Is a 13 year age difference a problem?

I am 24 and the man I just started dating is 37. I am completing my Masters degree and am quite independent. He has a very stable job and our conversation flows great. He loves to travel as do I. We both share a passion for life. Yet, I am worried as the relationship progresses he will want to see more qualities of an older woman. But then many say marriages last longer between an older man and younger women.

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like a great foundation for a relationship. There are no guarantees and I can see no reason not to give it a shot until it stops working, I doubt if someone your age is what you're looking for in a partner, certainly men your age who can travel and travel well are rare.

What Guys Said 5

• You're right, assuing he's not wanting a younger woman who'll do what he tells her to, he'll start wantng someone closer to his own age he can communicate with. Either way it's not healthy: at those ages, 13 years is a whole generation.

Of course many women want to be in a father-daughter type relationship--but don't kid yourself it will ever be equal...

• There's ages old stereotypes involved, most of which are uncertain because no two people are the same. I presume the maturity older guys want isn't that difficult to achieve.

All guys want an awesome woman to marry, they don't want to settle for less. Hence all the "commitment issues"; I believe this is a truth nobody has the balls to drop on the respective person (the girl asks why the guy doesn't want to marry her, he responds with "not ready" instead of "you're not _the one_")

Some older guys want to bring back the flame of being young, others want something serious like raising a family. In order to maximize the attraction level, a younger girl must balance all areas of her life (sexual, romantic, career/studies - morals that are compatible with the guy).

• You are both adults, both share common interests and by sounds of it you are both into each other. What's the problem?

I think if you were a bit younger then the age gap might be an issue but as it is, no I don't see a problem with it.

If you both love each other and make each other happy then there's no problem at all.

Be happy and do what makes you happy :)

• It really depends on your situation more than anything else.

He might want to see qualities of an older woman, but do you know what those qualities are and how you can go about getting them? If there are some traits that an older woman might have that you can't, then hopefully your boyfriend will still accept you.

It's hard to know how much these qualities that you lack affect what you already have between each other, without knowing what those qualities are.

• Yes it is, kinda old enough to be your Dad

What Girls Said 2

• too big in my opinion

• Eish...I don't know.For me personally 7 and above is ridiculous.I also think it's a lie that marriages between an older man(like 7 and above) and a younger woman will last because I think your likes will totally differ thus more fights.I feel like the older guy will take advantage of me,control me and will always want things his way.He may act like a father to me and hence rlationshp will be boring.