Girly girl or tomboy?

In order to fit the role of the girlie girl, you wear make-up, skirts, low cut tops, dresses, and heels.

In order to fit the role of the tomboy, you put on nothing or lip gloss/chapstick, jeans, sweats, t-shirts, tank tops, and sneakers.

Girls: Which one are you? How do you feel? Do you do it for yourself, because you were conditioned by society, or because you get noticed more or less? Did you ever switch?

Boys: Which one do you prefer, picture being friends with, dating, marrying? Which one do you think is the most loyal?

• Girly girl
  • Tomboy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm definitely a mix. I don't wear high heels and for the most part if/when I do wear makeup it's usually just eyeliner and mascara. I do wear dresses, but that's mostly because they are super comfortable! seriously, dresses are way better than jeans. I guess I dress on the girlier side, but my activities are a little more tomboyish. I'm generally the one who wants to hang out with the guys and do w/e they are doing. Sometimes I wish I was more of a tomboy, but... then sometimes I wish I was more of a girly-girl. I hate wearing high heels. HATE it. They suck, they hurt and I'd much rather wear something more practical like flip-flops... anyways haha.

• Nice, my best friend wears dresses. I've hardly seen her in jeans! In the wintertime she will wear a dress with leggings, and she pulls it off well. When it's hot, it makes sense to wear dresses 'cause you don't trapped in jeans. I'm more tomboy, but I've bought dresses to hold them off for special occassions like a birthday, wedding, holiday, date. I want my dress to be seen =) One is light blue and is tight on the top, but loose from the hip to the knee. It reminds me of Dorothy from Oz lol.

• Yes, she's very girly. I happen to have more girlie friends probably to balance me out lol. I love her because of her fashion sense, but one time she got too dressed up, wore heels when we were going to walk a lot, and her feet were killing her. I can't lie, though, 'cause I wore heels to walk my dog once just to see how it felt, and it hurt lol. I told my girls the story and they laughed. I rather wear flats. Guys are like shoes, the pretty ones hurt. The not so pretty are comfortable =)

• haha aw I love that! so true! heels are lame. haha.

What Guys Said 9

• Look at it this way...

All men, from young age, are conditioned to want to treat life as an adventure, which I think is kind of funny because it's totally contradictory to what women are conditioned to want. Our idols as children aren't husbands or realistic figures, but fictional characters who were forced to put their personal lives on hold to embark upon an epic quest of self discovery and daring do. Some men want to go alone, or with a male friend they can see as a brother-type accompanying them on their adventure, while their woman stays at home tending to house duties loyally awaiting her man's return. Others, however, want a woman who is able to come along herself and is tough enough to take care of herself, and can become a partner in his adventure. Is this a realistic scenario? No, but I think it has a lot to do with what we grow to want from women.

Personally, I'm the second kind. I'd rather have a girl who's tough enough to be able to accompany me on whatever adventure life throws my way without getting in the way or slowing me down and can watch my back. A girlie girl type who needs a man to carry her through life, I believe, wouldn't be capable.

• Wow, that's a very interesting way to put it. It's true some guys tend to ride solo or with a best friend and have no problem leaving their girl behind while they run wild and free. Other guys like the closeness of a girl and is willing to take her along. <-- My type of guy.

• wow, this is an amazing way of putting it. I believe you are 100 percent correct.

• Thank you for your comment. =)

• I like a mix of both. Depends on my mood. I love the rough attitude of tomboys. They don't give a f*ck what they look like on the outside. But they take care of themselves grooming wise and then. Also, the tomboy's I've been with are usually more sexual it seems. Also they don't care about having naughty, sensual, sex because they don't care about getting messy or messing up their hair, or what they look like during. They are just into the moment and are so sensual. Some pretty girls are like that too, but it's more rare.

• Interesting analysis. So tomboys want to have sex, and girlie girls want to make love. It makes sense.

• Hmmm I semmt o have come across the wrong way with my comment. Making love doesn't necessarily you're not getting messy or that you care about how you look during sex. Also, just having sex can be (for lack of a better term) clean and reserved. Looks has nothing to do with how you make love or how you have sex. How much you care for the person as well as the relationship you have with the person is what dictates just banging or making love. Sorry if I said my com. in a confusing manner.

