Indian guys: Can you only date girls that are Indian?

I used to date this boy, he was Indian (as in his family is from India, not Native American). After about a month, he suddenly broke up with me. When I asked him, he said that it was because of his culture and that if his family found out that they would disown him. When he explained I totally understood and we agreed to stay friends. We've been broken up a while and have both moved on, but he is dating another girl that is not Indian. I'm starting to wonder if he was lying to me when he said it was his culture, but I hardly know anything about Indian culture. Anyone know anything about this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I am part Indian and some families are very traditional and quite strict while some are a lot more open-minded. From the sound of it though, if he's currently dating someone who isn't Indian, it was most likely just an excuse to break up and get with another chick. Unless she's aware that he ultimately won't end up with her and is okay with just casual dating and hooking up. In which case it isn't common for Indian guys to do this until they settle down with an Indian girl whether by their own choice or by their parents. Hope that made sense

What Guys Said 9

• i dont understand when you said you were dating, whats there to break up with?
    Something what you said or what you did might have made up his mind to take a turn and break up with you and thus he cooked up the old-fashioned reason we give up to whatsoever race/culture the girl belong to.

Just my little piece of advice- Don't even stay connected with someone whom you broke up with but has shared a relationship or thought of doing so. He decided break up with you for some reason which is not rectifiable. you would still have feelings for him even though you guys title the relation as 'friends'. ofcourse he was lying and he does not deserve you, take it easy and move on, there are a lot of hot indians out there ;)

• It does totally depend on their family. Some are very liberal and don't care, others are super strict on only having their kid marrying a girl from the same caste, who can trace her ancestors to the same village, etc...

Generally though things do tend to be easier for men than women.

• totally agree with you..but I think he wanted to break up with the girl so this was his excuse.

• I am Indian and it really depends on how closely he follows his culture and if he is tradition or not, personally I would love to date a white girl and also I think my parents would accept it because they know at the end of the day growing up in north america is a big influence and they know its what I want for myself in the future

• 3 things You can do right now -
    1. cry cry and cry on your luck.
    2. Be positive and Meet New guys.
    3. Gut up , go to that Indian guy, Slap him hard on his face and tell Him that after breaking up on the Indian culture issue, why the hell you again dating a white girl? you are cheating with this girl and gonna break up with her like a loser after month or 2. Im Indian myself, and i honestly think that indian Fella needs some piece of mind from You.
    )- sorry for my bad Grammar )

• okkk...am BANGLADESHI...near INDIA..no we dnt...he lied...because playedwith you probably...may be...love doesn't concern with racism...or culture...

• Not Really..

• Indian guys really love white women but most of the time it is white women that don't wanna date indian guys and the reason is obvious- CULTURE

• Also indian guys wanna bang many white chix and hence he may have lied to you.

• dumb ass indian dudes... brown girls is where its at

• this is just excuse to break up!!! as indian ll find some story without hurting u...

• Until about 8 years ago, even the concept of dating was alien to Indians. There was no such thing as pre-marital relations or sex, and it was taboo to even talk of such to anyone.
    Over the next 3 years, Indians in western countries slowly started dating within their own community - like actually, openly declaring that they are dating, and not just secretly going out as "friends". They were now holding hands and kissing.
    Over the past 5 years, the trend has shifted from Indians dating Indians to Indians preferring to date whites.
    Parents are now fully aware and gradually coming to terms with intercaste, interlinguistic, interracial dating.

What Girls Said 5

• There culture is VERY different from ours. I'm a white girl and considered myself to be very striking and quite a catch, have a master's degree, good job, good family background, good sense of humor and very loyal. I met an Indian guy who was actually born in the US but his family was originally from India. I was smitten with him, he was so attractive and had the best personality. He was very Americanized, obsessed with football, good food, and partying. I met his parents about 6 months into the relationship (they lived in a different state). That was when it hit me, this guy who I thought who was as American as I was, was from this WEIRD family. His parents had an arranged marriage. His dad basically grilled me like it was an interview over dinner ("What religion are you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years, why do you want to date my son?"). His mom barely lifted her eyes from the table, they were not loving or hugging towards their son. Such a different background than me, my parents were high school sweethearts and we always show affection in my family. I was like, excuse me, I'm a gorgeous, smart, blonde, your son should be lucky to have me. After that I was like "WTF" to my boyfriend and he just kept apologizing and saying how he still loved me. I considered myself very open minded, although he believed in God his parents were Hindu and I'm Christian. I did not consider that an issue because I love learning about new religions and thought Hinduism was very interesting. I loved the food, I loved wearing Saris to Indian weddings, but his family... uugh, they were just too much. I knew if we got married and had kids, his family would have been to overbearing. You have to be careful with intercultural dating.

• P. S. I find it extremely hypocritical for an Indian family to move to the United States for a "better life" but are appalled when their children start to date American people. If your country and nationality are so great, go back to it. If my parents raised me in Africa then freaked out when I dated a black man, I think that would be ridiculous. Don't understand it.

• I'm sorry that you had that experience. Like your boyfriend, I am of Indian-American descent, though I'm christian (rare, I know). I wouldn't let that experience tarnish your opinion of us, someone of us don't care shit about what our parents think about who we date and have stemmed any influence that they've had on us. You do sound like an incredible girl and you should remind your boy friend of self-determination and tell him to stop caring about what his parents think.

• ok like their is no white father that would dread having his son or daughter bring a indian or black dude home... black dudes have been in the states for hundreds of years yet they wouldn't except them dating their daughters till this day... white people r so ignorant y'all think u can do whatever n everyone will except what u do.. u can b prejudice buh no one else can... hell no u white u the best u the aryan race should b wanted by everyone... dont care how hot u r... if i had to choose between a nekkid angelina jolie ready for me n jus a date goin no where wit aishwarya rai... i would take aishwarya witout a doubt... u brown mans shud b ashamed

• I'm Asian but it depends on their family, culture, values on life, etc. I think if he liked you so much, he wouldn't choose his family views than you. I think, my parents would just have to face facts if I liked someone out of my religion or culture and if they didn't like it, tough! Lol, what religion is he?

• He's Christian, I'm Roman Catholic, so it's not a question of religion. We are both attending the same Christian University next semester. I'm just starting to think that he didn't think that I was worth standing up to his family because his new girlfriend is exactly like me (only much less attractive), so I'm honestly just really confused about it.

• Then why bother? I know it seems hard, but he sounds like a d***head! You more attractive than her, then that's good, just flaunt it in his face, p*ss him off that your not hung up on him! (: Goodluck.

• I agree, if I fell in love with a girl that wasn't indian, id do anything to be with her

• I seriously think he is very much lying to break up with you so he can move on to another girl (white?)

• Im Indian and i believe the answer is no... Not all Indian guys date or marry only Indian girls neither do girls but mostly its the parents (honestly i don't give a f*uck about what my parents think of who i date or marry) cuz its time they should think about what we want and not what they want....JUST putting it out there =P

• i know some who can't because of their culture and what their family believes in