When 2 people of the opposite gender hang out alone, is it automatically considered a date?

So I'm 23 and single and I have a lot of guy friends. In the past this was never an issue for me, perhaps because I just never thought about it but as I get older and become more aware of my actions and how it may look to other people, I'm starting to ask questions. there's a guy that I want nothing but pure friendship with, and I don't think he's after anything more either. however up until this point we've only hung out in groups. we had plans to hang out with another group again tonight but everyone ditched except for us 2...i wanna pitch an idea to him for just us 2 to go and hang out tonight since we both don't have plans, but I don't want it to seem like I'm hitting on him or for him to get the wrong idea. should I ask? will he get the wrong idea?

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't consider it a date unless it was agreed to be such. It's happened to me before, so I wouldn't worry about it.

What Guys Said 5

• It's not a date unless one of them is paying.

• No unless it's agreed. If you two act like it's a date though I like to call it a subtle date.

• No that's not quite how things work

• Sitting on the couch playing nintendo doesn't automatically qualify as a date.

• No, its not a date if you are just hanging out. The fact that you have been hanging out in a group in the past makes it even less like a date. You are friends. When you decide that just the two of you want to go out together alone, and make it a date, then its a date.

What Girls Said 3

• no. I used to go over to my one guy friend's house all the time! it never even crossed my mind to go out with him. we'd go to the movies, watch movies at his house, walk around, hang with other people together...

then we stopped hanging out I don't know why and like a year or two later he got a girlfriend. we'd go out when they would fight but I still saw him as a friend.

• Definitely not. Guys and girls can be just friends without having it mean anything more than that

• It depends on if he gets play or not. If he doesn't get any action from girls, he'll consider it something special and that you probably owe him some sex for "being there for you." If he gets play from chicks, he'll consider it hanging out and potentially a chance to bone you. Guy's friendships with females ALWAYS revolve around getting some action.