• Oh OK, I got it.

• I prefer a tomboy, if she looks good she looks good lol, plus I always imagined a girl wearing the same thing as me but smaller lol :P ... I could be friends with both but tomboys are usually more fun, and they don't have to worry about losing a purse or hand bag...

• IN between.

• Tomboys are so much more fun to hang out with, but I kinda like the girl who's a bit of both. The girl who's got a very sweet playful innocent girlie side, but doesn't wear make up, enjoys fun things like games and playing sports (screw watching them or whatnot, why bother caring about someone else's playing?) and has similar interests in sciences and whatnot.

So ya, mix please, but leaning more toward Tomboy.

• True, there has to be balance. The girlie girls with no attitude are nice to be around. Lol, I know right. I love video games, but my ex didn't bother to invite me to play with him or his friends. Oh well, his loss. Good choice ;)

• you just described me!hahah..

• Fun, too bad I can't seem to ever find a girl :\

• I like girly-girls a lot, but mainly as friends. Tomboys are just so much fun to be with, though, so I'd definitely prefer that. =) As for loyalty, well that depends on the kind of person really, both girly-girls and tomboys can be loyal/disloyal.

• Giry girls can be a bit high maintenance while tomboys are just chill. That's true, loyalty depends on the person. Was checking if someone would catch that lol.

• Tomboy, I don't want some silly daffodil who can't take care of herself. If she competes in a tough sport then that's all the better.

• How about a mix of both? But if I had to choose tomboy or girlie girl, I would pick the girlie girl.

• i dont' like either that much, but if I had to choose, girlie girl.

they can be pretty cute.

What Girls Said 19

• I guess I'm a girlie girl - but er, I'm not really into low cut tops; but apart from that, I fit your description of a girlie girl. I just like to feel feminine, I mean, when I'm painting I'll just stick on an over sized shirt and pull my hair back - but if I'm actually you know, going to see people - I'm skirts, dresses, heels, make-up my hair done a bit.

I mean, I don't spend all that long on my appearance, but yeah.

I just don't really like the way jeans and sweats look on me. I look better in skirts, and I feel more comfortable that way to. And it's no more effort. I just like to feel like I look good - not to get noticed by people - but just so I feel more confident about myself.

If I walk out the door thinking I look good, then I'm not going to be worrying every five minutes what people think. If I walk out the door having put no effort in I'm very conscious of it. I guess because I'm quite a self conscious person anyway.

• OoOh good to know. I just realized that it also depends where you live or climate you're in. Me having to endure long and winters, I don't want to put a skirt on but if it was summertime, sure. That's true, looking good for yourself does boost your self-esteem a bit. That's why when we girls go get our nails and hair done, we feel great and relaxed.

• I don't know what I am. Somewhere in between I guess, like most people. I usually wear jeans and a t -shirt. I have never understood lip gloss but I wear eye liner and mascara every day. I like to dress up occasionally but I feel more comfortable in jeans and a nice top. I own high heels but I seldom wear them and usually go for trainers. Sometimes it can be nice to be more "girlie" but it is hard work and it is easier to go with a more laid back "tomboy-ish" style.

• Lipgloss is so my lips don't get chapped. Some are stickier than us, sure, you just have to find the right one. I like the way the lips gleam. Eyeliner, yes! How did I forget, but I don't wear it that often...only when my eyes look dead or tired, I'll add black or blue eyeliner. Me too, I have a bunch of high heels but do I wear them? No, only once a month if not every two months. They're in my closet collecting dust lol. Exactly. Girly girls take a lot of work. I would be late to work!

