that most guys would mind? if their girlfriend called them dear when she was texting them? because I say that to my boyfriend. for example, if I were saying goodnight to him I would say, "goodnight dear, I love you". is that something that guys like being called? I'm only asking because my ex boyfriend hated it when I called him "hun" or "honey" when I texted him, he said it sounded to girlie for me to call him that..

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Those terms of endearment are a bit too much for a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship that isn't that serious yet.Cutie, stud, handsome are more acceptable names which will please the ears.

• what makes you think that the relationship isn't serious yet?

• Show Older
    • not what I meant by that. when I called him "hun" he didn't like it because it made him feel like a girl. he said that was a pet name that should only be used for girls from a boy, and not the other way around.

• Something I forgot to mention. Terms of endearment depend completely on whomever you are in a relationship with.I didn't mind getting called "honey" or "baby" by a close friend I dated. But I know some of her ex boyfriends who were put off by it. Depends on their personality and character.Look on the brightside, at least your ex told you how he felt about it instead of staying silent and hating it. :D

What Guys Said 4

• I don't see a problem with any of those nicknames. They're terms of endearment that girls and guys both use for each other. Your ex is a moron and should be your EX

• he's an idiot, but hey you guys might be really young, don't worry dear, just say what you feel like and hopefully he's not too serious about what he saidand if it makes you feel better you can call me hun

• what does it mean if a girl that I'm not dating does this with me?

What Girls Said 3

• I like to use terms of endearment for guys that I date, but I make them seem less serious. Of course things like babe/baby are nice, but I may say "deary" instead of dear, or "m'dear" instead of my dear.Its still cute, its my personality to say it, so it doesn't seem weird to say it.

• Haha, my boyfriend and I have always thought pet names are cheesy, so we jokingly started calling each other "sugarbutt" (him) and "honeyt*ts" (me). But then it ended up being shortened to "sugar" and "honey" and now we actually like it. XD It's corny, but I can't help it. Anyway, I don't think many guys would complain.

• i was dating a guy and had to dump him because I couldn't stand that he called me dear. it killed me lol.totally intolerable- its only for grandparents to use.how about babe or hun?!?!?!

• Definitely seems a little old-fashioned.