Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver - would you date someone with different political views?

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver are now divorcing, but were married for many years. Arnold is a Republican governor, Maria a member of a well-known family of Democrats (the Kennedys). I don't think I could date someone who has different political beliefs, much less marry. Could you?

Most Helpful Guy

• I could, but I think it's a little different here. In the United States, there seems to be a very big divide when it comes to politics. Many people seem to be absolute in their support of a given party, no matter what. Here in Canada, however, we don't tend to hold as much, or as blatant loyalty to a given party. Who you voted for last election has almost zero impact on who you'll vote for in the next one. Because of that difference, it wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue for two people of differing political views to be together up here.

What Guys Said 18

• i could totally. but they would have to be like me. and when I say like me, I mean they are mature enough to understand that we don't all agree on everything. I mean I have my beliefs, sure, but there's really no right answer to anything. if two people can agree to disagree, then that's fantastic. however if you try to force your will on someone else just because they don't have the same beliefs, instead of just accepting the fact that you two have different solutions to the same problem, then, well, that's a problem.

• i don't think I could...so many of the opposing side's views are two immoral in my opinion. like not letting homosexuals get married? wtf, that's just selfish

• If her views were superficially different then maybe I could make it work but if her views are the polar opposite of mine then we're not going to get along.

• That would only be a problem in case of blind political faith / closed-minded people.

Smart people who have different views for different legitimate reasons, well thought out, can speak intelligently to them rather than have fights that go around in circles around the same dogmatic slogans and talking points which politicians prepare for the masses.

• I once dated a girl with very different political views from mine. There were a few issues that we were both passionate about that kept causing fights but for the most part it wasn't too big a problem. James Carville and Mary Matalin have been married for over 17 years. Carville attributes their success to letting his wife win all of the fights.

• Probably not. If she was super conservative I couldn't do that. The only way it would work is if both sides were flexible. I don't even consider myself very political but someone that idolizes George W. Bush would never work.

• I married someone who was A political at first. Then when pressed she told me she was a Republican but didn't really pay attention to that stuff, in fact she never voted prior to us meeting. I voted religiously. I finally got her to register, she chose R, and she would vote the opposite of me, errrr. Just to cancel out my vote.

It was GW who finally got her to pay attention and realize this sh*t matters, she voted for Obama last election. She loves to watch Rachael Madow on TV, and even listen to Randi Rhoades, still considers herself a Republican I think she very quite about it now. Aside from that day to day stuff, great wife, person, everything! Wonderful I'm lucky to know her let alone be married to here

• I think I could, actually. A girl's political beliefs wouldn't stop me from wanting her if I really like her. Plus that would mean that at least one of us would always have the president we want in the house! LOL

Follow me on Twitter @riodejaneirofun

• It doesn't matter to me if they don't really talk about it, for a second there I thought that 8 comments from each girl actually looked like a 0 to me xD! damn having a one eye is kinda cool!

• I don' think so. What if she she gets pregnant and she is pro-life? I am screwed!

• I don't let politics get brought up with me. I don't give a hoot about any of that stuff. If my girlfriend was a republican, at least she's rich!

• I would never date a politician.

• For me to date/marry a girl, I would be up-front that all religious and political views are banned from the house. It stirs not just arguments, but it also causes tension and stress.

• I'm conservative and the majority of people in California are liberal.

I make it work.

• I would love to marry someone with differerent political views! The best thing is to f*** the enemy :DDD

• No. Public policy is too important to me.

• The on urging republican about Arnold is the R after his name. He is a RINO. I would not want to be with someone different than me. They want to allow immoral disgusting things,

• Are you making out with his/her democracy?

Politics has NOTHING to do with love..

And schwarzenegger is by no means an example to base anything on. He was an actor also.

I have had dinner several times with james carville and his wife..

They could not have more opposite political views and they make it work extremely well

What Girls Said 8

• No. My political views are much more to me than just who I vote for in an election. They're representative of my values and beliefs, and I wouldn't be attracted to someone who had significantly different values and beliefs.

• Policy is EXTREMELY important to me. I'm way too involved and enthralled to ever successfully be with someone who doesn't share some of political views. I'm a political scientist, after all :P

Dating is fine, but it would probably never get past that.

I would love to say that I can look beyond that, but lets face it, I can't.

• Just out of curiosity, would you knowingly date someone who has opposing politcal view point from you? I sometimes get confused when people say dating but not sure which stage of dating they refer to. I know you mean definitely not the part where a serious relationship starts.

• Probably not because that generally means I would go in knowing we wouldn't click. I've made exceptions before, and I probably still would, but chances are it just wouldn't work out. My political views and values are a very big part of me, and I obviously can't share that with someone who couldn't appreciate it, I would rather give myself fully.

By dating I mean hang out for a while, flirt on occasional, but it's normally through dating that I find out his political views.

• My roommate has different political views than me. We get along really well.

The biggest reason not to marry someone with different political views would be if they weren't willing to understand and compromise with other peoples perspectives to make things work. And a relationship will never work if the two parties can't compromise. This applies broadly to everything in a relationship, not just political views.

Hmm...maybe the idiots in Washington could learn a thing or two based on successful marital relationships...

• I agree. I was amazed that they were together in the first place. I remember hearing about these scientists that did brain scans on Republicans and Democrats and found that different areas of the brain lit up based on which party the individual belonged to. So basically politics goes below the surface. It would be difficult being with someone and knowing a huge fight might start anytime you discussed politics. Alternatively, if you wanted to avoid conflict and not discuss it, then you'd be making certain topics forbidden between you and your significant other. I wouldn't want that...I'd want to be able to discuss anything I wanted with him freely and openly...that's what I think a healthy marriage should be.

• I wouldn't mind the difference in political standpoints, but only if my partner could live without fighting about it all the time. If he always brought politics into everything and couldn't agree to disagree, then we would have problems. These problems could be solvable, but most likely not because if a man has not yet learned how to agree to disagree then there are most likely other simple lessons he has yet to learn. And I am not here to be anyone's mom.

• I would consider myself quite political but then I have different views on certain things so it would depend how politically different they where.

• no I couldn't. that would mean he didn't have the same values I have and that is important

• no it wudnt matter as long as there is mutual respect