What defines a hangout or date? Guys, Girls....

So let me get this straight:

dinner and a movie after 6pm is considered a date.

Lunch, coffee, ice cream and any movie before 4 can be considered as a casual hang out..even if you're only with him...

Right?

Most Helpful Guy

• There really isn't any set definitions. I mean, I'm going to the city for dinner reservations at 6, and a comedy show at 8 with my female friend. We aren't dating, nor do I have any indication she sees it as a date. Of course, I could be completely wrong on this one and she may see it as such for all I know. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Point it, whether it's a date or not is a matter of perception. I find the easiest way to convey to the other person I want it to be a date is by using the word. If I say "Hey, I'd like to go out on a date with you sometime" or something of that nature, I've made my intentions clear. Mainly because in this day and age, there isn't any set rules.

What Guys Said 4

• Rule of thumb and not to be taken seriously. Generally, if it's at night, it could be considered a date but I often go out with my platonic female friends until 2am and it's definitely not considered a date. You would have to look at other elements to assess correctly.

• A date is a social construct. It is a date if you perceive it to be. There is no universal definition or set list of criteria.

• A date is more serious, more planned, and always happens between a girl and guy who like each other. Hanging out is more casual and can happen between any two people.

• A date is a strings attached kind of thing.

What Girls Said 0