Went on a date but it made me miss my ex even more, advice?

So after a whirlwind of emotional turmoil over the last month, I finally decided to give up the ghost with my Ex. Tuesday was the last time we spoke and it didn't go very well at all, so I firmly told myself to commit to walking away.

Went out on a date Saturday with a girl I had met online and have been chatting with for the last week or so, and we had a great time. I can tell she's really into me, and the night ended on a high note. We didn't get into bed together, but there was certainly a connection.

Getting up this morning though, I felt really guilty and missed my Ex horribly. As bad as we have been to each other over the last month I thought that somebody new would help put my Ex out of mind... all it did though was bring her fully back into my thoughts.

Am I just digging my hole deeper at this point? I am totally at a loss.

Most Helpful Girl

• You're on the right path, but it takes time. Also, you're bound to make a few rocky starts with new people before you find someone you're able to connect with on a substantive level. Just because your date went well doesn't mean that your heart's ready to jump into a big new relationship. Take the date for what it is -- a date.

If you're still feeling this sort of guilt six months down the road, it's best to go to professional counseling so you are certain to mend your heart after the obvious emotional scarring you've experienced.

• I continued to see this same girl after the first date. We're doing very well together so far, and my ex... Well, I've all but forgotten about her ;-)

• Yay, that's GREAT! Thanks for the update.

What Girls Said 3

• you are not fully over her but going on random dates and using those girls to get over your ex is not cool and the ultimate way. Give yourself some time without women.

• It takes time, you will forget her eventually. But it seriously takes time and it's good you are trying to move on.

• did she end it or did you?

• She did; back at the end of May. We got back together after 2 weeks of being apart and then she called it off again after another week. It was after the second dump that I went on the date; when I finally realized that we were just playing games.

What Guys Said 1

• you did the right thing. going out more is good. you will get over her man. I know exactly how you feel. just about over my x. good luck to you