• i'm a mix,looks and personality wise,like I can watch chick flicks and love them,but I can also watch dragon ball,pokemon and play video games for hours.looks wise I'm naturally very girlie looking,skinny,but hourglass shape,soft skin,young/sensitive looking face so I don't need a lot to look girly,but I have short hair,and dress boyish most of the time cause I like looking the way I feel,a mix of girlie and boyish

• Nice, yeah I like chick flicks but I'm also into the action movies and video games =)

• Monday at school I'll wear a cute sun dress with not that much makeup and not even do my hair. Tuesday a t shirt, hoodie and some sweats and barely any makeup and throw my hair up in a bun. Wednesday I'll wear a dress that makes me look like a barbie and I'll take a full 30 minutes to curl my hair and everything with quite a bit of makeup. Thursday I'll wear a skirt and a cute shirt with just blush and mascara and my hair natural. then Friday I'll wear jeans and a t shirt and barely any make up.

I really like to mix things up. I don't wear stuff because everyone else thinks it looks good. I dress in the clothes that I like. I guess I'm both.

• Oh wow, that sounds like fun. I like how you change it up. I like to change my look at first like when starting school, but then I get lazy. I'm more tomboy than anything, and on special occassions like to a holiday party or wedding, I'll dress up. Not even on a date I'll dress up unless it's someone I've been wanting to take me out for awhile.

• haha I am the same way. at the beginning of the year I made sure my hair was done and my clothes were really girlie and I couldn't leave the house without make up. but now I could go to school wearing the clothes I slept in. I can't dress up every single day. it's hard to choose what to wear and when I'm bloated there's no way in heck I'm gonna wear anything but a t shirt and sweats.

• Lol, you're too much. That's how I walk outside; with the same shirt I slept in. No one knows...except now lol. Yeah, the time of the month is a pain. I don't want to do anything, go anywhere but curl up in bed and sleep. I'll still dress up to put myself in a better mood, but you'll see it in my face as I'm rubbing my belly =\

• I am undoubtedly, without a question, a girlie girl.

I was a tomboy for most of my life because I thought a 'girl like me' would never be accepted for what I was otherwise, but I realize how wrong I was. I can be smart, funny, play video games, and build computers in a dress whenever I damn well feel like it ;)

• Lol, good point! You can do "manly" things even by looking cute. That's cool. I was a tomboy until I was 13, and had completely outgrown it when I was 19 'cause I used to hit the clubs with dresses on because my girlie girl friend got me into it. Also, for almost two years I dressed so nicely for my ex than me, and was fishing for a compliment from him. I became upset when I didn't get one. Then I realized that maybe I miss not caring what people thought, and I want to go back to my old ways.

• I'm in between. I wear some makeup, heels, skirts, and dresses, but I mix that with jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers.

I used to be full out tomboy for all of high school. I never wore makeup and heels and skirts were completely foreign to me.

When I got to college I started dressing full out girlie girl because I was tired of being a tomboy. However, I discovered that being a girlie girl didn't suit me, either, so I decided to mix the two styles together.

Now I have a kind of indie girl style going on, and I love it.

• Nice. I went through that, too. I was a tomboy and then girlie girl, then girlie girl mixed with tomboy, but now I want to revert back just to be in tune with myself. I was passive-agressive and now learning to be assertive. It's hard to be tough when you're all glammed up; so I'm thinking of going back to the tomboy days =)

• I personally like being a girlie girl more, just because you're girlie doens't mean you have to be slutty, and a tomboy can just be someone that like sports, doesn't dress as girlie but more or less they still act half girl ya know?

• I'm not really sure. Probably a mix of both, but leaning more on the girly-girl side.. errr, I'd rather call myself leaning more on being "feminine" than "girl-girl" actually. ^_^'

Okay, clothes.. I don't wear make up (since most people say I look better without it), I wear only lipgloss and a clear mascara. Skirts, heels, dresses, jeans - yes. Low-cut tops - no. T-shirts, tank tops - yes, but only at home. Sneakers - rarely.

Personality wise - hmm, I'd say a mixture again of both. I like videogames, watching basketball and other sports that guys like to watch. Sports? Well I can say I'm kinda sporty - I play badmintton and I enjoy darts, lol. I enjoy action films, but I like chick flicks too. Shopping? I enjoy it every once in a while but I'm not addicted to it and I only shop when I need to and have to. I'm strong yet vulnerable. Submissive but tough when it comes to certain situations.

