Fever blister or something else?

I ave a big bump on my lip and it burns. My mom said it's a fever blister and she's always heard (from her mom) that you only get them after you have chicken pox/chicken pox shot (which I got last year). I started googling stuff to see what I could do to make it go away and I kept seeing websites that said fever blisters/cold sores were clusters of small bumps, they are a herpes virus, and you can only get them if you kiss somebody that has one (or does other stuff with them). The only thing is mine is one big bump and I don't know anyone that has ever had one or kissed anyone that has ever had one (I've never kissed anyone except for maybe my mom when I was little). I don't know if anyone can help me but if you can it would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I don't what you have, but you can get a type of herpes on your mouth that is just a cold sore. If that's what it is, you always have it, and you could have gotten it from your mom if it ever appeared on her at anytime and she came in contact with you. It just flares up sometimes, and other times it's dormant. The best thing to do is to not pick at it. And like the other poster said, you can put ice on it to help the swelling and redness.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• hi D:) I am sorry to hear that ,but Don't worry !may you come to these related site like "herpesanddating.net" for help, many stds people there .J.You can find someone to talk or get help! they experienced more and know more

• They arn't always clusters. If it hasn't busted open you should ice it for 15 minutes every hour or so . And if it has you should apply rubbing alcohol (it will burn but help) then a waxy lip balm like carmex or even vasaline once that drys repeat the alcohol it should go away in 2 days if you keep up with that(mine do) .There's no telling why it showed up.