Taste in Music

Does musical taste have a bearing on whether you would date a guy or not?

Every girl I know says I like weird music, but it's the stuff I grew up listening to with my dad. I can't stand mom's country crap. I like mostly classic rock ie. Pink Floyd, Queen, AC/DC, The Who, CCR, Clapton, The Doors, Tom Petty, stuff like that. Are there any girls that like that kind of music?

Most Helpful Girl

• I like classic rock (I grew up listening to it with my dad too), but I listen to a lot more than that. Honestly, it kind of bothers me when anyone limits themselves to one genre, but you're basically limiting yourself to one decade in one genre. I like a guy in one of my classes who listens to a lot of classic rock, and I find his taste in music a little disappointing.

As my dad told me, the '70s were great, but they're over. I don't mean to sound harsh, I just think people should be able to respect the classics without dwelling on them.

• Sweet. I guess I'm not totally out of luck then. Some of the new stuff isn't too bad but I'd still rather listen to the classics. I've always wanted to play the guitar and I like listening to the solos and stuff. I'm also kind of history buff so maybe that has something to do with it too.

• What newer bands do you listen to? I think it's kind of funny, but my dad is really into Tool and System of A Down, and he listened to all the bands you named. Although, you didn't say Iron Maiden :\

What Girls Said 8

• hell yeee, I'm more interested in guys who listen to classic rock rather than country . if they don't listen to bands like yours then I consider it a turn-off . :)

• Well, to be honest, if the guy just listens to rap or country or whatever, they probably will find your bands unappealing and "weird". I personally, LOVE those bands. And yeah, you're missing The Beatles hahah. If I meet a guy who's so close minded about music or simply dislikes my music, I would not date him. Music is very important for me.

• Those girls are stupid and probably only listen to Kanye West and other shit. Classic rock = <3

But anyways, yes it does have an effect. It would be a rare circumstance that I would date a guy who is close minded in music or who just listens to only rap. It would drive me up a wall to not be able to share music. I don't know why, but it would.

• That's pretty much how all of them are. But I am pretty much a rock-only person. I guess I'll have to try and broaden my horizons.

• Yeah it's a good idea. Don't change yourself, but a few songs from different artists will work.

• Haha, honestly, that's basically all I listen to.

The guy I like listens to the same stuff too.

My only complaint is that I didn't see The Beatles on your list.

:)

• i like that kind of music, but I like a lot of other stuff, too.

a guy doesn't have to have the exact same taste in music as me, but he has to be open to most of it. and if he's always blasting really obnoxious music, it gets old pretty quickly

• I do :D

and I agree. Country is crap.

However, music generally doesn't influence whether or not I go out with a guy. I've been interested in people who love hip hop when I can't stand it.

• Oh my god those are the best bands ever. If I ever dated a guy who liked rap or something crappy like country I would totally dump him. So yeah it does matter but more girls like that kind of stuff than you would think

• Definitely! I'm into a ton of different stuff, but I really like all the bands you mentioned. I'm really really into music, more so than most people I'd say--I'd like to become a professional flautist, so music taste makes a pretty big impression on me.

What Guys Said 0