How do I feel about it? Goood! Lol. Confident, and I like it. ;) I do it for myself and well.. actually when I go out and dress, I avoid anything loud and noticeable. Hell, I dislike attention, and I've had bad experiences about getting "noticed". Did I ever switch? Nah, like I said, I'm mix of both.

So, what do you think? xD

• Cool, I like how you got in depth with it. Darts = fun. I thought of pool. It's not easy, but when you get taught how to play (esp. by a guy you think is cute or you like), it's cool when you can compete against him; when you're seen as an equal! Shopping can become an addiction when you're doing it when you're sad and not watching your spending. I was a little addicted after a break-up. I wanted to look and feel good."I'm strong yet vulnerable." Nice, something I would say =)

• While I've sort of started getting into the slightly girlie look since being with my boyfriend, but for the most part and as long as I can remember, I've always been the jean/t-shirt type. Don't mind looking cute in the process, but I like throwing on jeans and t-shirts or in the summer, tank tops and jean shorts. :)

• Basically it's something I do for me, just because.

• Very cool. I, too, like to dress more girlie when I have a boyfriend. I want to show them my pretty side, but I get sad when it goes unnoticed 'cause I've been a tomboy for most of my life. So, to dress up makes me feel out of my element and time consuming. I used to be late on dates because I was worrying about fixing my hair.

• Pretty sure the large majority of girls fit into the gray area between those two. Myself included.

• Umm as far as I could remember I have been a girlie girl

I am californian so that probably helps alot.

I wear a lot of accesories and pink ! I love pink

I wear seldem makeup. Even though I love to wear it.

I chose to be a girlie girl , well actually its hard to explain like my first part of the answer I guess I was conditioned by society ha ha (:

I guess I feel extremely happy all the time so : happy (:

I do it for my self.

• Hi Californian, I'm a New Yorker. Yeah, girlie girls love their pink :-P I don't and do. It depends. When it's raining, I'll wear dull colors. When it's sunny, I'll wear a bit bright. Not too bright, though.

• I love ny lol.

Yah I'm pretty outrageous with my colors :P

• Personality-wise, I'm a tomboy, but otherwise, I'm in between.

I rarely wear dresses, skirts, or heels, but I don't waltz out the door in sweatpants and sneakers, either. I like feminine clothes that are actually comfortable (skinny jeans, flowy tops, etc.). I dress "girlier" than most of my girl friends, but that's not saying much, haha.

• That's cool. I like skinny jeans or leggings at times, but sometimes I don't want to bother to dress up so I'll walk out the house with the pjs if I have to lol.

• I'm right in between the two. With a touch of nerdiness. And, to answer your other questions, I do it for myself. Because that's just how I am. I don't really care if people think I'm weird for it, I guess. And I've never switched, because I've never wanted to. Although, when I was younger, I used to beat up boys all the time. I've stopped doing that now. haha.

• Thanks for the input. Beating up boys? Tough cookie. Uh oh, no guy should mess with you lol.

• isnt there an inbetween?Im a mix between girlygirl and tomboy actually haha. Its because I like to look good at school everyday, and I wear makeup and dressup, yet I sometimes wear sweatpants and a tshirt when I want to. I also run a lot and play sports. I feel great, I don't really do it to be "noticed by anyone", I do it for myself because I like to be both, look good while and being an athlete too.

• I'm in between...and girls who are either tend to be obnoxious

• All things girlie are wonderful. Pink, dresses, skirts, makeup...

• i'm a tomboy, I freaking hate makeup, skirts, dresses and heels. I love wearing my jeans, t-shirts and sneakers. I'm comfortable that way. its who I am and I love it, society wants me to be more girlie but I'm fine how I am.

and yet there are times where for the occasion the "girly" in me has to come out but when it does I hate it and so do my friends.

• i voted A

• i find it difficult to answer this question because I'm a little bit of both :)

i like to dressup put my heels and makeup on one day and wear jeans sneakers and a t shirt the next... it really depends on my mood lol

• It's cool, but yeah if you're feeling great, you want to dress up. If you're feeling mellow, dress down. I got you. Let's just say I've been feeling mellow for awhile lol unless I go out with my girls.