Is it weird to start really liking a girl you met online?

We have never met in person. I actually met her on this site, which is why I am going anon.

We started talking at least a year and a half back. She was dating someone, as was I. So we would always kinda talk and give advice/vent.

Things had always been pretty flirty with her, but more recently it has gotten more so. We go out of our way to be able to talk with each other and spend hours at a time on IM. We e-mail back and foward quiet a bit as well.

She's a really awesome girl, and I can't seem to get her out of my head. It's pretty evident that we like each other, and has even been expressed flat out before as well.

But I've been developing some really real feeling for her. Feelings beyond a simple innocent crush or just liking her.

She's an amazing person and always makes me laugh, she is really smart, and that's actually a big thing for me, I'm not shallow or anything, but she is also absolutely gorgeous.

I am a bit on the awkward side of things, and nothing I say turns out right, but she totally gets me. I don't have to explain myself and she already knows what I meant. She is the same way too. And I totally get her. Our personalities and stuff just get along so well and she keeps a constant smile on my face.

Like even just randomly through the dayI will think of her and get the biggest grin.

Is it weird to develop these sort of feelings for someone you have never met in person? And what should I do? We live pretty far apart in different countries.

Like if I knew she was down to try some sort of long distance thing, I would do it in a heart beat, but I'm not sure if she feels the same way about that, and at the same time I don't want to scare her off or make things weird between us.

All help is appreciated :)

Most Helpful Girl

• No, not weird at all. Look at how much online dating is taking off. It's one of the best ways to meet new people. What should you do? Maybe tell her you like her, start there, see how things go. Long distance relationships are difficult, but not impossible if it's temporary. Bottom line is you can't change how you feel, so you might as well go with it and see where it takes you. Better than not and regretting it, yeah?

• haha I was military. I got the long distance thing down no problem.

I like this answer though. Nothing to lose huh?

• Gotcha. This distance just makes it weird. If we lived close I have very little doubt that she would turn down a date. Never had to handle anything like this though, so it makes it a little harder to handle.

• Sounds like she likes you, too. Might as well talk to her and see how she feels. You never know unless you try. :)

What Girls Said 4

• not weird. unrealistic? yes.

• It's not weird but you need to be careful about meeting people online. Not in the "they may harm you" sort of way, but when you're talking to someone youve never met you're imagination can go wild and you could definitely be let down when you meet them in real life. It's best to meet someone asap when you are talking to them online.

• i wouldn't call it weird

• it's not weird, but don't let yourself fall too hard for her seeing as you don't really know her

• How would I not really know her if we have been talking on a fairly regular basis for over a year?

• exactly. your are getting the best version of a person online, of course nobody shows their bad side, they have complete control of their imagine of themselves to you, don't fall for that imagine.

• But it's not like she has been trying to present a certain side of herself the entire time. Like when we began talking as friends, we talked about real life stuff, and that includes the negatives and such as well. I would understand if intentions were dating from day one there would be some deceit in the character of the person. But I have seen all sides as well.

What Guys Said 1

• Been there done that my friend, and let me tell you, it ended in some pretty substantial heartbreak. Word of advice, don't invest more than she's willing to invest because it WILL come back to bite you in the ass. Personally I'd say don't let yourself get too invested seeing as that she lives in another country but since you've already seemingly done that, the best you can do is try to keep your emotions in check and remind yourself its unrealistic. Sorry man, but trust me, I know.