Would you date someone who had a different religion then you?

I'm a pretty big atheist and no way I could date a christian. But I'm wondering if this sort of thing is common or not for people of all beliefs, what do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm agnostic, and I've dated two atheists and two Catholics. In neither case was religion an issue at all for me - I sometimes wish I was religious myself, but I've just never had an experience that convinced me anything was out there.

What I think matters more is what the person does with religion and how they let it guide (or not guide) their life. If what they take away from religion is a desire to be a good person and be involved with their family and community, then great, I'm all for it. However, if they feel the need to jump down people's throats about converting or use their religion as an excuse to control and put down other people, then we have a problem.

What Girls Said 7

• I'm atheist, and I don't think I could date someone that was religious.

• Yea, it would be far too hard for me to deal with, specially if they were church goers, soon as they asked me to go that'd be it.

• Oops, responded to the wrong comment with my last one there, oh well, if it didn't make much sense sorry :D

• I figured. ;)

• Absolutely, so long as they respect my beliefs, I'll respect theirs.

• Even if they Scientologists? I mean seriously, who can respect those people?

• so long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me I don't really care...I mean if they go and give all their worldly possessions to the church, I might have something to say about it...

• Gotcha, so far it looks like a mixed bag of responses which is pretty much what I expected.

• Yes, but I don't believe I would let it lead to marriage, because raising a child with differant believes doesn't end well.

• Maybe if both are very "whateverish" about their religion then maybe it could work. For instance my mom is a just in case christian, doesn't go to church, my dad is an atheist but really they never talked about religion much when I grew up.

• I'm not saying in all cercumstances that it wouldn't work, and I'm glad it worked out for your parents. I feel really strongly about my beliefs and I just don't feel like it would work for me.

• I know and I agree with you. These kinds of beliefs are very important for people and aren't easily side stepped.

• I'm atheist dating a Christian. We pretty much have the same morals and all that.

• I would as long as they respect my beliefs and don't force theirs on me. But I don't really know if it could lead to a long term, it's pretty difficult.

• It would be. You'd think at a certain point with children it would get even more difficult. I wonder how many relationships ended because of that.

• Indeed, principles and values are very different. But it depends on how strongly they feel about their beliefs.

• Well I'm jewish.

As long as they don't have a problem I don't ether because I'm really laid back.

• i would. but as long as they don't force their beliefs on me

• Yea, I could perhaps make an exception if they weren't all holier then thou on me.

What Guys Said 7

• I really have no value on religion, I guess I'm atheist but then I'm not so atheist that I wouldn't marry someone who is religious. If they want me to convert I will for them but I wouldn't truly believe any of their beliefs. If she wants to have her kids grow up to believe in her religion then it's fine with me.

• No way I could keep a lie that big going for very long.

• Well you said you'd convert but not believe any of it, what would be the point then, especially if you're just going to tell her you don't believe anyway?

• If she wanted me to then I would to make her happy.

Having me convert doesn't really change my view it's just a title I guess that has no importance to me.

• I would, even though I think religion is a bunch of bullsh*t. I consider myself a monotheist, not associated with any religion.

• I'm an atheist too and I would date a girl who is religious. I don't know if it would be any of the abrahamic religions like Christianity, Islam, or Judaism because I would be okay with their religion but I don't think they would be okay with me not believing in God or scripture. I would be instantly more comfortable dating somebody who is buddhist or something like that because they are more philosophical than belief in a diety and heaven and hell.

• Yea, buddhist or even a pagan sometimes, mostly cause I know they're kinky in bed and that can trump supersticioun for at least a little while.

• very true!

• Nope. No religious types for me. No Republicans, either.

• I have and would again, so long as they're not bigots or trying to convert me.

• Yea, luckily a lot of people who claim to be religious aren't so religious as to take their religion literally and think it's good to try to convert everyone who crosses their path.

• I could as long they don't try and force their views on me

• What if they didn't force it on you but they talked about it quite often? Or maybe there's an amount of talking where it becomes too much?

• I would try and explain to them that we have to accept each others different views and move on from that topic otherwise we would have to reconsider the relationship

• If they respect mine.