Why do we close our eyes when we kiss people?

Why do we close our eyes when we kiss people? I'm not questioning it, because I close my eyes when I kiss someone. I was just wondering, why does mankind do that? lol

lol..thanks guys!

Most Helpful Girl

• First of all, people shut their eyelids when kissing in order to avoid getting overwhelmed emotionally. Secondly, they do so in order to avoid seeing amorphous facial features of their partner up close.

The entire process of kissing triggers sensory overload, shutting our eyes, helps us reduce the emotional load.

There is also another viewpoint in regards to the issue. In the course of a kiss, you get to see blur, non 3D facial features; this can be quite repulsive. That is why we instinctively prefer to have our eyes shut while kissing.

The third reason, which isn't characteristic of everyone, is modesty. Some assume that people tend to close their eyes while kissing to put their partner at ease, so that he/she will not feel uncomfortable. It can also be seen as a sign of trust.

What Guys Said 1

• You're feeling the sensations as apposed to seeing them. Makes it more meaningful I suppose.

What Girls Said 3

• I have no idea :D apparently it is thought of as an erotic thing to do if you have your eyes open though :P

• well, there's not much to see when you're smack up next to someone's face :p you'd go go cross-eyed or something lol

• because you aren't thinking. you're relaxed and in the moment