I want to say that I am a black male. And, I am not head over hills for white women. I just won't to know something.
I was watching a movie on HBO titled "Our Family Wedding". A black guy was getting ready to marry a Hispanic girl. Well, during the wedding planning scene in the movie, the grandmother of the Hispanic woman wanted a traditional Mexican or Hispanic wedding (can't remember which). Anyway, the black guy's father said that, "We have some African American wedding traditions, too." And, a black woman looked at the father and said, "We do? Like what?" LOL
Anyway, this made me think about when I hear people, especially blks & whites in America, say things about dating someone of the same culture when it comes to blks & whites dating. We blks don't have a "different" culture from whites. Of course, certain things vary from family to family --that goes for white & black families. But, blks in America don't have some distinct culture from whites.
1. Both celebrate d same holidays. XMas, Thanksgiving, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, New Year's Eve. And, we celebrate them the same way. Same food, same alcohol, same grill :-) , etc.--- 99% of blacks don't even know what Kwanza is.
2. We wear the same clothes. I'm not talking about Hip Hop clothing vs goth/country/rocker clothing. I mean a wh doctor wears the same thing as a blk doctor. A blk lawyer wears the same thing as a white lawyer. A white rap star wears the same thing as black rap star.
3. Most blacks/whites claim xtianity..
4. If you are a churchgoer, most go on the same days and during the same hours. I'm not a churchgoer, but I suppose some black churches, not all, may be a little rowdier than whites.
5. We drive the same cars. I refer back to number 2 here. There are some variances. Musicians, wh & blk may dress up their cars. I mean the average person, however. There is no particular car that whites or blks prefer. Most buy what they can afford, or what they think they can afford.
6. We liked the same sports. American whites & blks both love football, basketball, baseball. Maybe hockey. What I mean is that we in America aren't big on soccer or polo.
7. We listen to the same music, basically. I know rock/country is probably mostly consumed by whites. But, I know blks who like rock/country. I, myself, love folk music--Amos Lee, Ray Lamontagne. We know a large number of whites love rap. Clubs couldn't function without it ;-)
8. Both love to hunt/fish. I don't understand either.
9. Both have family reunions, which are dumb.
10. Both, basically, watch the same movies.
11. Rich blks are a**holes like rich whites.
Since the overwhelming majority of blacks are descendants of slaves, we don't have a culture different than that of whites. I'm not saying that it is a good or bad thing. I'm just saying that it is a thing. I can understand Asians/Hispanics but blks & whites?
So, can a wh/blk tell me this vastly different culture I have from whites?
Most Helpful Girl
lawyers wear the same things because they both work in the corporate world and have to fit in and adhere to professional standards. but people in their personal lives, take college kids and high schoolers. black people have a little bit more swag than whites, we wear brighter colors, guys don't wear flip flops, the girls dress a little sexier and we accessorize more. white people dress plainer. we do kinda dress like jersey shore/jerseylicious stereotypes though. of course not ALL of us do but I was watching jerseylicious and noticed that they dress like the stylish black girls I know
we do have our own culture. yeah we have similarities since we live in the same country but its different. and before you ask no I am not hood and did not grow up in the hood, I am suburban and we still are black people that are not completely like whites. also African Americans don't even like baseball like that, now Afro LATINOS do but not us and not hockey either. you sound kind of assimilated like you hang out with more white people and adopted their culture so maybe you would think that, but as a black person that associates with more blacks we are different than most white people and don't have as much in common as you're saying.0