When You Get A Girl's Number, Is It Best To Call Or Text?

Just curious what you guys have done and if it works. And girls what is better for you. To me texting makes me less nervous lol. So I would think that it would be easier for a girl too. Also list your age.

• Better To Call
  • Better To Text
  • Either Is Fine

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 21 and I would rather a guy text me a few times before we talk on the phone. I think its awkward to talk on the phone to begin with, unless its one of my very close friends or family members. This also gives a second to think about what to say if getting to know each other. And yes it is much easier because I get nervous when texting some guys. Good Luck with everything!

What Girls Said 24

• I was born in 87 so you can do the math =P Since I grew up when cell phones, AOL, MSN, etc., let alone text messages weren't taking over our lives, and I would talk on the telephone with my classmates for hours, I would definitely prefer a phone call. But that's me, I'm old-fashioned.

Some guys don't want to call unless the call is going to be picked up (fear of rejection) so they'll text, "Can I call you?" It's like why waste a text? Just call! People are also busy at work or school so it's convenient to text. I get that part, but when you're both home relaxing after a long day, a call is sweet.

Some guys are more at ease with just texting, but you can't build a proper relationship through text; hearing each other speak by phone and in person is important, too. As much as I like talking on the phone, I get nervous as well, but I don't let it show nor let it control my decisions. I don't want myself regretting a missed opportunity and I end up having great conversations. Face your fears! Practice makes perfect. The more you call, the less nervous you'll get.

Also writing a paragraph in a text will save you the 10 minutes it took to write it and less than a minute to say it. =)

• I'd prefer a text the first time, just because phone calls with strangers can be awkward, which makes the meeting more awkward. Plus texts give you a chance to think of what to say! Just don't take to long to respond and don't keep texting after the conversation is clearly over.

• i hate phones. talking on the phone makes me nervous and leaves room for those awkward silences. I would much rather be texted.

• Call. everyone texts. and if you call you will stand out more and you will also get answers straight away rather than waiting for a reply. Every guy I have given my number to has texted and its a bit boring. I miss the good old days when they would have to call and you can hear in the voice if they really like you. and its always cute to hear if they're nervous.

• Yeah, the good old days. That's why you either convince them to call you, or just call them. Guys like girls who take the initiative. Less pressure for them.

• but then again its hard for the girl to call because she might seem clingy or full on. I swear I hate the whole not knowing what to do lol. if only life were easier when it came to this.

• Text if you want to chat... call if you want to ask me out.

• Start off with texts first so it's lt's less scary then after a bit you can meet in person, don't be chatting on the phone, in person is better.

• I think either could work. You might want to test the waters first by texting but be forewarned, if you text first you might come across as "aloof" or you might be misunderstood in text form sometimes. Either usual;ly works but on rare occasions you could accidentally make things awkward if you do the wrong thing.

• Both have pros and cons.

Texting, it makes it less scary to start off but it's harder to convey feelings and emotions, whereas if you called, it's more intimate but it forces both of you to respond right away and it may be more stressful.

When it's just casual things you say to each other, text. When you're making plans, call. Call and tell her you were thinking of her and you wanted to hear her voice (it's really cute). Have fun!

• I don't like when a guy calls me.

I don't really like when anyone calls me.

It makes me feel nervous and 'exposed' for some reason.

I can't think and am stressed out.

I like texting.

• i hate talking on the phone, I'm definitely part of the texting genereation

• texting gives me more time to think of a response, but I think it would be cool if a guy just called

(im 19)

• i've always preferred the traditional "call". It's fun because you can get to know the person and it's more of a "close" way to communicate. With text messages, you can't hear the tone of their voice, and you can sometimes perceive messages the wrong way. Of course, the first call you get from someone, could be awkward because you don't know what to say,but in the end, if the relationship has any potential, it'll all work out :)

• Either really. Texting kills my hand if it's a long chat, but holding a phone to my ear for an hour or two kills my arm as well! Actually, first time, text msy be better to further break the ice.

• Call me. That's why I would give you my #.

• Texting is better. The only time you should call is if your setting up a date. (I'm 18)

• I hate phone calls :x I get so nervous and awkward, haha, unless it's with a really good friend. I've always been that way, even before I had texting.

• I think it's better to call. It makes better impression. At least for me is much better than texting.

• text if you want to be friends...call if you want to date her.

• I would rather have a call. but either is fine.

• Text cause then you don't have to worry about awkward silences.

• I prefer a call. It's easy to text and takes more nerve to call.

• It's hard for a guy to grow on you if you can't hear his voice. Texting only works if you're already smitten with him.

• depends. starting a conversation with text is fine, but asking to do something should be a call.

• I have never had a guy call me on the phone and ask me out. After I've given them my number, they've texted me or asked me on through a private message on Facebook. I've never minded.

• asked me out through*

• if you just meet would it be awkward if he called and just chatted? Cause I find it is fine with girls in south america but UK (maybe similar to US) girl never pick up, shy of talking on the phone or something.

What Guys Said 15

• What was comfortable before texting, girls? I personally hate texting. It's so impersonal, especially when there is no tone of voice, no pace or ability for instant feedback.

I'm 30.

I remember the days before cell phones, DVDs, CDs, cell phones, Facebook, myspace, girls ask guys, email. Ah, I'm old, but not THAT old!

Heck, I'd write her a letter if she gave me her email address or even her physical address! Whatever it took to get that connection going.

• yes but phonecalls can get awkward, not texting

• I disagree. Texts can be just as awkward. I love to talk - actually got in trouble in fifth grade for talking too much...

• How are phone calls awkward?! I don't get it. If someone calls you, but has nothing to say, they're just trying to kill time and obviously means there is no chemistry/connection; so, stop talking to them! Lol, you can't build a bond through text. That's why it's hard sustaning anything anymore. My ex texted me almost everyday, but when it was time to meet, we argued. A relationship is a friendship but more physical. If there's no demonstration of love; a simple touch, it doesn't mean much.

• as much as I hate talking on the phone. I would rather do that instead of text. You can hear in her voice that she is interested in talking to you.

• I would say, if you asked for her number, then you should call her but make it short and sweet. Something like " Hey, just wanted to call and let you know I was thinking about you" That sorta thing.

If she gives you her number, I would say text her first and then see where it goes, maybe she will then call you or vice verse.

Either way, as the old dating rule goes. Whenever you get a girls number, wait 24 hours before calling her. Call her too soon and she might think you are desperate.

28 yrs. old btw

• Call, I can't stand texting to be honest. I like to know the person I'm talking to actualy is interestead in what I'm saying. If I can't have a 2 minute conversation on the phone than I hold little hope for an actual date.

• haha well put, even though it makes me nervous to talk on the phone, I still think I will call when setting up a date

• If a gal gives you a phone number, it's implied to call her like most phones are intended ... on the first call determine with her if texting is better for her.

If she doesn't like phone calls, then she can say "this is for texting only" with that number OR she can just give him her email address.

Guys can be proactive by just saying "thanks for the number, is it better to call or text?"

• First time talking to them, text them. If you want to ask them out on a date or something serious, call them, but that shouldn't really be on the first time you contact them.

• when I first get a girls number I will first text her so that she'll have my number and chat is up a little bit. When the time comes to ask her out I will call her (if I can't in person).

• D - A cat's fine too

• i think calling is better. people understand emotions better that way.

seeing the words is good too, I guess. but definitely not as good as talking on the phone.

• i don't call cause my phone doesn't have calling, only texting.

no girl has minded except my ex haha

• Texting at your age. More mature girls you should call.

• I would be okay with that if it was just a cold meeting. Because I could gauge our chemistry on the phone a bit and see if I'm interested in a date. I don't like talking on the phone generally though.

• as much as I hate texting girls love it so I would text.

• Um... not ALL girls love it, either... be careful with generalizations.

• If you hate it, you're going to hate being with a texter. They have no manners and will be glued to that machine. Girls like texting because they can be holding any nefarious, skanky conversation they want without you being the wiser.

• there is a difference between dating one and sleeping with one. I move around too much and I am not going to deal with a long distance relationship so my goals are more short term.

• prank call fo sho

• depends how much she likes you

• Well sh*t. I hate texting.